A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Vanquish MG cars

News and Discussion
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Vanquish MG cars

Post by Cyph »

Gday gday,

I've just taken delivery of a Vanquish MG car, and wondering what I can do in regards to the diff in order to keep it working - as I don't really want to replace the axle.

Any tips or tricks anyone can suggest?

Cheers,

Rob
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Vanquish MG cars

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob

Several alternatives here. Firstly, the diffs didn't have enough lubricant in them. I used to open them and fill with Vaseline for guys.

Next, under no circumstances sand tyres etc or put any undue stress on them as the diff contains some tiny plastic sun gears and they will strip without warning.

Lastly, if you intend racing this, buy a wide Ninco inline axle assembly and swap the bearings and get some new alloy wheels. The Vanquish tyres might be hard to match up in other makes although MJK do make them. Keep the diff aside for when it becomes a shelf queen!

Also, if my memory serves me well, the motor doesn't have any shaft protruding beyond the pinion which means a replacement axle will need side shims to keep the gears in mesh,?? or maybe an NC5 motor upgrade might be the solution!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

No intention of racing it... I just want to do some laps on tracks with it from time to time.

In the case of the diff then, I've got some tamiya grease stuff from when I did RC cars for a while, considering the diffs in them were a plastic sun gear arrangement as well, I think I'll be able to squeeze some goop into there then.

Thanks for the note about sanding tyres.

Picked it up cheap - I think $26 delivered. Brand new, still sealed in packaging.
The Racer Administrator
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

The white Tamiya grease is just the right thing. Carefully pop the diff apart, pack it full, wip the outer parts of the diff clean, then snap it back together. Its important to make sure the mating surfaces are clean, because they are only held together by friction on the lugs. I have four of the Vanquish cars, and none of them has ever failed in any way. But I packed the diff before any of them ever hit the track.