A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slot.it Alfa 33/3 review

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slot.it Alfa 33/3 review

Post by wixwacing »

G'day all

In between a busy racing schedule I have managed to complete the Alfa 33/3. review. Check it out at
Slot.it Alfa 33/3

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Gayblade
Pitcrew

Re: Slot.it Alfa 33/3 review

Post by Gayblade »

Excellent review Phil!!! (as always)....

...Just got mine in the mail today, been messing around with it a bit trying to tame the little sucker.

As you say the motor connector eyelet thingies are woeful, so I dug some thicker O.D. Cartrix (am sure they are the same to Ninco) items out of the parts drawer plus some N.S.R braid (a heap better than Slot.it braid IMHO). No problems at ll now, lots of juice getting to the motor.....

I've loosened the motor pod a 1/4 turn on the front screws and 3/4 turn on the back ones (no need to be too "loose" me thinks).

Have also whacked a couple of axle shims between spur and chassis, in standard trim seems too close for my liking.

Haven't run any serious laps yet to check performance, will true front rims and rubber before I do (a slight wobble there).

All in all, yes a very very nice model (have been waiting all year for this feller), but as you suggest Phil, I really dont think it will hang together with the rigors of magnet racing (which is jake and my chosen discipline).

May have to buy another one to put on the shelf to remind ourselves of what it used to look like before we got our hands on it!!!!
Cheers,

Rob....

GAYBLADE GETS SOFT!
Gayblade
Pitcrew

Post by Gayblade »

Hey Guys,

Just finished running my new Alfa after attending to the little issues Phil mentioned in his review....

....Got to say that I'm impressed with the model!

I'd always preferred the GB Track Chevron for this class of car, but I think the Alfa is better. On a large open circuit the Alfa would eat up a Chevron due to the quicker motor, but after spending some time adjusting the Alfa's motor pod, I'd suggest it would be the equal of a similarly tuned Chevron.

The Alfa turned in a best of 2.4 seconds on our tiny Scaley Sport four laner, the Slot.it Ferrari 312 a similar time, but the Alfa had a far smoother action about it in the twisties (for whatever reason, perhaps the tyres?).

The 312 Ferrari had the optional Slot.it silicones on it, the Alfa had the stock rubber tyres that had been treated with NSR tyre treatment oil (super stuff, I highly recommend it).

As a comparo I chucked on one of our 312 SLOTER Ferrari's, stock with the exception of a Ninco 1500gm mag with a Scaley Sport button mag piggybacked on top. Best lap 2.7 seconds....

Doesnt sound a great deal, but on our miniscule track, 3/10ths of a second equates to a fair bit of ground. Unfortunately the Sloter models arent in the hunt in this class of racing. The main issue with the Sloter cars is that they have no adjustable motor pod (giving vital flex to the back axle and wheels) and the magnet to rail height is way too high. A pity, because they are a sweet looking model (particularly the beautiful Lola liveries in this series of Sloter models).

Anyway, better scoot....

Cheers,

Rob.
Cheers,

Rob....

GAYBLADE GETS SOFT!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob,

I expect you were aware that Slot.it do a full on SCM's magnet!! Reversible too.

Slot.it reversible racing magnet

When the other way up the lobes stick out of the bottom of the chassis and depending on your tyres, can touch the conductor rails!!! These little beauties are what blow the Slot.it controller fuses!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Gayblade
Pitcrew

Post by Gayblade »

G'day Phil,

I think I have one of those kicking about in my Newman 956 Porsche that I did a review on yonks and yonks ago....

The Alfa would be a ballistic missile with that mag in it, not really sure if that is what it needs (as you said in your review, the body is soooo thin!).

What I look at more now is a class "parity" with our models. As we dont race competitively anymore here, its good to to be able to have models that are all close in performance (Jake is getting close to me in pace now Phil , he just has to work on concentrating over longe periods to keep his consistency up).

...But yes, the little Alfa is a beauty in my book, a little fiddling to get the best out of it is ultimately rewarding, a very quick little jigger :)

It has beautiful detail as well, a real looker and something unique when compared to the absolute deluge of Ferrari 312's on the market at the moment.

Cheers,

Rob.
Cheers,

Rob....

GAYBLADE GETS SOFT!