The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Q32 / SlotcarLegends End of Season

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Q32 / SlotcarLegends End of Season

Post by wixwacing »

The end of another slotcar season and what better way to celebrate than………… by racing slotcars……..Yep! certain folks can’t seem to get enough! But not enough is the right royal recipe to draw the crowds to the end of season slotfest and general shindig. So, with no further ado, lets look at what the guys get up to!! A normal, harmless, family oriented bunch of young at hearts with toy cars as a common theme. Normal?? Harmless!!?? I think not!! Excuse me for shattering the illusion, but the inner workings of the Q32 / Slotcar Legends members minds is far from normal and certainly more than harmless.

Jordan, the Barbeque's outside!!

The 12th of December 2009 will go down as a milestone in local slotcar folk lore. The day started well enough with a contingent turning up for the lunchtime barbecue at Therese and Jordans home. After a heart meal the days entertainment was begun. First class up was Group B rally for pre 84 models. A good selection of models as was intended and plenty of scope to run something out of the ordinary. Noticeable entrants were a couple of SCX Porsche 959’s which could well be lucky on the tortuous infield of the track. A couple of Spirit Peugeot 206’s and a smattering of other SCX cars to be joined by a Fly Lancia and Renault 5.

Then, just before the racing started, what can only be described as a ‘cloud’ of people…… in Jacaranda tinted shirts, appeared from the undergrowth and proceeded to monster the proceedings. Yes, the worm(s) had turned and the previously much maligned Sunshine boys appeared in team colours and strategised in full view of the gathered masses!! It could well have struck fear into lesser people but the manifestation was greeted with a cool, calm and collected response…… then!....... the heckling started, and it was to set the trend for a few races to come.

The Sunshine Boys.... Threat or Carnival act???

With two Sunshiners in the first heat, they ganged up and monstered the early events. The larger of the two went ahead and left his team mate to sort his way through the remainder of the field especially in the tight sections, as if he was ‘clearing’ the way for his partner. Unhindered, They went on to clean up the heat. Weapon of choice being a Teamslot Lancia Stratos. But there was some clear air. Kev took out heat four in a steady drive and I managed a second behind him in a hitherto untested Talbot Sunbeam.

The Jacaranda Juggernaut lost momentum in some subsequent heats and Big John the Eggmeister struggled badly and just for a spit second I thought I saw a chink in the lavender armour. But they rallied round and stood their ground for the remaining heats. Heats that the west side boys took advantage of. When the computer spewed forth its good news, it was partly bad news for the Sunshine boys. First home was Justin (Westside) with an 037 Lancia, next was Kev (Redcliffe) with a reliable Peugeot 205, and third was Glen (Sunny boys) with a 959 Porsche.A couple of the guys were due to leave, Ken was off to an 18th birthday party, funny, he looked pretty sober for someone who had already been to 17 birthday parties that day!! And other commitments called some. The presentations for the previous season were made and the numbers juggled for next season. Third place for Group B went to Ken who had performed surprising well on some occasions. and surprisingly badly on others! Second home was fairly newcomer Peter S. who certainly looks set for success next season, in spite of his allegiances!! And first home for Group B was a well deserved win for Kev. Moby picked up the fund raising raffle prize kindly donated by Q32 coordinator Glen.

Bob

Ken

Peter

Kev

Glen

Norm

Phil

Top Contender ???

Group A or open as I like to call it was also hotly contended. Third spot going to a consistent Glen who missed some meetings. Second place went to Norm who had battled hard all season and Yours truly managed to sneak in front of Norm and grab first place. A result for consistency more than talent!.

With the break over and a few cheerios inside everybody, the next event was resumed. This was to be Q32 Classic GP, for open wheelers from the fifties and early sixties. If you weren’t racing a Cartrix 196 then you could forgive yourself for thinking it was not your day. Norm lurched to the front and slowly pulled out an unassailable lead. I lost count of how many times he passed me but I know I and a few others were still circulating well after he’d finished!

A following heat saw another chink appear in the Sunshine boys armour. With two in the heat, team orders were forgotten and it was full on. Finishing millimetres apart they forgot themselves for a minute and directed their banter towards each other. It took the third member to remind them of where they were and an uneasy tranquillity resumed. The rest of us were perpetually hammered by Norm as he laid it on thick and it was nice to just finish most heats! It was now time for new(ish) member Pete, who had been beguiled into a Jacaranda shirt, to learn a new lesson in local racing. Whilst on the line waiting for the heat to start, the lights were all red when some unscrupulous miscreant shouted GO! rather loudly!!!??? Pete tore off the line only to jump the start and had to do a laps penance before he was up with the tail enders. What was lesson two to be? Mmmmmm? A couple of heats later he was fighting for survival after a couple of impromptu deslots left him down the pack. It was about this time Glen decided to give us a couple of verses of his favourite song in fluent Spanish! As far as I can roughly translate he sang ‘Holiday, Holiday, my mother-in-law has one leg!!’ ???

Once again, racing desisted and those who were paying attention got to find out the results. Top three were 1. Norm (by a mile), 2. Paul, westies 3. Eggy, Sunshine boys!!

Next up was Group five Sports sedans, and as the Sunshine boys started to loose their grip on the situation, the track voltage was rather unfairly, I thought, brought into disrepute! The fact that we all race the same voltage had little bearing on the debate. No matter, Jordan stood his ground, and probably because he had the barbeque tongs to hand, all turmoil subsided. Racing got underway and chaos returned to the tortuous circuit. Onlookers may well have been forgiven for thinking that it was amateur’s night as the marshalls were working overtime. The speed of the cars was disproportionately matched to the track with the faster cars catching the tail enders a lot more quickly. The Sunshine boys, especially the bigger of the three, fared badly here and the firm base on which they started was now crumbling under foot.

