The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Scale tyres for the Revell Curtis midget

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Scale tyres for the Revell Curtis midget

Post by wixwacing »

Not being able to resist a challenge I decided to buy a model of a Midgt racer, not a modern sprint or speed car, but a nice, reproduction 50's midget car! Not too hard, there are some kits on the market like the famous reproduction of the EJ's Midget racer. A nice model but it does come with non scale wheels and tyres and as it is built as a driveable slotcar, these compromises had to be made. But I was looking for something a little more scale and during what seemed like an endless quest a friend eventually came across the Revell Curtis Midget. This model is 1/24th but seems a lot smaller and even now I don't know who is the right scale, EJ at 1/25th, or the Revell??

Anyhow, two Revell kits were purchased for the purpose of motorising them for my mate and myself. On reciept of the kits I could then decide what extra was needed to convert them into a convincing model. I bought a couple of Penelope Pitlane super slimline chassis and a couple of MRRC 16000 rpm slimline motors. The model comes without drivers but these are available from Jimmy Flintstone studios direct or on ebay. The wheels could easily be sourced and I dicided to use some 16m.m. diameter narrow alloys from Pendleslot but what was to happen with the tyres?

wheels with old and new tyres

New rear tyres

New front tyres

I have two boxfulls of MJK's these were purchased to be resold at club meetings to help racers sort their models before race days begin. There were several tyres which quallified as a good tyre but the MJK tyres are quite utilitarian in that they are made to do a job which they do very well, and they are not true scale classic tyres and were never meant to be. The solution came after I contacted Paul Gage in Canada, and after a couple of exchanges of emails I posted Paul an front and rear wheel and tyre,I also sent a sample alloy wheel. Indouble quick time Paul had sent back to me some tyres which were the ideal replacement for the tyres. Bulging sidewall bias belted repro tyres to make my model look realistic. As yet the model is someway off being finished with a couple of projects ahead of it but be assured, once it is finished it will look a million bucks with the scale tyres.

Pauls part numbers for front and rears

PGT 21073 SE & PGT 22083 SE

Check out the pictures and also check out Pauls ebay shop, If you can't find what you are looking for, then drop Paul a line on :

pggage@shaw.ca

In the meantime check out his ebay store at
Pauls slotcarshop

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Re: Scale tyres for the Revell Curtis midget

Post by dangermouse »

I have 2 of these as well Phil

Which PP chassis did you choose?
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Scale tyres for the Revell Curtis midget

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Dave,
The chassis I used is the PPSk1, it's a bit delicate and I have had to customise the guideshoe mount and the mounts to the body but there were no dramas and it has turned out very well. I have also used one of the low power MRRC motors from Pendle so they don't self destruct on their first outing!!

I will do a full build review eventually for those who would like to know the challenges of this model

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!