The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Mt Perrorama - Caloundra

Local tracks and articles
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Mt Perrorama - Caloundra

Post by wixwacing »

It's not very often a person gets to race on a really fabulous slotcar track, One that has enough features to keep you occupied, and also one that flows so nicely that you just don't want to get off. This track was the brainchild of local racer Glen Perrin and he had assistance from another local slotista, Paul Stevens, who laid the track down as a CAD file so the local timber board shop could route it in its perfection. Paul's track is also a masterpiece (see Mount Ommaney - this section). The track location is on the Sunshine Coast hinterland and the views up and down the coast are spectacular!

So what else makes it a great track. The scale of it is awesome, it has its own raceroom and a luxurious ante room for the bench racers. Another feature is that it has only one straight.......all the rest are curves!!! The track is five lanes of magnabraid which makes for a packed field at times and the system is wired so that at a click of the mouse the track can be set up for 1/24 scale racing on three lanes. This disables lane two and four and leaves one, three and five on the computer. There is a variable power supply and racing is managed by the popular VRS racing systems.

So let me take you on a hot lap. From the start line you drive almost without backing off into turn one which is a right hand sweeper. From here it is flat out across the skyline, bent to the left, hard braking takes you into turn two which is a right hand carousel. Three quarters throttle will take you round this and a short stab on its exit will position you for turn three which on most lanes is a high speed left hander. Another 'yaw' up to turn four and this is a tighter left hander which is almost a hairpin for the inside lanes. It's off then on the only straight under the skyline and into a sweeping right hander which is turn five, leaving you with a smooth right - left while braking for right hand turn six. A left curve places you at the apex of turn seven which can need some quick thinking on the inner lanes and a stab on the controller will leave you at turn eight, a steady right hander and entry onto the start finish straight.

But, enough chat, just take a look at the following pictures.............and drool!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Re: Mt Perrorama - Caloundra

Post by dangermouse »

Excellent report Phil

I have posted some videos from Saturday here
http://www.slotcarouthouse.com/viewtopi ... 3399#p3399

cheers
DM
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Phil thank you for your generous and kind words regarding the track. The best thing about track ownership is seeing the guys faces light up when they first lay eyes upon it. I always try to be there for that moment. Hearing comments such as yours is equally satisfying and very much appreciated. I must add that along with Paul's CAD assistance I also had a great deal of help from John Van Egmond (Eggy) and continue to do so, Peter Shannon who kept us all on track with the build and painting and Mark Adam's who worked in the trenches with his sanding and filling help. Without these guys I would still be down stairs with the tools and dust.

I invite anyone wishing to try the track out to just contact me or Phil through this board as I am always looking for an excuse to have a run on the track, day or night.

Cheers,

Perro
methomann6868
Telemetry

Post by methomann6868 »

Hi Glen i would love to come up again at sometime and have a practice with maybe some new cars to set up my cars and run to see how they go. :grin: Whenever you have some free time.
Lets go Racing

Rhys McCormick
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

So when I come up to QLD in September/October, I know where I want to visit.... :D
The Racer Administrator
Buzzard
Telemetry

Post by Buzzard »

Cyph wrote:So when I come up to QLD in September/October, I know where I want to visit.... :D
Hi Rob,

When you come up to QLD, bring some of your cars and try to tell everyone when you are going for a spin on Perro's track and we will see if we can give you some competition.

You have to try some Carrera 1/24th scale on this track..... after 20 or so laps, there is still only about 300mm(1 foot in the old money) between all 5 lanes.

Looking forward to your trip.
Cheers
Kev.

I don't suffer from senility.
I enjoy every minute.
gvk77
Spectator

Post by gvk77 »

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and am heading up to the sunshine coast this weekend and was inquiring if this track is available to come have a race on. I'm currently been racing down at ''Ilol industries" on the gold coast but since I was getting away for the weekend it would interesting to try a new track while I'm up this way and address or contact number to call if possible ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Grant Kirkbeck
0411 86 99 77
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Code: Select all

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and am heading up to the sunshine coast this weekend and was inquiring if this track is available to come have a race on. I'm currently been racing down at ''Ilol industries" on the gold coast but since I was getting away for the weekend it would interesting to try a new track while I'm up this way and address or contact number to call if possible ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Hi gvk77 I just got back from a weekend away with the Packrats motorcycle club up at Noosa North Shore so I am sorry I missed your message on Friday. I rode out on Friday morning and just got back tonight. If you want to try again please let me know. Visitors are always most welcome.

Regards,

Glen (Perro)