The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

FLY 908/3

News and Discussion
denny
Engine Tech

FLY 908/3

Post by denny »

Has anyone got a fly 908/3,Ive had one for a while just cant get it to handle,keeps deslotting.Ive tried it with weight most places on chassis.Ive got solid axle in front now,maxtrac tyres ,NSR giude,with a 20k motor,I was going to try and sell it.Then guy came to track said hes got a solid axle in his it went better than mine and the guy that runs slotcar factory has same chassis with later model porsche ,I drove it today handles so smooth.Mine just rattles round the track ,Trying weight in mid chassis tomorrow night 80gsms total weight .any suggestions .Much appreciated.dont realy want to buy another car unless anyone wants to buy this.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: FLY 908/3

Post by kenneth »

I have a bout 5 grams up behind the guide, runs MJK tyres, front set up is stock,no solid axle. Stock guide, Seems to run fine, loose body, glued motor and bushings. Hope this helps. I am using the standard 18k motor that came in it.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

Howdy

We need a bit more info mate. What type of track are you running , plastic/board , magnet/non-mag , track size and length ? I have a few 908's which have a similar chassis to 917 , and depending on the type of track you want to run them on it will depend on how you set them up .

Cover the basics first eg: glue motor and bushes into chassis and true the rear tyres on a bit of sand paper and loosen off the body screws . Check the chassis is straight and not twisted . You shouldn't have to resort to fast motors and after market guides to get this car to perform .

With a bit more info I'm sure some good advice will filter thru .

Regards
Paul
Go hard or Go home
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

The Fly Porsche 908/3 as a magnet racer is one of the fastest cars I have driven. That's on a Ninco track with only the normal rear spacer fitted to the car and on standard tyres and body screws loosened.
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

ok its a ninco track,weve tried loose screws,the 20k motor is what the class runs with no magnet and Ive just been trying every thing.this is trackhttp://www.slotcarfactory.com/html/friday_nights.html
thanks guys for all the help
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Mine was useles straight out of box still is,few more weeks and if I cant get it to handle Ill just tune it with a hammer. :oops:
Deslotted
Team Strategist

Post by Deslotted »

Check for endfloat inthe rear axle, fly classics are notorious for it, (like really bad) pop off one or both rims whatever is required and shim it with 3/32 washers. Any weirdness from any endfloat will be magnified heaps with sticky rubber.

Also another Fly classic drama is that I'd say 75% of the ones Ive had the motor / pinion shaft rubs the tyres . If thats happening, cut it off.

Also make sure the rims aren't split where the axle pushes in, if they are , sleeve them.

All My flys classics have had all this done and they are all sweet now.

They were pigs when I got them.

I also did the solid axle, which worked wonders, compared to the sloppy fly stubaxles.

If your running fly classics, read this - http://www.homeracingworld.com/fly_fight.htm

All your dramas will be sorted.
Last edited by Deslotted on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

G'day guys
The regs say

Ninco track
Non magnet
10 volts
Rubber tyres only

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

thanks deslotted,tryied it with weight midships tonight little more predictable,think its best its handled so far.Ill try your suggestions just checked yes side play in rear axle.
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

OK , now we can move forward .

There's good news and then I have some bad news . We'll get the bad news out of the way first . In my opinion the porche chassis is best as a magnet racer .The reason I say this is because it is a 2 piece chassis that breaks in the middle which is great for loosening scews and droping the magnet to the desired height to the track .All the porche classics seem to be set up like this . A better car choice for non-magnet would be the Lola T70 / Ferrari 512 cars which has a full chassis that the motor pod screws into . Even the 917/10 or GT40 would be a good choice for non-mag . That's the bad news . Their are better non-mag cars to be had ! BUT........

Lets get to work on what you have .

Solid front axle ....... GOOD
Deap Guide ........... GOOD
Glue motor and axle bushes GOOD
Glue and true tyres... Good

All a good start .

Standard fly tires would go OK on Ninco , but rubber is definatly the go and something with tread seems to hook up also but not necassary . Personally I would pick a soft rubber and treat it if the rules allow . Slot.it P3 maybe

The hard part about setting up these cars is the motor pod fixes directly to the body which compromises how I would normally set a car up for non-mag .

