The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

SEQSCC Labour Day Slotfest results

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

SEQSCC Labour Day Slotfest results

Post by wixwacing »

Well it all seems a bit of a blur now but I will try my best to recall the event, but it was The SEQSCC meeting on the May day holiday and a good show of twelve racers through the casual event was enough to add some thrills and spills to an increasingly popular event. With ‘El Maestro’ being detained by things theatrical’ we soldiered on and his absence was barely noticed as the evening flowed seamlessly from one race to the next.

Surrounded by 70 metres plus of Scalextric sport track!!

The first event was Lotus 7 / Caterhams. A contentious class as it has been known for marshalls to take things into their own hands and administer summary justice to those who otherwise had the sweet taste of victory in sight! This is an event where braids can make or break a race and in this event I decided that no one….but no one was going to touch MY BRAIDS!!!

The SEQSCC Megatrack. Is this the largest slotcar track regularly raced in the Southern Hemisphere??

SEQSCC racing is always sudden death racing. No cycling across lanes, no restarts. Just the cut and thrust of the here and now. If you miss your event or cock it up, it’s all over Red Rover!! As it happens, at the discretion of the race controller you may get a second suck of the sav, based purely upon a whim! Fortunately, the whim was aimed at me in this event and to be fair, after walking my first heat by a country mile, I restored the hard and oval tyres to my mount in an effort to restore some parity amongst the contestants.

In the first heat Bill managed, some say by supernatural powers!!, to win his heat in a comfortable contest against lesser adversaries. Heat two was a marshalls delight and I managed to drive my way through the carnage, pushing my fresh MJK’s to a resounding victory, lapping nearly five seconds a lap faster than second place!!! Race three saw Andrew take out line honours after a steady drive while I slipped and slid my way through several laps of the tortuous circuit.

Event 1			Lotus 7 / Caterhams		About 7 laps??

Race 1			        Driver				best lap

1.				Bill				31.5
2.				Ken				38.1
3.				Peter				37.3
4.				Kym				42.3

Race 2.

1.				Phil				29.9
2.				Julian				34.1
3.				Paul				38.4
4.				Sean				36.5

Race 3.

1.				Andrew		        	34.3
2.				Phil				41.4
3.				Sean				41.3
4.				Peter J.			55.0
Next up was Classic F1. This was for a range of models from the fifties to the sixties. Always a challenge as some of the Scalextric models travel at an excessive rate of knots and when the odd corner looms up it is a full time job to negotiate the hazard until the next straight. I noticed one or two models shedding the odd item of detail but for the most part the drivers were well disciplined and the marshalls’ lot was not an uncomfortable one for the greater part.

From the start of the first heat it was obvious some drivers were racing with their cards close to their chest. One gentleman named Paul screwed his model away into the sunset leaving the rest of the field to sort things out with the marshalls. It was good to see lap times fall into the twenties though!!

Santa paid an early visit this year.

My heat was a soft heat once again with my Lotus 49, like its Lotus 7 stablemate, circulating five seconds a lap quicker than the runner up, inspite of several attempts by marshalls and other drivers to impede my progress. Heat thre became a little confusing when no less than THREE! Peters took part. But to save any confusion, Sean one the event.
Event 2			Classic F1			quite a few laps

Race 4.

1.				Paul				??.??
2.				Peter H.			??.??
3.				Andrew		        	??.??
4.				Ken				??.??

Race 5.

1.				Phil				24.9
2.				Bill				29.4
3.				Kym				33.7
4.				Peter J.			31.5

Race 6.	

1.				Sean				24.9
2.				Peter H.			28.6
3.				Peter S.			32.5
4.				Peter J.			??.??
Last formal race of the evening before the SEQSCC trial was to be GT40 / Ferrari P4’s. As it turned out, most of the entrants were dyslexic or illiterate as GT 40’s made up barely half of the proceedings, with Julian conceding to request after request for either models which didn’t qualify or for the use of something which did! It was about this time of the evening that attention to detail started to wane a little and results were hard to come by! Nonetheless, racing continued in good spirit and a scetchy picture emerged as to who was achieving and who wasn’t!

GT40’s ? with one driver jumping the start!

After an undisclosed amount of laps, the results looked something like this (apologies for any omission of critical data!)
Event 3			GT40’s			Laps (it’s a secret)

Race 7

1.				Phil				24 ish
2.				Bill				27.8
3.				Andrew		        	29.6
4.				Paul				??.??

Race 8

1.				Sean				25 ±?
2.				Peter J.			30.6
3.				Kym				32.4
4..				Peter S.			30.9

Race 9

1.				Peter H			        ??.??
2.				Julian				??.??
3 or 4				Peter S.			??.??
4 or 3				Sean				??.??
Last event for the evening was the SEQSCC Challenge, always looked forward too if only for its bizarre nature. This time it was the running of the Maserati Challenge ‘One lap dash’! Four similar cars on the line and to stay in their lanes. Maserati Cambio Corsas with the traction magnet in the front position. A one lap dash and sudden death if you come off. A case of doing the best with the tools at hand. Some had hard tyres, some were underperforming, others were just shocking and we all looked forward to racing the good one. Eventually, once all racers left had raced each lane, the manual task of totting the tally was undertaken and yours truly managed to win three of my four heats, leaving me at the head of the pack.

With the early evening drawing on and nine o’clock fast approaching, we were summoned away by the the long journeys home and we all left Julian to clear up! Good on you Julian! See you next month!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!