The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Cox Cheetah Tidy up

News and Discussion
bozcorp61
Spectator

Cox Cheetah Tidy up

Post by bozcorp61 »

I am going to try and post some pictures of a tidy up of a 1/24 Cox Cheetah. My granddaughters are helping with the project and taken the photos now its up to me to post them on the forum. If i muck it up i will get them to fix it Here goes.Image
The Picture is there, Unreal. The car is nearly all there , the hardest part will be repairing the dent in the roof. The best idea so far is to use a hot wheat bag to apply some gentle localised heat and just pop it out.Any tips or suggestions accepted.
Enough for now
GregImage
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Cox Cheetah Tidy up

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Greg

A classic slotcar indeed, on closer scrutiny most older slotcars carry marks of time. Damage is usually caused by the model having been stored in a place with something of weight stored on top of it. In these cases the mild application of heat (up to 80C should get most of the defect out and a gentle massage of the area should see it almost revert to its former shape.

Another problem is when the damaged area has cracks or fractures in it, this will prevent it returning to its shape and the alternative is to heat and reshape the parts concerned. Another problem with older models is that with age the plastic looses some of its pliable nature due to the loss of gaseous chemicals from the plastic. This will leave the plastic brittle and it will crack and break quite easily. It is a case of playing it by ear really.

When heating plastics do not use hot air guns or similar as it not only impossible to gauge the heat you are applying, it will also form hots spots in the model which potentially will melt plastic beyond the model's plastic limit. I prefer using hot water, a guideline would be that hot water which is just bearable to the naked hand will be about 60C and water which is steaming well but not bubbling is about 80C. Obviously some thick lined rubber gloves will be needed at this temperature.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Thanks Phil for the advice, it is the plastic being brittle after all these years i am worried about. We will give the hot water a try and see how we go.
Thanks Greg
bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Work is progressing on the tidy up. First up was the chassis , magnesium and corroded easy fixed for us as i do this type of thing for a job. The chassis was wet blasted dryed and given a coat of clear, this should see it keep this finish for a long time. Underneath i will post a before and after pic it gives you a very clean chassis to rebuild on to and the wet blasting is non abrasive so everything stays the same size :eg no enlarged mounting points for bearings or bushes ect.

Regards Greg
bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Getting a bit further, new Paul Gage tyres and a bit of assembly

Greg
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

I like the finish on the chassis, and if you are going to run it, Paul Gage tyres will make all the difference.

bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

NOS Motor arrived from Portugal, Missing motor clip from Canada.

This was no concours resto, the whole idea was to take a car that sat forgotten in a shed for a long time and get it going again. It is still missing a couple of bits like the fuel cap and the air filters, and I couldn't get the roof completely straight as the plastic is brittle from age.
The end result for us is that it lives to run again.

Greg

PS If you have any of the little bits we are missing drop me a line.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Pity about the roof, there must be a fix and maybe it will come with time. As for the glass bits, check out the glass parts on the Ford Anglia repair, I have also successful made and fitted front and rear screens for an HT Charger (to come)

bozcorp61
Spectator

Post by bozcorp61 »

Yes it is a pity about the roof, I used your hot water trick and we got it all except the last crease. I wasn't game to go any further as it started to split . It is so close and very frustrating. I'll give it another go when I build up the courage. I will have a look at what you did with the Anglia glass, but the last little dent in the roof distorts the window opening. That aside the car runs beautifully , powerful with long legs. Pity it cant be used in anger any more as the plastic seems to be a tad brittle. Overall a satisfying result so far, will keep at it.

Greg 8)