The other thing to consider is non-mag on ninco . I would imagine a track of this scale and speed to be a bit bumpy . If it was dead smooth you would get away with 80-85 grams , but I think it will be a bit light looking at the track on the link . I would be looking at about 95 - 100 grams considering the track and the motor speed that you have . Maybe even more but that is what tuning is for .

Lets start with where to put the lead . 40/60 split front to rear is a good starting point but I have found once the weight starts getting up a bit a 35/65 split works better . Keep the weight between the axles . A little behind the guide and a little around the rear screw holes . If you can , measure this on kitchen scales .

As a couple of guys have mentioned remove axle slop or side play . I simply use a leather punch to press some from an old credit card . Apart from costing nothing I find that you can crimp them with pliers or kink them to get the exact shim you need .

When you loosen body screws don't forget to enlarge the chassis hole also to allow the chassis to move freely . You may also need to trim some body and chassis to stop it fouling . I like simple tools so I use a hand file . Some guys use a Dremel .

OK , all the hard work is done , how do we set the chassis ?
If the rules allow I would joint the 2 chassis peices together . Once you have done this you can remove the motor pod screw completely and the chassis will float like a normal chassis . To do this I just screw the chassis tight to the body and float a little super glue into the chassis around where the magnet is , so the motor pod is held to the chassis at the front of the pod . This will provide a better base to load up and be similar to the Lola T70/Ferrari 512 chassis with a tight motor pod . If you are not allowed to do this you are bound to simple screw adjustment .

Adjusting the screws will help but you are still bound by the motor pod being fixed directly to the body . My prefered settings are chassis screws loose . Maybe a full turn at the front and 1/2 - 1 turn at the rear . The motor pod needs to be firm but just able to flex side to side a little . With this adjustment 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn at a time .

The last thing I have found is these cars need a smooth accelerating style . You don't want to induce any hop thru a sweeper , it'll get ugly real quick .

Hopefully something here will help.

Regards
Paul
Go hard or Go home
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Denny,

I think you should send it up to Paul for a set up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, Paul's cars scream and fly so it's all good stuff. A couple of things I would add are :

1 If you are using a solid front axle (advised) then either some old front tyres or some ribbed SCX rally tyres can be fitted to minimise the front end drag in corners. This can reduce a models tendency to 'wag its tail' especially in slower corners with the power on.

2. Get the best grip you can with the rear tyres available before you start adding too much weight. You don't need to spend useless weight overcoming poor rear tyres, because it won't happen.

Also don't forget body tuning includes the braids. They need to look like they've just come out of the box for all events, and a drop of voodoo juice will lower the front end friction and improve conductivity, so you can make more use of the 10 volts!

If you don't win after this lot,
I'll go to sea in an open boat!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Thanks paul yes Ive opened holes with a body reamer.Ive just put some thin teflon shims in back axle,Just went up to 85 gsms in weight about 6 more than tonight all fairly mid ships, car is light but cant go to heavy as Im raceing against NSRs and they GO like stink,Like I said I already had this exhausting all options before I get an alfa 333 or ferrari 312.and me mustang was a little more driveable tonight as well up to 95 gsms now, still of the pace,thing that is frustating me is guy that recomended it drives his to wins most fridays
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

wixwacing start packing mate LOL Ive got maxtracs on it says rubber but guys are raceing silicon,think ive got some rally tyres as well.yep just changed them .
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

I did run me /FLY SLOT grand am pontiac /to night,just put ninco tyres on back as origionals where crap at last a car that stays on track out of box no mags either .Ran it as track owner says he may allow them to run in LMP class,but its open motor so need more speed yet.and I ran a borrowed avant audi last friday came forth never driven it before and not pushing car as it wasnt mine.man now thats a slot car.
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

The fly wasnt going to bad tonight I could actualy get it round the track ,I put some MJK classics on back and differant car.Still not as fast as the rest but not last ,Till the frigging wires on giude came off in last lane GGGGGGGRRRRRR those stupid eyelet thingies.