A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Vintage COX sidewinder chassis request

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Vintage COX sidewinder chassis request

Post by wixwacing »

G'day all

Member Hot WheelsSteve, is looking for some of the old classic COX magnesium chassis. Can anyone point him in the right direction? Contact Steve or me by PM'ing either of us, or reply to this topic

Steve's note.....

This relates to a Cox Magnesium Chassis 'Sidewinder' with a Mabuchi 36D motor.
I'm looking for similar such chassis that are new(er) and more readily available in Australia.

I'm looking for this kind of chassis - of any brand or material - as I'm wanting to build a hot-rod type of car with the engine and exhaust clearly showing at the front. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

HotWheelsSteve
HotWheelsSteve
Spectator

Re: Vintage COX sidewinder chassis request

Post by HotWheelsSteve »

There's been further info gained these past few days. I think it might be better sticking to an inline motor. I was just trying to get the motor to sit back as far as possible to allow for a full cockpit (ie driver seat just ahead of the rear wheels).

Since I’ve asked the question a couple of guys have put up some very interesting web pages about different techniques on how the job can be done.

I had been trying to seek a ready-made chassis, one that I could just buy off the shelf, cut, glue and race. But it seems one cant just do that, you have to go and build the whole chassis yourself.

http://www.homeracingworld.com/124chassisbuilding.htm

http://www.homeracingworld.com/hrwjc32switcher.htm

cheers
Steve
peter mansfield
Spectator

Post by peter mansfield »

Hi Steve
I see you live on the northside as I do so you would be familiar with Hobbyrama at Stafford they have agreat range of tubing for chassie building you've probably seen it. As I remember the A model Ford speedway cars at Windsor in Sydney years ago these rails were always visible at the front so maybe have a closer look for realism. I built a replica of my brothers racing Bugeye Sprite (Airfix) using this material as chassie solders well and dosen't crabwalk on a Scaley straight (which really supprised me) getting the crossmembers right was a bit fiddly but if I can get right any one can.
pete
HotWheelsSteve
Spectator

Post by HotWheelsSteve »

Hiya Pete,
thanks for the tip :-) I'd been trying to find a chassis that I wouldn't have to build totally myself (I have a disability, long story), or at least without the precision bending and soldering you need for building from scratch. I can fumble my way with a Dremel, even use a use a mini-grinder but thats about it l'm afraid.
Still, Hobbyrama looks an interesting shop. I must drop by next time I'm in the neighbourhood. :-)

cheers, Steve