The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

SCX Barracuda.

News and Discussion
denny
Engine Tech

Re: SCX Barracuda.

Post by denny »

thanks WIX not sure its all worth it in the end.Was just putting pic to show Im not bull shitting about the cars.And after ordering them from 2 places OS ,found them in aust cheaper DOH thats for those who said I wont get one is OZ ,DOH again.Not sure when next touring car /trans am race is but me mustang was getting harder to drive the more I tweeked it.Went from about 10th to last only raced it twice.ITs got NJKs on it a big ninco giude ,and its useless ,almost new selling it if I can $40-
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

WIX I had a mild stroke earlier this year and its left me with the ability to break things just by looking at them . :lol:
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Im going to try a 10 tooth pinion monday night.Change motor out of me SCX rally car ,still waiting on gear puller from UK.any other tips I could try .It was handleing great tonight testing it after raceing.got MJKs on back and pro braids so far.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

You might try running the crown wheel in if it is noisey.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Its not noisey we got another 2 tenths out of lap time today at track.Its on the pace now,When track owner drove it ,it was very fast,still need to change pinion,one tooth bigger.If I can find out where to buy shims I used ,Might have another giude tip for SCX.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

[quote]When track owner drove it ,it was very fast[/quote]

Maybe time to look at your driving technique too?

Does it have slicks or ribbed tyres on thr front?

denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

its got ,ribbed for extra stimulation :lol: sory couldnt resist.Going out for couple hours testing at 6.30 Ill ask at track
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Ok just raced the CUDA I think I got the fastest lap and I came forth,not bad as last race with mustang came last and Im down from about 10.6 secs to 9.2 for me fastest lap
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Good on you Denny, now's the time to focus on those deslots!

denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

WIX ,what you want me to drive slower now LOL.Not sure what you mean.
Buzzard
Telemetry

Post by Buzzard »

Hi Denny,

What Phil means is to try to eliminate coming off.....

If your marshalls are like ours, they spend more time talking than marshalling and this costs a lot of timeto be put back in.

Where if you run 1/10th sec slower per lap, you make up the time by not being assisted by the marshalls.

Phil doesn't always have the fastest car, in fact he rarely has the fastest car, but he usually is far up the pointy end of the results and is very consistant, except where we help him with our marshalling. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Kev.

I don't suffer from senility.
I enjoy every minute.
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

ok thanks Buzzard .But its like they say in raceing,Sometimes its hard to slow down .Theres already 2 lanes I end up driveing a section of track conservativly .Other wise I might have won.And what makes you think I wont come of driveing any slower LOL. And yes there must be a course somewhere that teaches meditation for mashels or how to blank out every thing around you,Now empty your mind and close your eyes nothing must disturb you UUUUUMMMMMMMM LOL
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Denny

Buzzard is right, lets do some maths,

20 laps @ 9 secs a lap = 180 secs (3' 0" mins)
20 laps @ 8.9 secs a lap + 1 deslot (average 3 secs) = 181 secs (3' 1")
20 laps @ 8.8 secs a lap + 2 deslots (6 secs) = 182 secs (3' 2")

After this the deslots start to dramatically outweigh the time gained by the faster lap and this will increase exponentially.

When you practice the track, pick the worst lane and drive it until you have desloted at every corner, you will then have an idea of what your speed will need to be for those corners without deslotting. Do the same with the best lane and you will know how to progressively increase your corner speed with each lane.

The point to aim for is to run a three minute heat with no deslots, Or, at the very worst one only. If models in front of you are pulling away and you keep deslotting, you are driving the model faster than it will go and you will need to back off.
If your model deslots going into a corner, you are hitting the corner too fast. You will need to brake a fraction earlier and apply the power a little earlier in the corner. If you are desotting well into the corner, you ar trying to drive the model around the corner faster than it will go. Back off. If you deslot exiting a corner you are applying the gas a little too early. If you exit the corner with the tail wagging, again you are exiting too quickly and the grip lost in tail wagging will cost you tenths on the straight for each time you do it.

If you find people are still passing you then the model needs a better set up and a bit more 'science' applied to it. Don't try to tune the model directly before a race. Get to the track on a non race day and run it. If your racing group is like ours, your race mates should be only too willing to share set up knowledge with you. There are no secrets in slotracing.

denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Well DER ,But my names not DATA ,I dont have a computer micrometer brain to hand connection . I cant judge that fine a control.I cant drive and see when I come of and just back of a wisker.Thanks any ways guys but could we just concentrate on the car please LOL
I am thinking of getting me own controler though.Hate the stiff parma ones we use.
Buzzard
Telemetry

Post by Buzzard »

Hi Denny,

Great idea... a new "you beaut" controller will help you drive better because you will get used to how fast the power comes on when you pull the trigger, and how much braking you get when you let the trigger off.
This will help with your consistancy.

Now to your car......

All of the tricks of setup will only make your car more predictable in its handling and braking. It still depends on your finger control.
A great handling car is still at the mercy of the fickle finger of control. But you will get more laps more often.
Cheers
Kev.

I don't suffer from senility.
I enjoy every minute.