One consolation was that there were some very nice models in this heat. I had entered my otherwise un tested De Tomaso which pulled up fifth, with original tyres. The BMW M1 contingent was in there and mixing it with the best and a good show of some nice Carrera models too made up a diverse field. Newcomer Rhys chose to run a new Moffat Brut 33 Mustang. A couple of Lancia 037’s were going to make a lot of the running and by the end most of us had learnt what NOT to bring next time!! It was also about this time that the Sunshine boys were seen in debate outside the front of the building, some eventually returning ‘sans’ shirt, what did this mean?? Were they in crisis?? Who knows!! Results for the Gp 5’s was 1st Norm, Cliffers 2nd. Paul, Westies, 3rd Kev, Cliffers. Not a Sunshine boy in sight??

Obviously their best shirts are in the wash!!

Time out was called and the host summoned us out to the barbeque once again to delight in steak and trimmings followed by home made snags. Before racing resumed we had got stuck onto the freshly ground coffee and cake and cream and all manner of waist line excesses before we realised there were still a couple of classes to run on this festive occasion! It took some time before we could muster all the drivers and we were in acute shortage of marshalls for the first heat, but not being a points event most had become very laid back by this time in the evening!! Last official event was ‘Yank Tanks’. This was to be anything of huge proportions from the North American continent.

Peter, back seat driving!!

Possibly a couple of years back we may have been hard pressed to gather an impressive field, but recent times have been kind to us and there was no shortage of candidates. Some had bought models on the way to the track, others had old favourites, well fettled and ready to race. Others, myself included, just let their intuition be their guide and voila! A field of supersized 1/32 slotcars!! Mr Carrera, Mr Scalextric and Mr Revell were all well represented in this event and some pre race testing showed up some good and some not so good models. I was quite surprised by the lack of chrome bits on the track after the race which had the three Talladegas in it!!

Maybe the break had worked or maybe the team talk prior to the event did the trick? Whatever it was, the Sunshine Boys had their act together and scorched in a ‘one, two’ for the first heat! A little later saw all three team members in the heat and Justin (Western Suburbs) racing an ailing Carrera GTO with massive guide problems. Would they race to team orders, would they line up Indian style and cross the line in formation, a bit like the GT40’s at Le Mans?? What was gong to happen? It was probably inevitable that Jacaranda would be the colour of victory, but would Justin split the pack?, it wasn’t looking good for the rest of us! The race started well but there was team conflict in the early stages. A couple (understated) of deslots and some argy bargy left the Sunshine Boys verbally setting about each other (and everybody else). Track turmoil turned into disaster when the marshall factor kicked in and the Jacaranda juggernaut became total chaos, leaving a crippled Pontiac outsider to split the pack at second position! Well done Justin!

Glen, trying to distract the opposition

So that was it, end of the evening and a sleek, well oiled machine almost reminiscent of the Alfred Neubauer ‘Silver Arrows’ days succumbed to two or three on-track disasters and, unable to regroup, the rest of the pack took control. Will we see the Sunshine Boys again?? Will Jacaranda be the new colour of victory?? Will Peter overcome his jump start nightmares?? Will John ever forgive the marshalls or will Glen manage to regroup them and face the onslaught in unity once again !!!??

Say Tuned for 2010

If you have been following the exploits of Q32, the Queensland 1/32 slotracing group, and feel you have the temperament to contribute to or be the focal point of the evenings entertainment, then don’t hesitate to PM me this board for the fabulous details

Fancy dress was optional!

Once again, many thanks to Therese and Jordan for a superb spread and many thanks to Bob who kept scores all year and organised the trophies at the end.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Q32 / SlotcarLegends End of Season

Post by kenneth »

Brilliant report Phil.
Thanks to all who turned up - it was a great day.
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you all. :grin:
Looking forward to the first race day of 2010.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

Phil

As usual a cracker of a report. I have not laughed as much since the meeting. Well done and a big thank you for the reports throughout the year. It takes a lot to write the report and your efforts this year have been outstanding.

I would like also to take this oppurtunity to tell everyone about out new book.

"Scalding the slots with the Sunshine Boys"

If you would like to purchase a copy or attend our slot car boot camp let me know.

Regards
Eggmeister
Buzzard
Telemetry

Post by Buzzard »

Another great report Phil, again with your very individual slant on procedings... :roll: Not that it is wrong.... :wink: in fact pretty damn accurate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To all, stay happy & safe till the next time we race......Then it is again every team for itself :evil: :twisted: .

Cheers
Kev.(Cliffy)
The Goon
Spectator

Post by The Goon »

Great report phil as always.

Everybody have a safe and cheerfull christmas and santa brings you lots of slot cars.

As for the Where The Sun Don't Sunshine Boys boot camp and booklet ddoes i wouldn't be bothered with. The Westside Boys are far to serperior just come and ask us as we will give tips for nothing.

As the famous saying goes slot cars are the winner on the night.
John Forson
Spectator

Post by John Forson »

Hi Phil,

As always, another great article, very well put together and entertaining. Pitty about the content of the photos...........

Thanks to you and the boys for a great 2009 of slot car racing and friendship and look forward to more of the same in 2010.

Merry Christmas to you and all the boy racers in Q32 and Legends and hope you have a safe and happy holiday season.

Cheers

John