The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Sprit BMW 1600 or 2002

Squeezing out those last few tenths
coldshooter
Spectator

Sprit BMW 1600 or 2002

Post by coldshooter »

I have recently made some conversions to a Sprit BMW 2002 to allow for board track racing. The first items were to add a Slot.it axel kit with 11:27 gearing and silicones on the rear. Wheels have little clear space so they will be in smaller sizes. Remove the front axel and tires and use a hollow one with BWA hubless small wheels use plugs in the axel to allow wheels to spin independantly. Sand a set of tires from the spares box to clear the fenders. Remove magnet. It was clear at this point even with the chassis weighted that the stock motor was a bit more power than desired. Convert to an NC1 or BWA NC1 spec motor with the NC1 motor mount. Tie motor in with safety wire to eliminate vibration and hop. This car is now 1 to 2 seconds faster on the 165 foot board track here than with the much more powerful motor. It is drivable, competes well with Ninco Classics and similar conversions of Revell Simcas Trabants and NSUs. The NC1 in a small car is great sport. I have converted a Slot.it Alfa Can Am car to NC1 and it runs slightly faster than with the stock motor because the power is controlable.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Sprit BMW 1600 or 2002

Post by kenneth »

Gday & welcome.
You won`t get any argument around here about NC1 spec motors. Alot of us here love them. I am in the process of changing all my FF can motors with the BWA NC1 Spec FF can. Things like the Revell & MRRC Porsche 550, 904 & 910 run so much better with this speed motor.
As all that i race keep hearing - don`t know why Ninco has started putting NC5s in the classics - stupid move.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Re: Sprit BMW 1600 or 2002

Post by Deslotted »

Hi Coldshooter,
I like the way youve thought about the Bee Em.
good to see yet another fan of "less is more" scenario.

Jordan's right on the money with the BWA F can conversions too.

Drivability is everything unless Youre a drag racer.

Regards Ted