The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Russell's Peak (dismantled)

Local tracks and articles
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Russell's Peak (dismantled)

Post by wixwacing »

New to the southern Bayside is an unofficially named track which I call ‘Russell’s Peak’. The track is the brainchild and work of art of Red Team member Garry Russell. Garry has already built a board track some years back and recently decided to put his modelling skills to the test once more. This time, and inspired by the Group 5 Rally DVD’s he decided to make his own Pike’s peak. As you read on you will agree that Garry has made a first class job of this and has boldly applied ideas and technique missing from many a lesser track.

Top Loop

The track, as can be seen, is a single lane hill climb with turning circles top and bottom. Garry intentionally made the driving surface narrow as he wanted users to have to learn the track to the last pebble. Too much power can see you bouncing off the rock faces and not enough ‘tail out’ will see the rear of the model hook up on some erstwhile fencing. In places there are also spots were the track surface has some variations in it. This requires the model to be set up well and long braids or a sprung guide work the best!

The Quarry

The top and bottom loop are on forward power and the climb / descent is connected via a DPDT latching relay to a pair of micro switches mounted in the loops. Driving the loops and tripping the switches reverses the polarity of the track proper. Timing equipment has been left off the track intentionally. Garry didn’t want it to be a source of competition, more a device for honing car control skills.

Looking down from the top

The landscaping has been meticulously applied and it is hard to realise that it is chicken wire covered with cloth and plaster. A first class painting job has transformed the layout into an amazing track. Garry experimented with a couple of fencing stiles but eventually opted for some early Scalextric track fencing to create a single rail fence on the outer edges.

Bottom Loop

A novel way of building the track was also employed. A lot of these types of track simply zig-zag their way up to the top. With this layout, the slot was cut firstly into a single sheet of MDF. The track edges were then cut to allow the MDF to be raised. Garry then set about lifting the track in some places and fixing it lower in others to give a stunning three dimensional drive which alters in height continuously. The track heights were established and a wood frame was made under each height decision and the track was screwed and glued to various supports putting the MDF under great initial pressure to change shape but achieving rises and drops and reverse cambers.

First time on and you think, ‘this is a bit hard!’ but after picking the right model, and adjusting the braids, you are soon sweeping up and down in an effortless rhythm. The models sweep their way up round sharp hairpins and twisting rock faces and enjoy a short burst at the top on the last straight, round the loop and a semi coast to the bottom once more.

Mid Climb

As with Garry’s other creation, this track has separate controls to adjust power and brakes. This enhances the track’s drivability and helps some of the more brake prone models to be tuned to flow.

To finish off there are some well placed trees and the backboard is painted sky effect. Well done Garry and I look forward to giving this a good tryout on race nights!

Russell's Peak - youtube

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!