The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Fly Lotus 78

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Fly Lotus 78

Post by wixwacing »

It's here! don't rush, form an orderly queue!!! ........... behind me!!

Flyslot cars - Lotus 78 Andretti

link courtesy of
Top slots 'n' trains

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Re: Fly Lotus 78

Post by Deslotted »

Got mine ordered Phil.
The word around the traps is that the odd final drive setup as per the Williams hasn't been used again.
The Lotus will come with a Normal Final drive, the crownwheel cleverly hidden under a mock fire extingusher type bottle on the top of the Hewland casing (or is it a nitrous bottle).
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

Woo hoo, It arrived this morning, happily I'm off work with a perforated eardrum so I was able to greet it at the door.

I have heard that some cars missed the quality control department. But am happy to say that mine is excellent, I had to give the top of the airbox a little tweak to line it up properly and thats it.

I might just give the helmet visor tampo a little touch up with a fine brush at some point, but it really isn't as bad as some have claimed it to look, you have to get up pretty close.

The photo really doesn't do the car justice, I'll definately be buying any other versions they do and I haven't even run it yet. Classic F1's really float my boat and this one looks fantastic.

Yes it does have the same driveline as the March, it appears that the williams final drive idea has been abandoned.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

That certainly looks the biz Ted, Has it had any track time yet!!

Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Well I have got my new Lotus. I am an avid Fly fan. This car is a major disappointment I am afraid. Build quality is way down on the usual high quality Fly standard when it comes down to panel moldings. Drive train seems ok for a Fly but the handling is weak. 2 Cars I think that are worthy for direct comparisons are the Vanquish Lotus 72 in JPS livery and the Fly March. The Vanquish car is far better when compared with the Fly with regards to tampo quality and engine detail, wheels and driver etc. The Fly March is better in all department. Fit, finish and drivability.

This is the car that should have and could have marked Fly's return as a major player in the slot car stakes. It isn't. To me it is reminiscent of Team Slot or SCX cars about 12 years ago. That engine detail is poor at best bordering on pathetic really and the bleed through the gold tampoing makes the gold appear closer to green. The front wheels have wayward geometry. The driver has an upside down visor and is misaligned. The drive train does seem pretty good which is nice for a change with Fly and the rear tyres seems soft enough to be usable but the overall handling SOB is disappointing as well. All in all a poor effort and one that just be the very final through of the Fly dice I am afraid. With the same parcel I got the green Piper Ferrari 250 LM and the blue and white Ferrari 250LM. Wow they are magnificent but they are also made using the old Fly moldings from when they were still my favourite slot car company while the Lotus is a new car manufactured under the new regime. No way would the old Fly boffins had let a car like this new Lotus out of the factory with all those faults. If nothing else Fly were best known for their detail. This latest model is not from the Fly that I know and have loved for 15 years or so. Score: 4/10
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

Yes I must admit after having lived with it for a week now.
I also have points to report, although my tampo quality on the car was fine, it's not actually gold but thats actually correct to the prototype, as gold actually did not show up up TV that well lotus changed it to this colour. So ok there.

Mario's visor is printed upside down, not a huge deal to fix but a little annoying. The top half of the airbox need to be removed (no easy feat) trimmed, realigned and glued, although the rest of my body fit seems ok, I've heard a few horror stories including more than a few armless drivers!!!

I wish they had used the cosworth moulding from theMarch 761 as it was way better.

The rear suspension detail was so badly distorted it foulded the track before the rear tyres were down, it had to be removed and heated up and reshaped before the car would even moved. I also have massive toe in, although again even though it's repairable, just should not happen.

The march and the williams seem to have punchier motors. Although a bit of detuning isn't a bad thing on these little F cans, I think now they've already headed down the road, consistency would have been better.

It's all pretty salvagable however, but shouldn't be nessercary, when the fly March was sooooo good out of the box.

On the plus side - we've reverted back to the inline setup, rather than the weird setup in the Williams and theyve got rid of those cast Iron braids they started using. Also kudos to them for having the balls to release it in full JPS livery.

They basic car is ok but I think that it's quality control issues that have killed them. I agree with Perro this car had the opportunity to be great. (I'm convinced they've gone to a different (cheaper) manufacturer with zero QC.) but out of the box it needed a fair bit of fettling to even be a shelf queen.

The sad thing is it could have been all so easily fixed , but I think it was rushed onto the market as a cash grab.
Even sadder perhaps is my love of all things classic F1, means that I still like this car and I will rectify each and every little drama until she's a good un.
Even sadder again is that I will probably buy each subsequent relivery despite their glaring faults.

Unfortunately even though this car has been a massive sales coup, they were all gone in days. I think a lot of people who aren't quite as Classic F1 mad like myself or who don't want to or feel they should have to, spend a fair bit of time fettling a car just to make it run, will be massively put off.

I am grateful for the car, as I am for all 60's and70's F1 cars. But fear that instead of Flys saving grace, it maybe the final nail in the coffin.
I do however feel the actual success in these things getting sold so quickly, might just encourage Mr Scalex et al to get a few more classic F1's out.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Mmmmmmmmmm?..............

I am looking forward to checking this model out this weekend!!

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Mmmmmmmmmm?..............

Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Even sadder again is that I will probably buy each subsequent relivery despite their glaring faults.
I'm hearing you Ted and I hate to admit it, I'm a lot like you too.
Unfortunately even though this car has been a massive sales coup, they were all gone in days. I think a lot of people who aren't quite as Classic F1 mad like myself or who don't want to or feel they should have to, spend a fair bit of time fettling a car just to make it run, will be massively put off.
That's precisely the point. The number of people that will complain about this car and the non returnees that will never buy another Fly Slot again may well be their death march at Fly for the final time.
I am grateful for the car, as I am for all 60's and70's F1 cars. But fear that instead of Flys saving grace, it maybe the final nail in the coffin.
I do however feel the actual success in these things getting sold so quickly, might just encourage Mr Scalex et al to get a few more classic F1's out.
Scalextric never really followed up on their versions of the 70's McLaren and Ferrari but as you mention Ted, the way the Fly Lotus sold might, just might be the prod that Scaley needs to have another stab at this car type.

Regards,

Perro
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

wixwacing wrote:Mmmmmmmmmm?..............

Dont get me wrong Phil, this car is still a nice looking car. Nice Glossy Finish, lots of little detail that isn't really apparent to begin with etc.
Any Person with a little modelling (not the catwalk type) experience under their belt and who has ever fettled a slotcar to make a silk purse etc etc. Would be able to sort the issues. Although it seems the QC issues vary a lot from car to car, mine are minor compared to some I've heard about.
The problem is that a lot of people either dont have the skills or are unhappy about having to apply them to a modern out of the box car.

It's possible with modern manufacturing to have a diecast like detail and quality and a fabulous smooth running slotcar, Fly themseves proved it with the March. I think Perro is right that a lot of people who got their Lotus out of the box and found that it just didn't move, won't be back for more fly cars.

I quite like the challenge of turning this car into the cracker it should have been (as I know you will). Unfortunately not every slotcar buyer thinks like us. To a lot of people it's 60 bucks they wished they'd spent on a scaley.

By the way if anyone goes to strip one of these down. There is a 4th screw at the very back hidden behind the dummy gear box casing. The casing pops off with a small screwdiver and the screw which holds the rear wing in place, also holds the body to the chassis.