The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Classic Scalextric, Wellington Point (dismantled)

Local tracks and articles
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Classic Scalextric, Wellington Point (dismantled)

Post by wixwacing »

Classic Scalextric
Queensland Style

Overall track view. Drivers stand at the opposite end

This last Friday just passed, a small group of dedicated Scalextric drivers congregated at a location in South East Queensland for the inaugural race meeting on the new Scalextric Classic Circuit of Bill ‘the Legend’ Holmes.

TV crew turned up for the occaision

Bill has had a home circuit for many years now and as he is probably one of the country’s leading authorities on Classic Scalextric it was inevitable that all his circuits would reflect the diversity of Scalextric products over the decades. The new layout is no exception and it has incorporated many classic features such as the Goodwood Chicane, the Pit lane and the Grande Bridge. Trackside buildings include the rare Refreshment Hut, Owners Stands and the much sort after Control Tower. All in first class condition.

The West side feasturing a landscaped Goodwood Chicane

As well as track and building features it goes without saying that the vast majority of cars raced on the track are Classic Scalextric too. Friday evening was no exception and on to the track went cars that some aficionados would shudder to see removed from their boxes. The format for the most part was to place two compatible cars on the track and leave them there for the duration. Only the drivers changed lanes. The computerised race manager ensured drivers raced both lanes and overall results were automatically collated at the end of each event.

Ferrari 156's

All cars used had been given the once over prior to the evening’s events and first up where two mint condition Ferrari 156’s circa 1964. Both cars drove impeccably having had the axle bearing slack reduced and the motors secured. 20 laps at an average of 10 seconds a lap saw close racing and close results. Both models completed the event with exhausts intact.

Ferraris at the timekeepers hut
The second event saw a brace of Australian made Lotus sixteens take to the start line. In spite of being over forty years old both models were a delight to drive. The motors were good and tyres even better.

Hard to find in good condition, unique Aussie colours!

Other models raced over the course of the evening were Lamborghini Miuras, Ford Mirages and Ford 3.0 litres in the big Johnson Lemans class. BMW M1s, Lancia Betas and Ferrari GTOs in the GT class. An SCX Ibiza raced alongside SCX and Autoart Xsaras in the Rally class and the final event was contested by March sixwheelers, MRRC FW07 Williams and a Scalextric Brabham BT49 in the Small Johnson GP class.

Well matched models

There was a guest appearance and demo drive of an immaculate Scalextric Ferrari 250 Berlinetta. The evening was interspersed with plenty of food and drink breaks, Pizza, beer and red wine was consumed in enough quantity to complete the evening. Results were collated and at the end of the evenings racing I finished in front of local Legend Garry Russell by one second after a combined total of thirty nine minutes racing! Bill duly presented the prizes and more beer was passed round.

A costly group of 60's sports cars!

The evening was drawn to a close sometime after midnight and we agreed it was probably the best racing any of us had had in a good long while. The track was laid down some few weeks ago and for a short while ideas were thrown about til the final track was laid by its owner. The circuit was driven regularly in its raw state for some time to ensure it was acceptable. When the final layout was laid, the landscaping and track accessories were added.

Big can Johnson muscle

The latest offerings from leading manufacturers are just as at home on this circuit. Trans Ams to F1’s all drive well. In keeping with the theme, 25 ohm Scalextric ‘Race Tuned’ controllers with brakes are used. These have a very short stroke on the trigger but once you have mastered them they are excellent. Fortunately for me the track is only 75 metres from my house so it is inevitable that it will get a regular working out!

A good place for a Grandstand

Refreshment Hut complete with urns and display cases

Pit lanes on the main straight

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!