The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Results Legends July round, Mt Ommaney

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Results Legends July round, Mt Ommaney

Post by wixwacing »

Slotcar Legends July meeting was raced last Saturday (3rd) and yet again another good turn out amongst the stalwarts and some crisp weather to contend with to say the least. I arrived at 2.00 pm and was surprised to find I was far from being the first there. No matter, meet and greet formalities discharged and it was time to put some model tuning alterations to the test. The venue at Jen and Paul’s soon filled and queues developed at the driver stations, the longest one always seemed to be behind Pete J !!?? No matter, we all had a good run before racing commenced.

During the course of the evening I caught up with some of the guys new models and there were some great scale models and wicked liveries to enjoy. The following ones are which most caught my eye, and for good reason.

Some shots of Moby’s Ninco impact resistant Mustang

Bob brought along (and raced!) A couple of superb Lola T70 spyders.

And Peter Shannon brought and also wasn’t afraid to race a beautifully turned out Chapparal. Peter likes his Chappies to the degree of adding the detail which may have been left off at the design stage for whatever reason, check out the improvement!!

Before

After

Finally racing got under way and first class up was Rally sedans, Scalextric and SCX only. Up 18,000 rpm. This brought a few old favourites out of the woodwork and some new models too. My choice was an old faithful SCX Peugeot 206 carefully balanced and tyred. The SCX Feat 131 proved popular and some got theirs to go well.

Early heats saw a few driver errors take people out. Chris tore out a good lead only to be dogged later by continual deslotting. Under pressure I suspect the grip level of the model started to hassle him. Ken, as well meaning as he was, was asked to vacate his marshalling position on the grounds of being too short?? As it turned out, the first heat was a total disaster and the marshalls were hoping for an improvement.

I was feeling a bit guilty about my models performance so I swapped horses mid stream. The new mount was an upgraded Scaley Metro 6R4, but the way some were driving I could have won with a three wheeled car!

Secret men’s (slotcar) business in progress.

By the end of the class most were getting the hang of things. Gary drove an impressive 131 and Paul took a leaf from Bob’s book and drove a selection. I decided to give the Metro a rest and went on to race an SCX Hyundai but Glen had the drop on us all and even he was surprised when the results were displayed.

Next up was the track owners choice. This was for controversial Can Am cars. With very few of us knowing what qualified and what didn’t we agreed to disagree and set off apace for the finishing line. There was a new Carrera M20 in the race and a bevy of very nice Chapparals too.

Heat four saw Ken dog Eggy making his race uncomfortable . But eventually the pressure was too great and Ken spun off leaving John time to cruise to the finishing line. I suspect the negative barracking from the sidelines also contributed to Ken’s demise!!

They seemed to be the focal point of the event as the scenario was revisited in heat twelve. This time long term adversaries Ken and Eggy traded places (and insults) ‘til Eggy crossed the finishing line only feet in front of Ken.

I managed to stay clear of trouble in all four heats. Time and again I drove into serious marshalling situations but eventually managed four clear heats to steal first spot from Paul by seconds. Once again Ken added to his own infamy buy Marshalling the race leaders car and putting it back on……..backwards!!

Its about this time we stopped for refreshments and we retired to the pool area. By now, ambient conditions were possibly down to six or seven deg. C and even my one time European metabolism was showing signs of cold stress. After supper it was back to the track and round five of the Classic Mustang Trophy Challenge. This event has been a bit of an eye opener from the point that very few racers have settled on their ideal mount even five meetings into the event.

Any more blue cars?

The last class was well underway and although there were a few Pioneer cars on the tracks they seemed to struggle just that little bit against the Scaley cars. Justin in particular had been having an average night and I suspect he was looking towards a good mustang race, having some of the best track cars in practice. But, yet once again, his race became unravelled and by heat fifteen it wasn’t looking good.

On the other hand, the guy who had been making up numbers almost, decided it was time to impress. He ran four steady heats and quietly worked his way through the field and he was surprised as any when the computer delivered its verdict. Top spot on the podium for the Eggmeister and a skilful race plan. He didn’t win all his heats but his combined heat time put him four seconds in front of Paul, who did win all of his heats! Well done John.

With the night moving on and temperatures plummeting the guys dispearsed slowly and a few diehards (myself included) stayed behind for a bit of NC1 fun

Many thanks to Jen and Paul for inviting us into their home and many thanks too for the pre race nibblys. We certainly look forward to the next meeting here. In the meantime, Q32’S NEXT ROUND IS AT THE Eggdome, Buderim. Wooooohooooo!!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!