The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

SEQSCC (belated) September meeting

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

SEQSCC (belated) September meeting

Post by wixwacing »

The SEQSCC finally rallied round for the previously blacked out meeting and although down slightly on numbers, the evenings entertainment had been carefully chosen to maximize the quality and performance of the models to be raced. As always, Mark had gone to great lengths to compose a well balanced format and procure some extremely desirable models for our delectation and sport! So, moving on…….!

The first event was called and this involved the extremely large Maserati MC12’s. A demanding class on the 70 metre plus Graceville raceway but still do-able! Tim set his stamp on the first event clearly lapping beyond the rests means and the second heat was snatched from me by a couple of careless deslots and some marshalls who were present in body only??

Race One 		Maserati MC12	  	15 laps
Heat 1:			Best Lap
Ist:     		Tim  		30.82
2nd:   			Mark.G 		32.53
3rd:   			Peter 		33.82
4th     		Kym  		46.03  (1st race at the SEQSCC)

Heat 2:
Ist:  			Sean   		26.77
2nd: 			Phil     	25.80
3rd:  			Julian   	28.99
4th   			Bill      	27.98

Warning! Old codgers race here at night!

Next up by contrast were the miniscule Fiat Abarths. A deceptively handy tool if the magnet is set to the right spot. Fortunately, mine had been to Graceville previously and was raring to go. I managed to win my heat in a comfy fashion and passing the model on to newcomer Kym, he managed a convincing win for his debut race night!
Race Two   		Fiat Abarth  		5 laps
Heat 1:
Ist:    		Phil      	28.99
2nd:  			Sean    	30.76
3rd:   			Peter    	31.42
4th    			Tim      	33.85

Heat 2:
Ist:    		Kym       	31.89
2nd:  			Julian      	33.78
3rd:   			Bill         	35.54
4th    			Mark.G   	25.99

Kym keeps his cards, and his controller, close to his chest.

Popular Scaley Ferrari P4’s were next and once again I expected not to be second in this event but a persistent slowing of the model caused me to remove it from the track. Closer inspection showed there to be a long thread of cotton around the pinion. Was this some devious trick of an erstwhile competitor or a by product of the managements pre race track preparation?? Mmmmmmmm??

Mick looking guilty! He didn’t want to race??

Race Three  		Ferrari P4  		10 laps
Heat 1:
Ist:    		Sean       	27.17
2nd: 			Peter       	26.93
3rd:   			Phil         	23.59 
4th    			Mark. G   	23.78

Heat 2:
Ist:   			Julian     	26.50
2nd: 			Tim        	31.60
3rd:  			Kym      	28.97
4th   			Bill        	32.18
Next up was the ultimate slotcar test of true driver ability. The SEQSCC Challenge. This month it was to be Scaley Datsun 260Z’s. The lap times show this was no cake walk and I can only liken it to the Monty Carlo rally Alpine section! All revs and no grip. I think the thirty year old tyres had something to do with that. There was counseling on hand for those coming off the track!

Race Four - The SEQSCC Challenge - Datsun 260z - 5 Laps

Heat 1:
Ist:    		Tim         	61.73
2nd:  			Sean      	49.98
3rd:   			Mark.G   	55.71
4th   			Kym       	78.94

Heat 2:
Ist:    		Phil      	48.40
2nd:  			Julian    	46.73
3rd:   			Bill       	46.42
4th    			Peter    	64.42
Next up was one of my favourite classes and being a favourite it goes without saying that my model was pre prepared for this and many previous events. Against a field of predominantly Carrera 'twin magnet' models, my brave little SCX car battled its way around the track, almost unstoppable, almost. Part way through the race I happened to notice certain nefarious beings adhering lane marker stickers to the slot on the self same lane I was racing. At the close om my class, I removed my model and found a large blue lane sticker stuck to the braids. Fortunately, the car had managed to keep going. I had put the few stuttery moments during the race down to poor fuel!

Race Five  		Nascars  		25 laps

Heat 1:
Ist:   			Phil        	21.56 (Race Tuned SCX!)
2nd: 			Sean      	25.41 (Carrera)
3rd:  			Bill         	29.46  (Carrera and whinging the whole way)
4th   			Adrian    	31.50 (Carrera)

Heat 2:
Ist:   			Tim         	27.10
2nd: 			Julian      	28.16
3rd:  			Peter      	29.28
4th   			Mark.G   	30.17
Last up was the SEQSCC One lap dash. The drivers are cycled across the lanes as the four chosen models stay where they are and it is up to the driver to race each model as best he can. Needless to say, a deslot pretty well puts paid to your chances as even on this circuit there is at least one smart a*** who gets a clear round! The novelty here too is that the magnets have been moved to a central position to give the cars a different but still very driveable handling characteristic.

Is this a dagger I see before me!? Was this an attempt at sabotage by some nefarious person?

[pre]Race Six - Maserati Cambiocorsa - One lap bracket race

Adrian 3 wins
Tim 6 wins
Mark G 1 win
Julian 2 wins
Peter 1 win
Mark C 1 win[/pre]

The SEQSCC gratefully accepts a cheque from the Kenmore Junior Rugby Team's Mark Gardener after a successful end of season break up party was held at the track

If you would like to join in the frivolity in Brisbane’s inner western suburbs, then please contact me here or email me at pwix@yahoo.com

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!