18,000 rpm's
50%

Total votes: 8

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

New Trophy class

Post by wixwacing »

OK Guys
After an exchange of ideas at Alans yesterday, it looks like Can Am is coming up very fast in the rear view mirror. Not only Can Am but the suggestion has been made by more than on person that it be for the 15,000 rpm motors, ie, NC1, NC8, NC11 and one or two generics which are now readily available. Jordan has a contact for the FF low speed motors and Glen has a source of 'S' can motors. I have used the Cartrix TX1 with some success although it is rated slightly lower. And there is nothing stopping you popping a motor out of another model if you like.

The folllowing is a list of cars that were registered for the CAn Am series. There are some 'blow ins' there that people have taken exception to so we need to weed out the 'can't runs' before we go any further. We also need to judge whether the Vanquish model bodies qualify or are overscale by too much? Are Slot.It Chapparals OK ?? .....and much more.

The Holman Moody / Andretti Ford Honker!!!

This is the final list!

Historic Can Am 1966 – 1974

McLaren M6			McLaren M8			Lola T70 spyder
Porsche 917/10 spyder		Porsche 917/30 spyder		Shadow Mk2/3 
BRM P167			Chapparal 2E/F/G/H/J		Lola T160
Lola T163			Lola T260			Lola T310	
Ferrari 612/P			Porsche 917 spyder		March 707
McLaren M20			Lola T190/220			Ferrari 712	
McLaren M1a/b/c			Cooper Ford 			Shadow DN4
Shelby King Cobra		Lola T162			BRM P154
McLaren M12a			Lola T222			Alfa Romeo T33/3
Ferrari 712M Shadow DN2

Also check out
Can Am championship >1974

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Re: New Trophy class

Post by paulthetexan »

Howdy

Can-Am sound good to me and I agree with the " no blow in " policy . Not sure about NC1 however , would rather run cars I have with 18,000 rpm motors but will be happy to go along with majority . Unless nobody else logs in looks like I'm the majority ! Yipeeeee......

Paul
Go hard or Go home
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

With the large numbers you guys get up there, that'd be an impressive field for a race class!
The Racer Administrator
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

Hey Rob

At a couple of meetings recently we had 18-19 guys front up . Makes for a long nights racing . What sought of numbers are you getting down your way .

You also mentioned you may be back for a visit this time of year , is that still on the cards ?

Paul
Go hard or Go home
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

G'day Guys

I have put a poll at the top of the first topic. Racers only please, I am able to see who is voting in administration! You are allowed one vote only, but you can change it if you want at any time during the duration of the poll.

Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

paulthetexan wrote:You also mentioned you may be back for a visit this time of year , is that still on the cards ?

Paul
Just about to start a new job, so that won't be a goer unfortunately!

Gotta spend some $$$ on the R33 to get a few things fixed (rear main seal, and probably a headgasket), so it'll be in the future, just a matter of when!
The Racer Administrator
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

You gotta stop doing burnouts to warm your car up Rob
Go hard or Go home
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

Just a quick note about motor spec , although NC1 is a lot of fun , I usually think of CAN-AM cars as open rules anything goes super modified cars with 5/6/7/8 litre engines quoted as being faster than GP cars of the time . Any thoughts about how you want the cars to perform .

I like setting up cars so I'll go the the faster motors any time , Get me into an NC1 race and I always come home 7th or 8th so I'm going to be biase .

Paul
Go hard or Go home
The Goon
Spectator

Post by The Goon »

My thoughts it should be restricted to 18000 rpm motors as they will be box stock then with the only changes of tyres and weight added if you wish.
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

Guys,

Interesting class and I am happy with the choice of can am. As for motors etc. I got one of the new slim can motors off jordan on the week end and put it in my monogram chaparral. What was once a very taily car and uncontrollable is now very nice to drive.

I suppose I am in two minds. I love NC1 cars etc but I understand where paul is coming from. I suppose the solution would just be to limit the motor class to 18,000 and be done with it. If i want to race a slower motor then so be it.

On smaller tracks I don't know if there is going to be a great deal of difference.

So, in sumation. CAN AM is great. What ever motor class as long as it is not over 18,000.
Sorry I don't know how to fill in the poll thingy.
Regards to all but goon boy.

Egg
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

All very good points made by everyone and I can't argue with any of them. I think the 18,000rpm limit, using Mabuchi motors(Scaley, Fly, Sloter factory fit type motors or Ninco NC2, NC5 motors etc) are what we understand the norm to be and I think perfect for the class. I like Egg's idea of power reduction with his Chappy and even with the lesser powered NC1 type motor equivalent I think it might just be a strong contender in the performance stakes given most of our tracks are NC1 friendly, plus the car will look great on track with the other real Can Am machines.
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

Just had to change my mind . Had Phil and Goony over last night and we spent the last hour racing NC1 classic sports and just laughed our heads off . Goon had a NINCO JAG , Phil had a Scratch Built AC Cobra and I drove an Carrera Morgan plus 8 converted to NC1 . So three very different spec. cars with absolutley nothing in it down the straight , just close racing the whole time .

Now Goon could have been foxing and Phil may have been being polite but that just doesn't sound right . By the end of the night I have to say I was converted , NC1 for me ..................
Go hard or Go home
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

If we could only run one motor type it would be what we all call the NC1 or it's generic equivilent. But in this case making the Can Am cars have to run with NC1 type motors may be a little harder to do than with our other NC1 classes which are predominately already Ninco based cars. And the reason I think you will find it harder for many guys to change over to NC1 motors has to do with the end bells on the motors. Fly, Scalextric and Sloter to name just 3 have their end bells at the opposite end of the motors compared to Ninco and Carrera which would easilly adapt NC1 motors into them. One solution is to have everyone use the BWA motors (NC1 equivilent) which have the dual drive shaft through both ends of the motor allowing them to be used in all cars with the "S" can configuration. But that may also be a problem to get enough numbers of motors in time for the new season. Otherwise I think we need to run the standard higher powered 18,000rpm motors instead.

Perro
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Hi guys
12 more NC1 spec FF motors will be in my hands by the meeting after Pauls - $12 each.
You want to secure yourself one email me.
You guys got my email.
I will be taking money & names at Pauls.
only 12 coming - it will take me nearly 4 weeks to get more.
the quick or the ones without motors - your call.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Put me down for one Jordan, do I need to get a pinion?