Airfix Alfa 1933 8C 2300

Airfix Alfa 1933 8C 2300

Postby wixwacing » Thu 24 May, 2018 4:40 pm

Airfix Alfa Romeo 8C
2300 1933

Modeling in miniature has always been a challenge to me and for the most part one that I have relished over the years; I will profess not to be as good as some of the more accomplished modellers on the net as my challenge has always been the mechanics of the job rather than the glossy finish. That is why my paint jobs sometimes leave a little to be desired, but no matter, the end job is to get a mechanically sound model on to the track in a reliable form with essentially good driving qualities. If I excel in the paint job then that is a plus.

This is a version of the Airfix 1933 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300. A beautiful drophead roadster from pre war years and from a time when Alfa Romeo build quality was at its best! The kit is ostensibly the same as the Vintage Scaley Alfa Romeo, the only difference being that the vintage Scaley model is 1:30th scale whereas this model is 1:32! Other features which will govern the final level of detail are all the fiddly bits around the body. Some of these will be left off as their life expectancy will be very short, for a working model, time spent on these is time wasted.

The first decision was motive power and its location. I wanted to do a model with detailed interior and the best configuration was to combine one of the faster HO motors in a front motor set up combined with a transmission shaft drive. For this I went with my old favourite pcb board chassis. All components are soldered into their locations. I have been experimenting with a variety of adhesives on some recent builds with great success, and in this particular case the motor will be set in place with ‘Superglue’ (ca)

The body kit was assembled and painted according to instructions and hurdles were jumped as they arose. The first body issue was the wings (fenders/mudguards) these are mounted on spindly stays which had no strength at all! After a while I decided create some new stays from very thin sheet brass. The wings were epoxied to these. On the finished model these assemblies were superglued to the front axle assembly and become part of the chassis. On the rear the wings had their plastic stays substituted with thicker brass rod mounted through the body sides at the rear and epoxied in place.

Things like lamps, radiators, rear hood etc were painted before assembly; seats and dash had the same treatment. At the front of the model is the front chassis detail. This I discarded as after mounting the guide and front suspension parts there were no suitable mounting spots. I eventually created a new one using brass and this was superglued into place at the closing stages of the build. Once all the body was assembled and the chassis popped in and out comfortably it was time to paint. I settled on a basic colour as the several photos I have of the real thing vary quite dramatically in tone and hue.

Another tricky task is getting the chassis and its components neatly hidden under the body. The front axle was made from brass tubing and pcb material, this allowed me to create a front axle with ‘offset’ to emulate the original. Fortunately there was enough space left and the chassis was mounted using a couple of 2 gauge hex drive screws from the RC shop, The motor being glued in place counters the weakness created by the motor mounting hole! Remember to clean all gluing surfaces with a residue free solvent (Shellite or similar)

When getting closer to finishing it is time to decide on how to mount some of the remaining parts. One issue will be the windscreen. This has a very narrow contact edge and using polystyrene cement will cause the clear parts to ‘cloud’, the glue may well cause the paint finish to blister too! My new glue to the scratch build bench is aero modeller ‘canopy glue’. This is a pva type glue with great non invasive adhesive qualities and…. it dries clear!. Trial fit the screen first! then clean the mating surfaces.

When all is good, apply a bead of glue along the edge of the screen and bring the parts together. If the parts prove to be a loose fit on preliminary testing, cut a small square of blue tack and use it to prop up the screen whilst in position. If you have not used enough or too much, glue can be managed with a small/medium artists brush to add/remove glue. The brush will clean up using tap water! (do not use superglue for fixing clear parts!).

Because of the lack of appropriate wheels I decided to use the kit wheels until some turn up. The front tyres are from the Scaley Ferrari 375 GP model. These don’t have too much grip and shouldn’t interfere too much with the models handling. The rears are MJK 4212 urethanes, they are designed to fit the 60’s Scaley GP cars and the ribs allow the model to ‘wash off’ a little speed into and out of corners while stopping the model from roll over deslots.

The front end was a bit tricky but eventually fell into place. In this picture the new front wing stays are visible and the Scaley front tyres are also on display. As with many wixwacing creations, the font wheels rotate independently, again to lower the risk and effect of too much front end drag in corners. The front lights look a bit scungey and may get a rework down the track!

After the body was painted and assembled I tried out a bit of ‘weathering on the door seams and bonnet louvers. I also gave other parts of the detail the treatment to good effect, The process is as follows. Pour a small amount of paint thinners into a small shallow tray or container. Stir some flat black and dip the smallest end of a “0” paint brush briefly into the paint and then into the thinners. The paint will float off the end of the paint brush into the thinners, Then, dip the brush into the coloured part of the thinners jut lightly.

Briefly touch the brush tip on a piece of kitchen towel to remove excess thinners, then apply the brush to the area to be tinted. The coloured thinners should then flow along any detail. Note DO NOT brush the thinners on, it will loosen the body paint colour. Always apply the thinners as a ‘dab’ If threre is insufficient cover repeat the process. Applying a dry brush will remove excess thinners, again DO NOT BRUSH!

So this model has been sitting on the bench for a couple of years now, simply because I hadn’t solved the ‘front end’ problems. But I am now sure I have overcome these and the model should be a goer! Time will tell. In the meantime it can enjoy the company of my other classic cars! All that is left to do is to take it for a fang round my local board track. I’m not expecting it to be a world beater but I’m sure, as with its predecessors, it will provide plenty of entertainment and conversation.

Stay tuned

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Airfix Alfa 1933 8C 2300

Postby wixwacing » Mon 28 May, 2018 5:25 pm

The following are a series of pictures which have been taken over the last couple of years and it is interesting to see how much work actually went into the model.

The body needs to be assembled first to get the chassis in shape

Under chassis detail needs to be removed where it fouls the chassis

Front axle detail

Basic chassis and axles

Bare chassis with motor recess

Front axle assembly

Chassis assembled

Interior assmbled

Front axle components

Body / chassis test fit

OEM comparison

Time for some painting.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Return to The Scratchbuilders Lair