Mobile Motorsport (out of use)

Local tracks and articles
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Mobile Motorsport (out of use)

Post by wixwacing »

Mobile Motorsport
Trailer Track

A couple of years back now a good friend of mine decided he’d had enough of the 9 to 5 or more accurately the 7 to 3.30! And after some consideration, made the move to finish his employment forthwith. With the empty days stacked up ahead of him he gave some thought to what he might like to do and after several non starts in the job application business he decided he could better fill his time with something more meaningful. So, he set about building a mobile track.

The whole thing was built from the ground up. The trailer was constructed from components under his home in Brisbane and was built specifically to accommodate a track. The track had been drawn out and it was planned to have a split elevation to increase interest and to allow for more track. It was always intended, too, to have the complete track finished with proper landscaping and buildings.

The trailer was finally constructed using readily available components and the work proper was started on the circuit. Thinner board than previously employed was used to allow the track surface to be bent and shaped onto its final three dimensional appearance. Next, with the help of another good friend, the track slowly took shape.

With the main track surface complete, the landscaping was started and work began on the buildings. As you can see from the pictures, the landscaping is very effective. Skills picked up while helping his father with model railway layouts obviously paid off big time here. Even the trees were fabricated from copper wire. Fencing was made from galvanised mesh and the grass area was the ‘sprinkle on’ grass from the hobby shops.

All the buildings were made by good friend Terry who is a retiree. Many hours were spent in painfully reconstructing the look of structural steel and modern cladding materials and the end result was simply breathtaking. Right down to his and hers conveniences!

Lap timing and race management is by the windows based program used on all of the tracks in these features. The track surface is grey paint and the conductors are self adhesive copper strip from the local glazing company.

The track is truly a drivers circuit. There are no long straight disappearing over the horizon and no super wide bends to allow the easy passage of cars. You are in the thick of it with this circuit! Lanes converge and straights are short. No sooner have you hit the fast button than you are braking hard for the next corner. Hot cars loose most of their time spinning wheels here and the lesser powered models and the more restrained drivers will take advantage of this.

Nearly all the corners overlap which means at best you will be rubbing door handles with the adjacent slots and at worst you could be in contact with everybody! The driver that picks his moment here will come off best. Three minutes worth of racing on this track will be the equivalent of a twenty minute race on plastic or wide spaced board track.

More can happen to the unwary in an afternoon than they would normally experience in a month of racing! Yet, with four experienced racers on this track it is possible to do a whole race without a deslot or incidents! Restraint being the key word. Forget your 25,000 rpm tuners! With that sort of motor the marshalls will see more of your model than you do!. Standard ‘S’ cans and NC1’s rule the day here! Even standard SCX cars can win.

The track has been idle for a little while now and racing has been on the bigger track. It must be about time to dust it off for another session of white knuckle slot car racing! One observation would be that mastering something like this will make a person a better driver. It instils discipline and patience in a driver which will pay dividends on plastic and magnet tracks.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!