The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

'Outlaw' Porsche 550 by Kenneth

Bought or built something new? Show us here!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

'Outlaw' Porsche 550 by Kenneth

Post by wixwacing »

’Outlaw Porsche 550’

By Kenneth

This may go against some model car purist’s views on beautiful old cars. Being a Porschephile I have loathed the `outlaw` 356 vehicles that seem favoured by 356 owners in California. I used to cringe at photos of beautiful pre 60`s Porsches being Outlawed` by their owners. This all started with the Emery Brothers in Southern California during the 60`s when they started to heavily modify 356`s and these `bastardized` Porsches became known as `Outlaws`.

Outlaw article link

550 Coupe Le Mans link

As I had taken delivery of a box of goodies from ebay full of Ocar complete kits , 2x 550 coupes & a Lotus Europa, Wanting to do something different than the 1953 Le Mans car livery I toyed with various liveries in my head, until I thought I could try to do an `Outlaw` version of the 550 Coupe, figured it would be a good learning curve as this was my first resin kit, so any mistakes could be covered up with paint, other bits and also wanting the car to be eligible for classic sports racing , I needed to get more rubber on the track and keep the front axle narrower than the rear. Searching through spare parts littered in different locations on my bench I came across some Ninco Fuch wheels which were to be for another project with a 70`s 911 body. I also found some Martini Decals from a 917/10 Matchbox model kit I picked up.

The idea became very clear very fast `Outlaw` 550 historic racer in white with Martini Decals ( I love Martini Liveries) with Fuch wheels that would use much wider rubber of 10 -11 mm and it would sit very low. I found enough bits to make my own interior instead of the vac formed one included with it. The interior became a right hand drive half tray to fit above the PCS32 chassis, with a modern driver. The 18k rpm motor that comes with the kit was swapped for a BWA NC1 spec motor that fits straight in. I found some more bits like a modern side mirror and an old style exhaust with pipes attached that would sit roughly where a rear bumper would be if it had one.

There are a few rough spots on the finished product but overall I am very happy with the result. And I did learn heaps about preparing a resin body for painting & mounting.