The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Brabham Fancar Slotcar

News and Discussion
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Brabham Fancar Slotcar

Post by Deslotted »

I dont know if anyone else has been following the thread overseas on S/F, about the guy who turned an old scaley brabham into a replica of the "once only raced" 1978 Brabham fan car, with operating fan and skirts.

Well the guy gave it it's first run, theres a video up and a few blokes testified that it blew the doors of a sorted "slot it" Porsche 956.

I must admit, at first I thought the idea of a spinning fan was quite cool, but once he started talking about actually creating a ground effect I thought he was just having a wind up, but it actually appears this bloke has pulled it off. A few others who witnessed it said with the fan removed, it was a fair bit slower.

If you haven't seen it ,you have to have a look.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Brabham Fancar Slotcar

Post by wixwacing »

Have you got a link Ted?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

Here You Go phil.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... opic=50227

Be warned theres 7 pages of thread, apparently the car was ran first time out on a Ninco track and everyone who saw it run or who had a little drive all kept asking if it had a big magnet in it?? It doesn't.

It's losing a tonne of time on the straights, apparently the gear driven fan chops a lot of power and the cars making it all up on corners. They took the fan out and the car was visibly a lot faster on the straights and everyone thought it was quicker with out the fan in, until they checked the lap times and found it consistently faster around the entire track.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Look don`t want to be the wet blanket/knocker or whatever - but when i have more time than sense i will have a go.
Honestly the first thing i thought of was this guy who made a fully working scale Ferrari 312PB . I think it`s great but really !!! :roll:
Then again whatever floats your boat!!!!!!!!! & I don`t like boats - don`t get `em :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUMDY01uUA
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

kenneth wrote:Look don`t want to be the wet blanket/knocker or whatever - but when i have more time than sense i will have a go.
Honestly the first thing i thought of was this guy who made a fully working scale Ferrari 312PB . I think it`s great but really !!! :roll:
Then again whatever floats your boat!!!!!!!!! & I don`t like boats - don`t get `em :?
So does that mean, that Phil has more time than sense when he built the F1 with functioning 4wd rear.
or I did when I hack up old scaley cars and fit them to new chassis.

I know people that think anybody who plays slotcars have more time than sense.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Hi Ted
No i did not mean that - but there is a line that has diminishing returns - if it floats your boat as i said do it.
No offense was meant to anyone - i am a dumb-arse, i don`t get it.
It doesn`t mean you are wrong - just i don`t get it ,i will spend the time to repaint and decal etc. But i could never do what you & Phil do, just as you would not have the following in your house(maybe you would, but the numbers are slim)- cause you don`t get it!!
As i have a commercial coffee machine ( capacity 45-60 cups per hr) in my home with a commercial grinder (1kg per hr) to make 4 cups of coffee a day, i spent 3 months making a homemade coffee roaster to roast the green coffee beans i have as i don`t like to pay $40+ per kg for fresh roasted coffee, all the guys i race with don`t get it either - i don`t care - i know my coffee is good, i drink it , i like it!!
My brother in law has made a 1:1 `57 250tr body from scratch - i couldn`t do that - i don`t get it!!
Getting the picture - not trying to pi$$ you off - just an opinion - i think you and Phils work is great - but i wouldn`t do it.
Last i knew we are all allowed to have an opinion - it`s free!!
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

No offence taken mate.
Yes your right, no understanding in my house, they just about tolerate my hobbies.
Like you say, whatever floats your boat.

The coffee is perfectly understandable , no argument there.
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

We all do weird things for hobbies we enjoy, heh.

I've acquired in the past couple of months about $4k worth of digital slr camera equipment, just so I can go take photos at motorsport events - without any real plan on "how do I sell this stuff".

When the lens you buy costs twice as much as the camera body you're putting it on.... hehehehehehe.
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

I'm not fully convinced............ yet..........The fan will slow in the corners with the motor,even with some extra down force Mmmmmmmmmm might need to follow this one!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!