The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

alternative to future

News and Discussion
kenneth
Team Strategist

alternative to future

Post by kenneth »

After reading about decal prep & application on slot car forums and very helpful info from Wixwacing i have embarked on doing a few re-livieries.
The decals arrived this week from Pattos and the instruction sheet states that a product like FUTURE floor polish be used on the decals before application.
I also asked about alternatives to this product which seems to be very easily available to our US friends, but seems non existent here.
Patto sent me a PDF that states alternatives that do the same thing with the same end result.
One of which is Pascoes Long Life floor polish, which i found at the local supermarket this morning for $5 for 500ml.

I will give it a go on some scrap part of the decal sheet and see how it goes.
This sort of stuff seems popular because of its self levelling properties after applied - no lumpy bits - sounds good for a novice like me as opposed to spray clear - which i am a bit challenged with at the moment.
Last edited by kenneth on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Jordan

One thing I would like to know is if it takes a coat of clear lacquer after fixing the decal??<center>

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Phil
i have tried it on a piece of off cur decal sheet and it hasn`t turned yellow since this arvo , so i wil have a proper answer for you tomorrow night . I will bring you a sample amount for you to try.
so far it all looks good.
i must say, for my novice ability everything seems to be working in my favour. only time will tell.
cheers mate see you tomorrow night.\
Jordan
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Buzzard
Telemetry

Re: alternative to future

Post by Buzzard »

Ok.. time to bump this one,
Jordan,

How is this going ???
Any yellowing yet ???
Is it successful or not ????
Was it cleared over or used over the clear ???
Cheers
Kev.

I don't suffer from senility.
I enjoy every minute.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: alternative to future

Post by kenneth »

How is this going ??? good
Any yellowing yet ??? no
Is it successful or not ???? yes
Was it cleared over or used over the clear ??? yes tamiya spray can lacquer.

I have not experienced any difference to anything.
But do apply it to the decals (24-48hrs before use) with a sponge not a paint brush, the sponge prevents little lumps or hairs from the brush getting stuck.

I have coated 6 sets of decals, 3 are on cars , 2 on silver cars, 1 with white.
I do my decals, the base colour on the car, 1-2 layers of fine clear on the cars, then decals, then 2-3 coats of clear on the decals after 24 hrs.
I have had success so far, but the cars are not old enough, 2 months at the tops.
But nothing untoward so far.
If i have any failures i am sure you guys will be the first to hear me whinge and cry in my beer.
cheers
Jord.