The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

I give up!!

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

I give up!!

Post by wixwacing »

Over the last few years I have tried to understand what makes rubber tyres go hard and brittle,and worst of all, cause an oily slick to spread over everything within cooey! I have tried everything. In this particular case the rear tyres on a 'Sloter' Lola (which I have had and raced on and off for three years) had been replaced with MJK's and were sealed in a zip bag in the model's box. The model was stored in a cool part of the garage and only taken out for race meetings. the model was last raced about eight weeks ago and this week when I opened it not only had the tyres in the airtight bag gone hard and oily......the front tyres which have always been on the front, had done exactly the same thing at the same time! Got me beat? To my knowledge this has been happening since the 1970's were I first noticed it with MRRC model tyres.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Re: I give up!!

Post by dangermouse »

Yep - I don't have many shelf queens but have had this happen to one of my cars, which was sitting on the shelf looking pretty - makes you wonder what the tyres are actually made of.

David
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

They are simply trying to revert to the state nature made them in, which in this case is oil.
The Racer Administrator
Roger Miller
Spectator

Post by Roger Miller »

Howdy,

I recently left these tires, brand new out of the bag that day, in the sun, approx 23 degrees, not in bag not in a box, for no longer than 20 minutes, whilst re-arranging my stuff, to find this.

So it doesn't take long for these things to go belly up.

Last edited by Roger Miller on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Latest victims are the front tyres on my Carrera DeTomaso and McLaren M20 I've got MJK's on the rear so they escaped! Fortunately the MJK 4206 (Pro Slot 19m.m.) tyres go straight on the fronts!!! Pheeeew!

frank9129
Spectator

Post by frank9129 »

I have a theory about why tires get hard and oily.
I host races for kids. They only have one speed. Flat out into the next corner. After about a year of torture the tires are worn out.
When there is a wreck the cars behind try to push their way through the pile. Tires get hot from the rubbing on the track. A few minutes later a new heat starts and the cars sit and cool off. After several heats the tires have gone through several cycles.
By the next race they have developed a little shine. Sanding helps but the tires are shot. Then they get hard and oily.
I believe heating and cooling is the problem I am having.
Frank
Crab Ally Speedway
Annapolis, MD
460cixy
Spectator

Post by 460cixy »

I've had them go rock hard but never seen them get oily like that. I wonder about what some people are putting on there tyres to clean them ect then that product getting on the track surface and what effect that may have on tyres
frank9129
Spectator

Post by frank9129 »

I don't put anything on my tires. I don't want to clean it off my track.
I have a 4'x16' routed oval I call Crab Alley Speedway. The tires lay down a nice layer of rubber and tires stick to the corners.
Frank
Crab Ally Speedway
Annapolis, MD
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Yep, there's no rhyme or reason for it that I know, I can't even pin it down to specific makes.