A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

power supply

How DO they do that??
bozcorp61
Spectator

power supply

Post by bozcorp61 »

Hi All
I would like some info on buying a power supply for our tracks. We have AFX Magnatraction trucks and trailers as well as some late model cars on standard AFX track , the other track is carerra track and we run cars from the 60's to current. I have been trying to do some research on this andi now am even more confused than ever.The old dick smith power supply keeps on coming up but they are only available second hand. Any help you could give us would be great.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: power supply

Post by kenneth »

Try one of these - have been using one of these for a couple of years - good value. variable voltage - no reason why It can`t be used on both your tracks
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... TID=999#12
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Thanks i'll give one a try :grin:
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Post by dangermouse »

You may find something suitable here
http://www.armchairracer.com.au/index.p ... 527g1076d1

cheers
DM
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

the Mp3800 is $50 cheaper at armchair as opposed to jaycar - same powersupply
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Thanks for your help fella's . I'm on the sunshine coast QLD and the postage would kill interstate purchase , i'll just go to jaycars on the coast and have a look.
Next Question What is the advantage of having adjustable amps
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Post by dangermouse »

Don't think there is any real advantage in adjustable amps for slot cars. As far as I am aware - the cars will take the amps they need, i.e. at start up they need more than when they are running. Therefore if you have a 5 amp power supply then if the motor needs 3A it will use it (most scalextric type cars probably draw 1A or so at start up) and then it will only draw 1A as it runs.

David
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

To add the DMs answer, a slot.it orange end motor at full throttle will draw about 1.5amps, but with amps the greater the load the greater the draw of amps - as stated it use what it needs.
So if you run slot.its on hi mag on the carrera track then the motor will draw more amps.
About 5-6 amps for a two lane mag track - but as a general rule about 2amps per lane, but thats on wood, so no mag load on the car.
bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Thanks for the explanation, i understand what your saying about the amperage now.The jaycar unit runs 15 amps continuous so there is plenty to use for a 2 lane track of any kind. Thanks for all the answers to my questions youve been a big help. :grin:
quakesim
Spectator

Post by quakesim »

Have you checked the postage cost from Armchair racer as I get parts from them all the time and I am on The Gold Coast and postage is never an issue.

Kev