Revell Mercedes CLK static kit conversion

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Revell Mercedes CLK static kit conversion

Post by wixwacing »

Revell Mercedes CLK
Static kit conversion

By Phil Wicks

Revell Germany has been producing plastic construction kits for some time now and every now and then it has released some disireable 1/32 scale car models. In recent times classics such as the Porsche 935, Lamborghini Countach, ‘D’ type Auto Union and others have been re-issued, being made from the moulds of several companies, but in the last couple of years they have taken the bull by the horns and created a new series of models in 1/32 with obvious intentions for them to be used in slot car racing.

The series is called the ‘Easy kit’ range and consists of quick, no glue assembly features. The DTM series includes the Audi TT, Mercedes CLK and Opel Astra. More recent models are the Peugeot 307 and projected models are the Rally Raid series BMW’s and Nissans and a Ferrari Modena! All of which, somewhere or other will end up as a slot car. I acquired this model new from Aussie ebay for $19.95 plus post.

The kits are very user friendly. They come ready painted in authentic liveries and consist of twenty or so parts, all of which snap together to make a very attractive model. The kit comes with steel axles and slotcar style wheels and even tyres that, at a push, could be used for racing!

The driver’s tray is shallow allowing plenty of space underneath for a motor and running gear. There is no driver supplied but there are a wide range of drivers from various leading makes currently on the market to fill that spot.

The conversion I have carried out is very basic. A flat chassis was made from copper sided PC board and the components marked out and mounted very carefully. The motor was recessed into the board to get as low a clearance as possible. The guide pin was marked at the front of the board and a suitable diameter brass tube was soldered into place to take the guide.

The model base was trimmed to take the new chassis and reinforced at the sides with some plastic card. This is also what the chassis sits on and is secured by four 2 gauge screws. The model was glued together as I didn’t want it ‘snapping’ apart whilst racing it. The kit plastic is not strictly polystyrene and I suspect it is a type of ABS and it is necessary to ensure any glue used will glue ABS in particular. Some liquid bottle glues will do both; you’ll need to read the label.

The front and rear axles are mounted in cross tubes which in turn are mounted through vertical tubes. These ‘T’ pieces are fitted in drilled holes in the chassis but are not soldered until the final assembly when the ride height will be determined. After mounting the motor and the guide and loosely fitting the body, the model is sat on a dummy slot section and the ride height is adjusted by moving the front and rear axle mounts up and down until the desired effect is achieved. A spot of solder is then applied to the vertical tubes and when cool, the motor position is finally determined and adjusted, the motor sides and corresponding circuit board is cleaned and a spot of solder either side fixes it firmly in place.

A Ninco spring loaded guide was used and the tube was trimmed until the guide was a comfortable fit under the car and had about 1.5 mm up and down movement. The front end is one of my ‘Wixle’ set ups. It gives the front axle a useful rigid effect whilst at the same time allows the front wheels to rotate independently. A few final clearance checks and Bob’s your uncle!

The motor used was a Cartrix TX 17,000 rpm motor, This is supposed to be the equivalent of the stock Scalextric and Fly motors but to date I have yet to be convinced. I have a couple of Scalextric motors spare and may well substitute one in the near future.

Does it run? Yes actually and quite well too! After the usual minor adjustments, trimming the inside of the wheel arches to give more clearance, tyre truing etc. the car was soon at home on red lane. Acceleration was quite responsive and cornering too was steady. I wasn’t running a loose chassis on this as the tyre to wheel arch clearance was minimal and as it’s not a competition car I wasn’t too bothered about those extra tenths. It’s very quiet and very smooth.

The statistics are

Weight					88grams
Front axle load		        	39grms
Rear axle load		        	49 grms
Front/rear %				44.3% / 55.7%
Wheelbase				84 mm
Front axle width			58 mm
Rear axle width			        60.5
Final Drive				27/9   (3:1)
Last outing was a good blast on red lane. I think the motor may be loosening up? Car drives well and has good brakes. The wheels and tyres are SCX DTM’s and although they have been trued they could do with a few more laps. All the same, once I was happy with it I opened it up and managed a comfortable 7.537 secs. So it’s up there with the best. I look forward to giving it a more severe testing this Friday!

I have also done the Audi TT with a Ninco NC5 and recent testing on another friends board track showed a few problems which I am working on. Now it’s time for Revell to release some models of cars not seen amongst the main manufacturers! Bring on the Modena!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!