The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

First Resin casts done - M23 High Airboxes

News and Discussion
Deslotted
Team Strategist

First Resin casts done - M23 High Airboxes

Post by Deslotted »

I got my first resin casts done. High Airboxes for the M23 Mclaren.
I had a few pitfalls on the way. Firstly my initial mould didn't set I still had a claggy lump of silicone after two days. (Read the instructions wrong).
Having succesfully accomplished a good mould, I think I would probably make it a little differantly , but thats why I started out small.
The first casts were rubbish, but the more I make the better the casts are coming out. I think some of the vaseline I put in as a barrier when making the mould (2 piece) found it's way into the cavity.
There is a little flashing but it's all at the very bottom where it gets removed. I get the odd airbubble but they are easily sorted out with a little tamiya filler putty.

This is the Scaley Low airbox and My cast version straight from the mould, in it's raw form complete with flashing.

and here is the cleaned up and painted airbox fitted to the scaley M23.

As per everything I'm positive that on the next mould I can make things a little better and more user friendly and with less flashing. I think I'll be sticking with small stuff like this for a while (I need a lot of practice) and I'm a long way off perfect car bodies yet.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: First Resin casts done - M23 High Airboxes

Post by wixwacing »

Looking good Ted, I can see the faint outline of a 2D there somwhere!!!

Seriously though. One way to clear the air bubbles is to sit the mould on a gently vibrating surface for a couple of minutes. Something about 50cps. This will help trapped air to the surface but it needs to be switched off before setting takes place.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Re: First Resin casts done - M23 High Airboxes

Post by Deslotted »

Already waking up to that one Phil,
I went really hi tech and sat it on the bonnet of my old work hack falcon.
That thing runs so rough its perfect. :grin: