The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

MJK Local content bodies

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

MJK Local content bodies

Post by wixwacing »

I have posted this thread before on the old site and have no compunction about putting it here again. There is all too little local content on the local 1/32 slotcar scene and Ian and the guys at MJK are trying to rectify this.

Check out their chassis and tyres at

MJK Engineering

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Re: MJK Local content bodies

Post by yankfaraway »

Who makes those wonderful bodies? Are they 1/32?
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob

These are 1/32 and made by local Aussie company MJK. click on the link in the post. They don't have any illustations of the body but I'm sure Ian will be more than helpfull

The first picture is of three EH Holdens. (As you probably are aware, Holden is the Aussie GM subsidiary, currently manufacturing the Pontiac GTO for you guys). These were made in the sixties as a six cylinder family sedan

The other models are of the now legendary FJ Holden. The first (after the FX) mass produced GM Holden car in Australia circa 1948 throughto the mid fifties. Both cars show their GM heritage and are similar to models made by GM in the US in the forties and fifties, if not somewhat smaller.

In Aus motor sport in the sixties, the EH was a regular contender against Ford upstart GT and Lotus Cortinas, with both marques sharing 'tit for tat' wins. The EH enjoyed superiority on long straight tracks and the Cortinas lapped up the more technical circuits.

yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

The FJ is the one that grabbed my attention. I don't know about Down Under, but its very hard to find interesting 1/32 bodies to scratch build a chassis for here in the States. Once in a while, I find 1/32 scale plastic models, but they are seldom the kind of thing I'm looking for, and so many of the model kits from the 60's and 70's are ludicrously out of scale (re: Lindbergh). I recently scratchbuilt a 1932 Chevy pickup truck Rat Rod, and although the scale was good, the space inside that body was very cramped. In the 1960's, there were clear plastic 1/32 bodies from the 30s and 40s, and they were great. I found an old DuBro body a few years ago, crispy, of course, with age. I was hoping that the FJ clear plastic body in the photo was still available. I don't see it anywhere on the site. Was it 1/32?

Rob
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob,

I have some feelers out as we speak!!

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Best link to these models is

Slotcar Superyard

For just the bodies you might like to contact Kev at Scalex World. Link at top left corner.

yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

I'm chasing them down now. Thanks so much. I hope to make two for myself, run them at our next gathering and see if I can arrange a bit of a race category. We discovered motors intended for robotics that are wonderfully suited for slot cars. Everyone has been experimenting on chassis arrangements and body combinations to use these as they seem very tough, and torquey, while at the same time, speedy enough at 12 volts to be quite pleasant. Best of all, in any quantity they cost $1 US. The vendor has five types that are appropriate, very easily mounted to any chassis without building an adapter.

Rob (USA)