Dick Johnson Racing - Ford Mustang

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Dick Johnson Racing - Ford Mustang

Post by wixwacing »

Dick Johnson Racing

’85 Mustang

by Phil Wicks

Some long while ago now I started the conversion of an ’82 Ford Mustang by Monogram. The conversion was to update it to the Dick Johnson 1985 season car. Along the way a couple of setbacks befell me. The first was to get enough pictures of the ’85 Mustang to complete it and secondly, to get the decals.

After an email to Bruce Paterson which resulted in a ‘sorry I’m very busy’ reply, I decided to do the model anyway and hope that one day either Bruce or someone would do a decal sheet. So, in the absence of some good pictures a friend ventured along to DJR ‘s showroom and place of business at Yatala, S.E Queensland and by good luck the car was in the show room in restored condition.

A few photos later saw the conversion go ahead in leaps and bounds. The final car has an intake scoop on the bonnet so this was fashioned from some styrene card. The rear window also has the shape of a fastback too and this was carefully executed and a new rear window made. Other minor things were grille detail and lights but I have to admit to being a bit lax in this department and the skilled observer would detect some incorrect detail here. Not to worry, the project wasn’t meant to be a carbon copy.

After painting and building a PCB chassis and running the model to ensure it went well it was placed up on a shelf to await some decals. I tried downloading some of the logos, I tried creating others and eventually I gave up for lack of hours to devote to it. Wheels and inserts were from BWA and tyres were Scalextric GT40’s (I think?)

Several weeks ago now I was having a constitutional browse through Patto’s web site as I am prone to do and low and behold, there with a !NEW! logo beside it was a sheet of DJR decals. After checking that all the ones I wanted were on it I emailed Bruce and the parts were paid for and on their way.

The decal sheet comes with a host of DJR details to cover his Falcon and Sierra cars to so there are quite a few ’left overs’. The decals were duly applied one side at a time and left to dry and after standing for a week, I applied two coats of clear lacquer. There are still a couple of finer points to be added like the black finish around the windows but that will only be a few minutes work. The model has been finished as the car currently in the DJR showroom so some of the more familiar sponsors decals are not on it.

The end result is a great model which drives well with its Scaley ‘S’ Can and probably a rare model to boot. I can’t see any of the majors going out of their way to make this one! UI shall give it a few board track outings and then it will be consigned to the display cabinet along with some of my greater triumphs!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!