The "EGGDOME" Buderim

Local tracks and articles
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

The "EGGDOME" Buderim

Post by wixwacing »

The EGG-DOME
Buderim

This track is another great board track easily accessed by Brisbane slot car racers. It is on the north coast about an hour from the Brisbane CBD at Buderim and is at the home of one of the local racing scenes longer term members. The track is located in its own race room, a room given over to motor sport both real and scale. Not only is the track there but the owner has ensured that attendees can bathe in the delights of motorsport past and present with the aid of an overhead TV projector which covers the end wall of the room! With an array of DVD's at hand and surround sound you can immerse yourself in movies and documentaries from all eras.

The track itself has been designed after much thought and the features carry depth beyond the average circuit. Firstly, the unusual driving positions call for the driver to learn two different tracks!. Two lane positions are on one side of the track and the other two are opposite! The main straight contains the timing lights and the start line. The start line being offset from the lights by a metre or so. Beside the start line is a small hut with the start sequence lights mounted through the roof, giving a series of red lights and a random green to start the race. The practicing and racing is managed by a popular computer program and drivers are randomly cycled across all lanes during the heats which make up the race. A great system as it does away with the outdated practice of running qualifying heats and finals.

The track itself is routed MDF and is another track with a three dimensional aspect. Cuttings and fly overs ensure the track has a whole bunch of features to keep the racers busy. Carefully selected 'squeeze' areas spring up on the unwary driver and lightening reactions are called on to avoid impending disaster.

Once raced for an hour or so it is easier to judge the passing places and the tight spots and as you race on, so the track flows more and more. The circuit takes off from the start line and goes over a shallow rise and on to the first bend which is a grade two right hander.

This is a fairly slow right hander which leads into the second flat out section, rising all the way to the highest part of the track.

Turn two, a grade four sweeping right hander with a short straight section in the middle, takes you onto the third flat out section which passes under the previous straight, it has a left curve and the centre two lanes converge below the flyover.

Two main things to watch for here are firstly, lighter models can adopt a straight on direction here coming out of the dip and secondly, the convergence, as previously mentioned can catch adjacent centre lane drivers out if they're not paying attention. A converging grade three left hander takes you onto the overhead chicane which takes the track across straight two.

This is a strictly 'single file, Indian style' short straight with even the two outside lanes having to give way. A short left sees the track widen and pass through a couple of smooth 'Esses' into the last grade three right hander which is a mini sweeper turning out onto the start straight.

You still need to pay attention here as the lane spacing is close enough for models to nerf the opposition.

A good average lap for most classes is about seven seconds or just below with faster classes running in the 6.2's. The lap record is 5.8 set by Slot-Legend Lindsay Smith with a slotit Porsche.

The track is another great 'high talent' drivers circuit. You need to read the field continuously and stay out of back marker troubles in the squeezes. The track is easily marshalled by three people and there aren't any really inaccessible parts ( although, if you drop off the outside edge of turn three, you could be there for a while!)

Any slot racer living on the North coast wishing to visit John and the track can contact me in the first instance at pwix@yahoo.com or phone me at 3822 7003

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
MrHDT
Telemetry

Re: The "EGGDOME" Buderim

Post by MrHDT »

Hi,

I had the privilege of racing at this track for the first time last Saturday with some unfamiliar cars. And boy what an impression it’s left me with. 8)
It’s simply a great little track built into the ultimate man cave with great atmosphere courtesy of a decent sound system, good music, and indeed a fantastic host. :grin:
Oh yes and the racing was also a lot of fun. I thank you Mr Egg but be warned… we’ll be back! :wink:

Steve
MrHDT