The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slotcar legends results April - Mt Ommaney

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slotcar legends results April - Mt Ommaney

Post by wixwacing »

I always look forward to local slotcar racing with the Legends and Q32. They seem to have the right combination of tracks and the right combination of race classes and even though some of the older members have been racing some of these tracks for several years or more, they never fail to entertain, and the convivial atmosphere is second to none! Paul and Jen’s home at Mount Ommaney is no exception, A fairly new track to the local slotracing circus but a mega track which favours the skilled racer.

With March gone, the cooler months are approaching the sub tropics of the southern hemisphere and with this and other local tracks exposed to the atmosphere, the evening proved to be cool in more ways than one. Once again with sixteen racers in attendance it was going to be a disciplined evening in more ways than one. Racing got underway not long after 4.00 pm and with fifteen lap races it needed some close attention to changeover timing to keep the event rolling.

The card for the evening was a good balance of models with the first event being Classic GP Late ‘60’s on. This is probably the first serious attempt we have had at this class and there was a real possibility that the newer Fly and Scaley cars could well dominate the event. As it turned out those that owned them decided to race some old favourites instead and we were treated to a display of genuine fine slotcars from the era.

Models making up the field included small Johnson Scalextrics, MRRC M23, a couple of newer Scaley M23’s and Ferraris and even a Scaley 2-4-0 March. Not fast on the straight but with four new MJK’s on the rear, extremely tenacious in the corners. In the right hands some of these models were to prove difficult to beat. One especially was Norm’s small Johnson UOP.

Early on the shenanigans started. With a good degree of track in squeeze mode and with open wheelers in close contact it was always going to be a case of extreme self discipline. Chris succumbed in the fast tapering centre section by pile driving into the back wheel of the model in front, the action itself sent his model through the upper reaches of the scenic trees in a spectacular fashion. Lesson one learnt!.

Disappointment of the evening must have been when Eggy and Paul spent several laps head to head with Paul getting tangled up on the last lap leaving Egg to take the line honours. Unfortunately, with track relays yet to be fitted, it was revealed that Paul had actually finished the lap before John’s victorious crossing of the line!! Bad luck John! A couple of heats later it was all over and the results confirmed some folks expectations…..and others fears!!!

Race 1			Classic GP (with wings)		15 laps

Pos.			Gp B.			Driver		Race time

1.						Norm			12’ 35”
2.						Chris			12’ 51”
3.						Paul			13’ 11”
4.						Phil
5.			1.			Greig
6.			2.			Gary
7.			3.			Peter S.
8.						Glen
9.						Alan
10.						Eggy
11.			4.			Ken
12.			5.			Peter J
13.			6.			Jordan
14.			7.			Jay
15.			8.			Bob
16.			9.			Rhys

Next up was the set class. On this occasion we were looking at racing Modern Rally, motor class B (18,000 rpm @ 12V). Ninco made a strong appearance with the new Subarus almost an obligatory start line accessory. Other adventurous models were some SCX standards and A Fly Audi Quattro. A Fly Lancia was also a potential contender but the threat never really materialised. My choice of tool was a plastic Teamslot Alpine with MJK’s to the back.

I got called up with three other expectant victors but the low powered Alpine drove like a dream and I managed to pull out a large comfort zone and (almost) cruise to the line. By this time the rest of the drivers where settling in and I must admit, for all the crashes that occurred on the upper in field, none were as spectacular as the open wheelers. A bit disappointing really, but we don’t come for the crashes, do we boys????.................................

Heat four revealed someone was using psychic powers in their racing!! Ken managed to race three laps watching someone else’s model and still stay in the lead!! Spooky!! More spooky still, his luck held for the rest of the heat and he managed to win it convincingly in front of more than several amazed on lookers!

With the laid back atmosphere biting, it took some time to find marshalls on occasions! Most were to be found sitting outside no doubt discussing knitting patterns or exchanging recipes!! No matter, we herded them back inside to conduct their slotcar duties if somewhat reluctantly. Norm was once again on the ball and it was up to the rest of us to take the race to him, but behind the scenes, Paul was putting in some scorching heats. Norms best lap of 11.2 secs was a cracker for a rally car but the math was to be in the best heat averages and sub twelves were going to be needed to guarantee a place near the top of the pile.

My last heat saw me contending against three guns and it was all I could do to stay in front, but it did cause us all to put in some quick laps and even more importantly, some good heat averages. Next heat, Pete, Paul and Greig did the synchronised lapping bit for about five gruelling laps. Eventually it proved too much for Greig and a forced error left Paul and Pete to tear off into the distance. Finally, heat sixteen was run and in time honoured fashion the computer told the story

Race 2			Rally, motor class B			15 laps	

1.						Paul			12’ 08”
2.						Phil			12’ 16”
3.			1.			Peter S			12’ 34”
4.						Norm
5.						Chris
6.						Glen
7.						Eggy
8.						Alan
9.			2.			Greig
10.			3.			Jordan
11.			4.			Ken
12.			5.			Jay
13.			6.			Bob
14.			7.			Gary
15.			8.			Peter J
16.			9.			Rhys

Last event for the evening was the Classic Mustang Trophy Class. Open to models of Mustangs from inception to 1973. Newcomers at the start of the series were the Pioneer models, very much on a par with Scalextric models and a good showing in the field. There was also a Revell/Monogram entry and my model was the Revell body with an SCX motor and a PCB chassis. With one racer departed, the last event got under way

All the surprises had been used up on the previous two events and as the evening wore on some racers mellowed a bit and others accepted their fate as support racers. Lap times weren’t really that much of an improvement and I suspect most had learned there was no point being in a hurry in the tighter sections.

Just as we were lapsing into a somnolent torpor it all came unstuck in the top squeeze section. The racers in question managed a four car deslot on the opening lap prompting a restart of the heat!! With the computer reset, off they went again, this time common sense ruled and although the potential for another debacle was there, it all went smoothly and the next series of heats ticked by. But I suspect the crash was all too much for one model. Chris’s Mustang was way off its original pace and Chris struggled with a sick car to the end of the event.

Race 3			Classic Mustangs			15 laps

1.						Norm			12’ 28”
2.						Paul			12’ 30”
3.			1.			Peter S			12’ 48”
4.						Phil
5.						Glen
6.						Eggy
7.			2.			Greig
8.			3.			Ken
9.			4.			Gary
10.						Chris
11.			5.			Peter J
12.			6.			Rhys
13.						Alan
14.			7.			Jay
15.			8.			Bob

The ‘Sunny Boys had made a grand entry to the start of the afternoon, setting up camp a way off the main pit area. Distinctive notices adorned their race boxes warning all else to keep clear!! Unfortunately, their stratagem became seriously flawed when first one team member, then the next drove through the third member on more than one occasion!! Back to the drawing board boys?

Once again a great afternoon of racing and an observation would be that the time differential between racers in the final results have been becoming steadily closer and closer. And a welcome to new racer Jay who put in some good heats for a first timer! It looks very much like Peter Shannon will have a glorious but short career in Group B. Make the most of it Peter, it's tough up stairs in the men’s room.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!