The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

A stupid project

News and Discussion
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

A stupid project

Post by Cyph »

So I've got this old Carrera Chevrolet Camaro trans am. It's got a good body, but it rides far too high to handle any good.

Given my old Scalextric Ford Mustang is giving up the ghost - in terms of Body (hey it's had 6 years of hard racing and far too many nights of being smashed onto the floor at Chris' house way back in the day), I've decided to turn my unimaginable talents (or lack thereof!) into getting this Camaro of mine to run any good. I'm going to repaint the Camaro, as the livery is just plain horrible yellow plastic, I don't think it's actually got a coloured yellow on it, coverage is far too good for that!

Heres how the things look standard - well, it's missing a few body bits and pieces because I've taken it apart.

And here's how I want the stance at the end of all this funtastic work.

Mr Wicks, or any other scratchbuilders out there, is there anything I should know about diving into making a chassis out of PCB?

Just looking at the interior, I'm going to have to cut up the drivers tray a bit - got some 1mm thick plasticard to rebuild it - so I can clear motor etc, but other than that it's going to be fun doing this. I've never done it before, so I'm sure to have fun or be incredibly frustrated doing it.

Fortunately, this and classic le mans are about the only classes I can legally get away with scratchbuilding a chassis for, so I'll pot around with this Camaro first before considering doing anything else!
The Racer Administrator
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Re: A stupid project

Post by Cyph »

And I've just found out the guidelines of what I can use in the building of this monster.

Any standard Fly or Scalextric mabuchi motor.

Any running gear.

Any tyres.

So, Fly/Scaley motor with Slot.It running gear, axle, and tyres or something, with a PCB chassis, should = fun. And hopefully cheap to build on the chassis side of things.

Here we go here we go here we go
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: A stupid project

Post by wixwacing »

Well done Rob but don't expect your first attempt to be your best, It's all a learning curve. That's not to say it won't be raceable but probably a bit untidy. If you look at the Cortina in the Scratcxhbuild section that gives you an idea on how I'vd done things, but I am an engineer by profession, you might come at it from a different direction. Just lets not see any four by twos in it anywhere......please!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!