The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

LMP at last, but....

News and Discussion
yankfaraway
Telemetry

LMP at last, but....

Post by yankfaraway »

Well, at long last, a contemporary LMP car, and an Acura at that, but its made by Ninco, so it will be overpriced, overhyped, and probably delivered with bent axles and chipped wheels. Too bad, because they picked one of the two best to model, the El Patron Tequila car. I've been hoping for the XM Radio car, but both are favorites of mine. The Acura isn't an easy car to model, with its unusual fins up front below the headlights, and other details that would be tought to mold in plastic, and tougher to paint well. We can hope that Mr. Hornby, Mr. Carrera and Boss Fly are paying attention, and we'll get a choice of makers for the cars the way we did for the Porsche and the Audi LMP cars, all of which I have and am very pleased with.

ddyke
Pitcrew

Hispanic Centric

Post by ddyke »

Ninco always does Hispanic sponsored or driven cars first. Look at the champ cars they did! I am hoping they keep this up as I want the Fernandez car.

Dan
Scrappy Dan
When I'm not eating food or sleeping, I'm down in the basement, wrecking slot cars!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

LMP's and friends

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Guys

I know the Rileys aren't strictly LMP's but is there a model on the market yet. Also, is it a one car series or are there other makes in competition with them?<center>

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

Well, Phil, as near as I can tell, the Daytona Prototype series has become another useless "all the same" car series, like NASCAR, in its present, and pointless configuration. All innovation and individuality has ceased for these two classes. Riley makes one of the four major chassis, and since the regulations don't permit anything that resembles courage or intelligence, it is competitive with the other chassis makers. But like the NASCAR garbage of the last decade, the competition is artificial. I know that there are still innovators out there who can continue in the tradition of Smokey Yunick, Andy Granatelli, Jack Brabham, Offenhauser and so many others whose innate genius truly made motorsport. But they have no venue on which to show their talents, you see. The JapanGT series, with HKS, Spoon, and others seems to have opportunities still, as does LMP, GT1 and GT2. Its my favorite thing to be disgruntled about. There's a reason that Aussies and Americans have a parallel history, after all. We are both energized by innovation, and the standardization of race rules to such an extent as to stifle individual achievement is counter to our collective nature. Okay, I'll step off my soapbox for now. Thanks for reading.
ddyke
Pitcrew

A fellow Yank speaks

Post by ddyke »

I hate the term Yank but with these down under guys it carries a different connotation than in parts of the USA. Getting on with the rant let me add that innovation is why I come here to this site. I agree that innovation is the hallmark of many Americans. Sadly, too many are picking up the me too attitude. The don't think, but just copy. Dyno Tom and I race at the same track. We try things all the time and sometimes it sets us back. You know what? That is OK.

There are about five major brands of DP cars Dallara/Doran, Lola, Crawford, Coyote, and Riley.

Go to the M32 site he has some of the bodies.
Scrappy Dan
When I'm not eating food or sleeping, I'm down in the basement, wrecking slot cars!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

I have a couple of Daytona prototype bodies. One is in this photo. Its a Lexan from a privateer outfit in Ohio. Our little group decided to have a race that was all NC-1 powered, and these are the ones I made. Its coincidental that this Sun Trust and the Crown Royal car are both Riley chassis. I thought it was rather disappointing, even for a Lexan body.