A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Need help, I'm new... Car not gripping on track

Squeezing out those last few tenths
JonathanPoll
Spectator

Need help, I'm new... Car not gripping on track

Post by JonathanPoll »

Hello,

As you can see, I'm new here. My name is Jonathan Poll, and I'm 14 years old. 2 days ago, I was given 2 old slot car sets. One matchbox, and the other Scalextric. The Scalextric one is only a set of extra parts, not a set with all the power.
The matchbox one is fine, been using it a bit, but only 2 of 4 cars are fine. 1 has no tires ( perished off ) and the other has tires that I superglued on because they kept coming of the rims. Those tires have not gripped even before I glued them. They still dont grip. The tires feel hard, unlinke the 2 cars that run fine.
This is what the track is like ( so you ,now what version of slot car ) Image
And this is the same car ( just different body, but same insides ) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... dtrack.JPG ( wont embed it cos the image is too big )

Thanks, Jonathan
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Need help, I'm new... Car not gripping on track

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Jonathan

These models look like the Matchbox HO scale cars, It sounds like the tyres are the problem. I'm not sure where we can get tyres for these. I suspect a local model/toy shop is the answer. Maybe someone else who reads this might know?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
JonathanPoll
Spectator

Post by JonathanPoll »

wixwacing wrote:Hi Jonathan

These models look like the Matchbox HO scale cars, It sounds like the tyres are the problem. I'm not sure where we can get tyres for these. I suspect a local model/toy shop is the answer. Maybe someone else who reads this might know?
hi,
Is there any way to " restore the stickyness " to them?
Jonathan
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Jonathan,

Once natural rubber tyres harden or form a 'crust' they have degraded chemically and are irretrievable. Sometimes you can sand off the crust on the tread area and they will be OK for a little while.

I have had a look about and found this site which seems pretty switched on when it comes to HO tyres and wheels.

You might like to drop them a line or contact them on their site

HO Slotcar Racing/tyres

HO Slotcar racing/Home

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
JonathanPoll
Spectator

Post by JonathanPoll »

Thanks, very usefull! I will contact them soon. Also, any tips on repairing a rusty matchbox track? I started using a stanley blader, but then I saw that itq not a good idea :shock:

Jonathan
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Post by dangermouse »

Hi Jonathan

not sure where you are -the cars are similar to the AFX cars so you could try getting AFX spares. You could try picking up an AFX tuning kit I have seen them at KMart and BigW for about $7 or take the cars to your local hobby shop they should have a box of AFX spares so you can buy a suitable sized tyre to fit.

cheers
DM