The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Airfix Porsche 917 with PCB

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Airfix Porsche 917 with PCB

Post by wixwacing »

Here are a few shots of a Martini 917 I finished some while back now. I used the Airfix kit for this one and Patto’s supplied the decals which turned out to be a close fit. Once again, an effort was made to retain as much of the interior detail. Not easy when you are fitting an ‘in-line’ motor.

The body was primed with Tamiya flat grey and all the defects filled and rubbed down. The top coat of silver was then applied and left to cure for a week. The decals were a bit of a worry as some of the long ones are impossible to handle and fit over 3D curves! These were cut down and applied carefully in smaller sections. One light coat of well thinned clear laquer on the decals and a couple of days later a heavier coat to finish.

I used the circuit board again as it proves to be easy to work with a few simple tools and the Supercheap version of a Dremel. I used Fly front and rear wheels and tyres, the reason for this was that 1. I got 917 wheels and tyres and 2. They are very effective on board tracks when running an in-line chassis.

This is a shot of the underbody with the floor pan suitably modified. The pale section shows the modification to allow the motor to protrude into the cab without too much ill effect. The side strips that take the chassis are reinforced with some vertical struts not visible in this picture.

The motor is another Cartrix motor. The rear gear is a Cartrix 27z and the axle is 3/32 music wire. The axle mounts are two 5/32” o.d. brass tubes cross drilled, each with an 1/8” o.d. tube to carry the axle. During final assembly the tubes can be moved up or down before spot soldering to adjust ride height and ensure everything is in line and square. On this model the rear axle and motor are on a dropdown section designed to emulate the ‘loose screw’ syndrome. Power is picked up beside the motor direct from the chassis.

The front end is similar to the rear but here the axle has been cut and retained with some fine collars from the local Aero model store. This allows the car to ride on the front wheels but still retain independent rotation. The guide is the old faithful Ninco sprung guide. It needs very little clearance under the car and helps in achieving that low slung look. The lead wires are soldered to the chassis just behind the front axle and this eliminates the need for wires going to the rear of the chassis. It also gives the guide a positive self centring action. The chassis is suitably scored to isolate the conductors up to the motor.

I ran this at friend Garry’s board track a week or so back and after some running in and teething problems, the car settled down very nicely. It behaves beautifully in both slow and fast corners and the motor kicks into the straights well although I'm still not too sure about the motor. It has a bit more guts than the Scalex motor but seems to draw a lot of current. It would hardly go on an Aurora HO power pack I have hooked up at home. Garry is running 12v/18 watt transformers and I feel it may still have something in reserve.

I made this one ly to use up a kit that turned up in a bunch of stuff that a friend had and was going to do it in Gulf colours but having recently seen the Martini 917 I decided to do myself a favour. All in all I’m very pleased with it and it is another surprise bundle but the jury's still out on the motor???

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!