Carrera BMW M6 GT3

Carrera BMW M6 GT3

Postby wixwacing » Thu 15 Feb, 2018 12:29 pm

Carrera BMW M6 GT3

by Phil Wicks

Schubert Motorsport has been around since 1999 and has been one of the more successful teams in its class. Run by ex racer Torsten Schubert the team has been a ‘BMW works assisted team since 2012; with main sponsors being Swiss watch maker Certina and Chinese tech/phone company Huawei. As well as direct involvement in local motor sport, Team Schubert has exported race prepared models to countries such as Brazil Japan and Norway.

Schubert Motorsport

The team participates mainly in the ADAC (General German Automobile Club) series of races and in particular, the European GT Masters series for GT3 cars. And their drivers for the 2016 series were Finnish driver Jesse Krohn, and Swiss driver Louis Delétraz. The cars themselves are based on the current BMW F12 and F13 models. Significant changes are the 4.38 litre Bi-Turbo V8 producing 585 bhp and a vehicle weight saving of 600 kilograms.
The vehicle livery is as the cars that competed at the Lausitzring in 2016 where they finished 28 out of 32 finishers in race 1, and 6th from 24 in race 2.

I have to mention I did not get to this model in its MIB condition. The owner has allowed some minor mods to be made but I will point these out as we go along.

The model in this livery only comes as a digital 132 car but that’s not the end of the world. The main difference will be the purchase price; and as all Carrera owners know, three quick tugs on the hand throttle with the car in the slot will see the model be quickly converted to analogue use. One plus with the digital model over the analogue is that it comes with a very effective set of lamps front and rear. If like me you have and enjoy the odd nightrace, then this is an added bonus.

But starting at the front, what are we getting for our hard earned dosh! Firstly, you are getting a great model. Carrera have been making some subtle changes to their models….for the better, and this model has a couple of welcome changes in it! But more of that later.

Decals and tampo are true to type and there are no avoidable errors on it. The model sports a respectable interior but only a half drivers tray due mainly to the centrally mounted motor. No matter, one day, ALL slotcars will come with a full interior, trust me! Fine printing down the sides is well done as is the finest detail along the side glass. The wheels look OK but the front tyres look a bit raggedy along the edges. I suspect this is one of the mods as the front tyres, made of a semi hard plastic compound, look to be sitting on the rims reversed, as the tyre ‘Carrera’ logos are now on the inside!!

The rear tyres have also been changed and the model now sports a pair of what look to be silicone compound tyres. Not a big deal but this conflict is the source of further conflict when mixing in urethane circles, It is maintained by urethane aficionados’ that silicones ‘clean the track’, thereby removing that important build up of tyre material on corners and in braking and accelerating zones! But there being no conclusive evidence, the jury is still out on that one!

Underneath, the model has no surprises and is just more reliable simplicity. The digital sensor is visible and one of the two traction magnets is also on display. The rear magnet looks to be a bit lower than early models and the model certainly demonstrates its fair share of down force on the ‘Magnet master’ ©. Both magnets are readily removable.

The front one is held in place with a single screw and bracket, the rear being held in place by a clip on cover. Both are accessed from inside the model. and with care, can be removed or replaced without disturbing other model components

Braid material is OK for Carrera track and braided board track but might prove troublesome on some of the more popular 1:32 home racing tracks, but the braid can be simple to change. A modeller’s knife will open up the brass clips quite easily. You will also notice a micro switch in the vicinity! For those new to Carrera, this is a polarity reversing switch for changing track racing direction.

The body is simple to remove and buy modern standards is a hefty lump, but that doesn’t seem to worry Carrera owners. It makes them a little slower on acceleration and creates extended braking distances when racing against other makes but this shouldn’t be a big deal to the accomplished racer! The interior is masked with black paint which will help reduce ‘light bleed’ through the body from various parts of the model, especially on those night stages!!

Another thing I like with Carrera is the reinforced body mounting posts. As someone who has repaired broken body posts for all and sundry for the last ten years, It is interesting to note that Carrera models rarely feature on the work bench for this fault! Indeed, it has to be something serious for a Carrera to feature on the work bench at all!

Inside the model we can see some of the other mods, Namely the reinforced chassis ribs which allow the model to be made of lighter construction without compromising chassis strength, this is something that Scaley have been doing for the last couple of years with great success. Also, Carrera are still on a tidiness campaign with everything in its pace! I see the RI components have been miniaturised and look very effective on the top of the motor,

In having the hard formula front tyres I think that Carrera like many other makes, are sidestepping the issue; the issue being front end drag from non decoupled wheels, especially in tight corners. There is only one solution and that is independently rotating front wheels. Even SCX can successfully do this in their own way, But decoupled front wheels are not the final solution, I wont be happy until someone produces an effectively steerable front end! We have come close a couple of times in the past but there doesn’t seem to be the will to develop it.

Looking further at the inside and another pet hate of mine still rears its ugly head and that is slack axle bushes, the main cause of which is the creation of a fitting tolerance required to get the axle bushes over the contrate knurling on the axle shaft. This is prevalent on several leading makes and really needs fixing. I have had some fellow racers recommend lubing the bushes and applying a little superglue to the shaft! Scary stuff! Needless to say, I neither recommend nor condone such a risky practice!

Another plus is the miniaturisation of the light led components as we migrate from clumsy one piece light boards to discreet components mounted out of the way at the corners of the chassis. Carrera are also still persisting with the thumping great guide and return spring. All good for Carrera track but I would suggest that probably the greater number of Carrera 1/32 cars could be raced on non Carrera surfaces. At least they supply some smaller guides as a concession, but that spring keeps me awake at nights still!

Again as with the 1/24 models if you are not happy with the digital set up or just want to shed a few extra grams, the guide wiring plug can be plugged directly to the motor plug and the chip can be removed, creating a regular 1/32 racer. Another plus is that the wheel centre step has been reduced in diameter to 1.1 m.m., making it easier to match up your favourite race tyre with the OE wheels, which, by the way are very concentric and quite usable for competition.

M6's on eBay

So an exciting development for Carrera and a welcome addition to the DTM class. The best bit of all is that Austrian company Carrera are able to make and sell them at such good value for a top slotcar. In the 18,000 rpm motor class it would have to be a toss up between Scaley and Carrera for the crown. Mmmmmmmmm?

Many thanks to fellow RCE member Grant for the opportunity to review this impressive model

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Return to Carrera Reviews