A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Posting pictures on the Outhouse

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Posting pictures on the Outhouse

Post by wixwacing »

G'day guys

I have noticed that there are a couple of guys using the 'attachment' feature for posting pictures. This allows people to download their pictures to the Outhouse server. Unfortunately this was never the plan and was an oversight on my behalf. In simple terms it takes up bandwidth which hasn't been allowed for in the server plan. So to avoid the site freezing sometime in the future due to overdemand, we will be disabling the attachment feature. All those who use an offshore picture server like Photobucket etc. will not experience any difference to their post.

I can only appologise and hope it isn't too inconvenient for the odd few that have been using it.

But, do not dispair, the following instructions should get you up and running with your own photos ‘toute suite!’

A first note is that the ‘Outhouse’ prefers pictures of about 750 pixels in width. (depending on viewers screen resolution settings)
  • 1. Take your picture
    2. Download your picture to an easily findable folder on your computer. Maybe create one on your ‘desktop’.
    3. Resize your picture using your phone or camera computer based program, Computer based picture program, or the Photobucket picture resizing facility.
Or

Using MS Paint

• 1. MS paint is in <start><programs><accessories><paint>

2. Click <file><open> ( at top left corner) and navigate to the folder containing the picture(s) you want to resize from the drop down menu in the ‘look in’ window.

3. Once the selected picture is displayed, use the <image><stretch/skew> feature on the top toolbar.

4. Set BOTH rectangle parameters to 25% (this is a starting point) and click <OK>

5. When you move the little ‘cross’ cursor across the photo, you will see a couple of numbers in the lower right hand corner alter as the cursor moves. The first number is the width of the picture in pixels. If your picture is not the desired size, click <edit><undo> once, go back to <image><stretch/skew>, adjust and re enter the rectangle percentages again.

6. Once happy, select <file><save as>, find and select the folder you want to store the resized pictures in from the drop down menu, name the new pictures with a new name and click <save>
Once we have created our Photobucket (free) account we can ‘upload’ pictures to it singly or in bulk.

Phew, not easy that one, but it is a program which we all have if we are running MS operating systems.

Microsoft Office picture manager

If you have Microsoft picture manager then life becomes a little easier
  • 1. Open Picture manager, click <file><add picture shortcut>. In the new box, use the drop down address bar to navigate to where the pictures have been stored. Once there, it will display a blank window. When you click <save> the pictures in the selected folder will appear on the Picture Manager desktop.

2. Click on the picture you want to edit.

3. On the top taskbar click <picture><resize>. You should now have the resize toolbox on the right of your screen.

4. Put a dot in the <percentage of > button,

5. Highlight/change the percentage figure to 25 (starting point)
    When you do this you will see there are a couple of dimensions above the ’OK’ button, one of which alters according to the number you put in the percentage box. The top one is the picture size and the lower is the size in pixels that the new picture will be.

6. Once the new picture size is near what you want click <OK>. This will resize your picture. All that is needed now is to store the picture in a folder ready for uploading.

7. Same as MS paint, click <file><save as> and send the picture to the folder of your choice from the drop down address bar.
So now we have some pictures for uploading (sending to an internet storage site) I recommend and use Photobucket as it is easy to use and most importantly as easy to use upload and picture resize and edit features. So, direct yourself to http://www.photobucket.com and register. Once there, create a new folder and name it for easy reference at a later date. Once the folder is open you will have lots of choices on how to manage your pictures, but don’t shy away, if you have got this far the next process is easy.
  • 1. In the middle of the screen you will see a green bar stating ‘Upload images and videos’ If you have more than nine or ten pictures to upload I recommend you use the ‘bulk uploader’ feature a little way beneath this bar.

2. So, clicking on upload images’ will take you to your own computer. Using the drop down address bar, navigate to the folder where your pictures are stored. Once there, hold down the control button on your keyboard and click once on each of the pictures you want to upload. Once all the pictures are selected, release the control button and click <open>. You will see the site start to upload your pictures.

3. Once uploading is complete you will be redirected to a place where you can add names and tags etc. This page labels your pictures so that anyone who is searching Photobucket will have your pictures added to their search results. Once your activity on this page has finished click save. You will now be directed to where the pictures have been stored.
Using the pictures in your posts

This has to be the easiest bit yet. You will see your picture(s) on full view. You have several options to help you post them, this is one of the simplest for the ‘Slotcar Outhouse’

If you roll the cursor over the picture of your choice you will see a dropdown menu appear. There will be four codes available for cutting and pasting.
  • 1. LEFT click on the code next to ‘IMG code’. This will cause the code box to become highlighted. Once highlighted, RIGHT click the highlighted code box and select <copy> from the drop down menu and LEFT click on it. You now have the text stored on your clipboard.

2. Go to the text you are typing for your topic and move the cursor in the position you want the picture to appear.

3. RIGHT click in this position and select and click <paste> from the drop down menu. You should now have a string of picture text appear in your topic. This should start and finish with [IMG]

Example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.slotcarouthouse.com/photos/IMG_0748.jpg[/img]
    4. Click on <preview> below your topic on the Outhouse composition page and you will see the page as we will see it. Scrolling down to the composing section will allow you to make alterations in the positioning of text and pictures.
Photobucket only allow pictures of a certain size and will automatically resize any pictures which are too big. But even resized they can still be too big for the ‘Outhouse’. This will appear as pictures which go off the side of the screen and displace avatars to the bottom of the topic. If this happens you might need to right click the picture and select properties. This will tell amongst other things, the actual size of the picture in pixels. If it is bigger than the Outhouses 750 pixel width you may have missed a process in resizing.

You will need to recheck the picture on your computer or go to the picture on Photobucket, select <edit> from just above the picture. Select <resize> and enter the size you want if it is different. Once altered click the <replace > below the picture. This replacement can take a little while but once done you can return to your article or post, click the refresh button on the top toolbar and follow the prompts if any.

And there we should have your topic, pictures and everything!! If you are still struggling please don’t hesitate to contact me on this site.

Phil

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
denny
Engine Tech

Re: Posting pictures on the Outhouse

Post by denny »

OH bugger thats what happened to it
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Guys, Please refer to the first topic regarding how to post pictures.

Many thanks for your patience, we look forward to seeing everone's pictures .

Phil

denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

nope the drop down menu isnt active ,could you make it any more complicated sheesh guess I cant paste any more pics now.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

What version of windows are you using Denny? And which drop down menu isn't.

Phil

denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

well WIX if I right click img its blank if I left click all it does is put [img)(img]in the text like that and if I right click again drop down just has (undo) on it
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Can I take it you have managed to get a picture on photobucket and can copy the [img] link below the photo?

Phil

denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

What the F is a photo bucket .you said that was even easier any way,Im reducing my image size on photoshop
it dont matter I just cant post pictures now.
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

denny - photobucket is just a third party site that people use to host their pictures etc on. It's free to sign up to and use.

It's found at http://www.photobucket.com

It's where pretty much every single image that is used on the outhouse - all the review pictures etc - are hosted, to cut down on bandwidth usage by the forum.

If you get a photobucket account, upload your photos to there, there should be under the sharing options the forum code required for linking to the image, which is probably surrounded by img tags like

Code: Select all

[img]whatever the url to your image will be[/img]

It should be pretty simple to figure out.

Cheers,

cyph
The Racer Administrator
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Tar cyph and this site is to slow for me Im so used to chatrooms LOL