A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

'Club' racing.

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

'Club' racing.

Post by wixwacing »

G'day guys

I recieved an email today regarding a track or possible race on a new track in the area as part of our regular season. It concerns me a little that there is a suggestion of possible queue jumping as far as racing on members tracks is concerned. The track in question is owned by a keen respected slotcar enthusiast and as far as my contact is concerned a genuinely nice guy, but, in view of the fact that we have reached saturation as far as tracks to race at is concerned, it would mean dropping one of the existing tracks we already use.

I know we have a possible of two tracks being decommissioned for maintenance and other reasons and, as a short term fix, it would fix a hole in the rosta. but that hole may be a lot smaller than we think. What compounds the problem is that the track owner does not, and never has raced with either the Q32 or Slotcar Legends group!! It is some while ago now that we rejected the use of a perfectly adequate and useable four lane board track located at Kenmore simply because the owners weren't regular racers. They had been, for some time!, off and on, but had lapsed for a couple of years.

When the two members tracks in question are repaired there will once again be no space available in the regular rosta. The scenario would be that a regular racer and track owner would be dropped for an outsider's track. In the future, both near and distant, there are a potential THREE! tracks possibly coming on line. I am told that Glen's track seems to be making progress, Norm has a track coming in the near future and there is a potential new venue on the Northside the property of a newcomer to the group!! although this is conjecture at this stage. But that potentially gives us nine tracks owned by regular racers for possible use!! Legends and Q32 both race a six meeting season, the rest of the maths is simple. So who do we tell, 'sorry mate, but you're dropped from this season'? Knowing all the track owners, I would find that would be a hard choice!.

From the pictures, the track seems to be adequate but it is possibly more suited to womp and plafit racing. There was a three lane track previously at this venue and the owner invited us to race here on a weekday evening. I turned up along with a good few and was perplexed and disappointed when the owner and the couple of his follow racing mates disappeared for the evening and left us to it!! Only to return for the closing minutes of the evening. The other problem was that the race management system could only cope with bracket racing which is an old outmoded form of 1/24th racing local 1/32 racing left behind many years ago.

In conclusion, I can only speak on behalf of Slotcar Legends, but if Q32 want to factor this track into their rosta, fine. But don't make it on a regular Saturday race night. Like before, leave it for a week night.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Perro
Team Strategist

Re: 'Club' racing.

Post by Perro »

Hmmmm, so that's a no?
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

When the two members tracks in question are repaired there will once again be no space available in the regular rosta. The scenario would be that a regular racer and track owner would be dropped for an outsider's track. In the future, both near and distant, there are a potential THREE! tracks possibly coming on line. I am told that Glen's track seems to be making progress, Norm has a track coming in the near future and there is a potential new venue on the Northside the property of a newcomer to the group!! although this is conjecture at this stage. But that potentially gives us nine tracks owned by regular racers for possible use!! Legends and Q32 both race a six meeting season, the rest of the maths is simple. So who do we tell, 'sorry mate, but you're dropped from this season'? Knowing all the track owners, I would find that would be a hard choice!.
The reality is there will be more racks coming on line, mine included and you can 100% bank on that. So one way or another we will need to expand or extend the race seasons to accommodate the extra tracks. My track alone makes it seven tracks and seven into six just doesn't go. And let's not forget the Gold Coast centre either. Great tracks like those that Jamie and Ron have built are hard to ignore and why should they be either. We need to rethink how we go racing or people will be left out (track owners) and feelings hurt. With regards to Andrew's track at Narangba if it wasn't to be used or included into a race roster as such for regular points racing there is still the odd month with 5 Saturdays in it to allow for his track to be utilised by the 1/32 groups.
From the pictures, the track seems to be adequate but it is possibly more suited to womp and plafit racing.
I think that calling the track as "adequate" is showing a major bias in your thoughts about the track. See the picture below if that is "adequate" then what are some of the tracks we run on if that is only "adequate"?

There was a three lane track previously at this venue and the owner invited us to race here on a weekday evening. I turned up along with a good few and was perplexed and disappointed when the owner and the couple of his follow racing mates disappeared for the evening and left us to it!! Only to return for the closing minutes of the evening.
In defence of the track owner and his fellow racers that night, we had been invited to use the track and facilities that night as we have been once again but we as a race group choose the night we ran on which happened to be the same night as his daughters 21st and therefore those guys were heading off for that function and that is why they did not race with us. In fact they wanted to stay and race rather than go to the function and returned when they could which was when we had just finished racing ourselves.

As far as Q32 goes no current track will be bumped or queue jumped to include or utilise Andrew's track in some way or another but a track of that quality should not be out and out ignored by a group of mad keen slot car enthusiasts just because one guy doesn't like it.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Perro wrote:The reality is there will be more racks coming on line, mine included and you can 100% bank on that. So one way or another we will need to expand or extend the race seasons to accommodate the extra tracks. My track alone makes it seven tracks and seven into six just doesn't go. And let's not forget the Gold Coast centre either. Great tracks like those that Jamie and Ron have built are hard to ignore and why should they be either. We need to rethink how we go racing or people will be left out (track owners) and feelings hurt. With regards to Andrew's track at Narangba if it wasn't to be used or included into a race roster as such for regular points racing there is still the odd month with 5 Saturdays in it to allow for his track to be utilised by the 1/32 groups.
The more diversity the better, with Glen & Norms track coming soon and don`t forget Justin has a track in the planning also, so i don`t think too much variety is a bad thing.
There are 12 months a year which is at least 12 meeting for each Legends & Q32 thats 24 race saturdays, & as stated there are some months with more than 4 weekends , also lets not forget when friday night `happy hrs` were common for a period when there were less tracks to go to,non points race nights to fill in gaps in long months & at the end or start of the `points` season.
Also remember that after the April 17th meeting here at my place , my track will be out of the roster for at least 6-8 months & maybe even 12mths & by then hopefully the back shed and the new track will be completed, if i am lucky maybe for the start of next years season , but i am not banking on it with a new addition to the family.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche