The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Results - Legends - 2nd half - 2009

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Results - Legends - 2nd half - 2009

Post by wixwacing »

Legends first round for second half 09 complete with the unknown quantity was held at Bob and Julies last Saturday. Healthy classes and a healthy turnout ensured there was going to be the usual Legends turmoil and controversy. Folks started arriving after 2.00 pm with a pretty sick Norm being one of the first there. A condition which deteriorated over the course of the evening!! No matter whilst he was healthy he managed to give us all a run for our money!!

With the thermometer dropping steadily the racing eventually got underway. The first event as always was track owners choice and Bob made sure we started the season with a bang with any GT car being the model of choice. I fully expected to see a grid full of Fly Porsche GT1’s but it wasn’t to be. The biggest surprise was in heat two when Norm’s SCX Morgan Aero 8 took line honours in a good field.

A couple of heats later it was my turn to face the Morgan. Not only was this model quick, it was very hard to catch! I spent more than several laps trying to keep up and it was only a deslot on Norm’s behalf that allowed me to go ahead and leave Norm all the work to do. After twenty five laps I finished in front with my GT1 but Norm was on the same lap not far behind.

The Morgan wasn’t the only surprise this night, Track owner Bob proved that he was going to be hard to out run on his own track, even if he did race a different model each heat. But the most amazing event of all was saved for arch rivals Egg and Ken. Some few months ago now Eggy protested that he lost the rear wing of a favourite Ferrari 430 at this venue. In true Legends style he was derided at the very mention of the event. Some said he’d been on the magic mushrooms and others though he was on a caffeine high. Some even said he never arrived with it and he must have been dreaming!!

Egg’s Ferrari with wing!

Well, part way through the GT event Ken casually called from his marshalling position at the end of the main straight that there was a wing wedged half under the side of the main straight and an adjacent bend and on its removal all was revealed. The missing wing that was the source of much derision and mirth!! Several red faces graced the track perimeter but Ken was bound to be metaphorically chaired shoulder high round the room by the Eggmeister!! But how long would it last! Mmmm?

Eventually the event finished and as sure as death and taxes, the computer caused some to cheer and some to scowl. And this was the reason why :
Race 1		Track owner’s choice		GT		25 laps

Pos.			Gp B.			Driver		Race time
1.						Paul			13’ 06.662”
2.						Phil			13’ 14.383”
3.						Alan			13’ 52.343”
4.			1.			Bob
5.						Eggy
6.						Norm
7.			3.			Ken
8.			4.			Peter
Because the first race was over fairly quickly and two more racers were on their way we decided to hold an impromptu event over 15 laps to fill in a bit of time. After much deliberation and a series of knock backs because of lack of models it was decided to race V8 Supercars. These were supplied from Bob’s vast stock pile and four models were left on fixed lanes and the drivers drove each model as they came to it.

This turned out to be a bit of a novelty as Bob had indicated that he wasn’t a fan of them and as each model was driven, so offers were made for them while the race was in progress. Cries of “Don’t crash that Ken, it’s mine” were heard across the track as the deals were done mid race! One thing’s for sure, I remember why we didn’t race these very often. It was an event of extreme marshalling and by the end of eight heats I’m sure I wasn’t the only one glad to see the back of them!

Next up was the set class. A good choice on my behalf and well worth the wait. LMP’s don’t get too much use either but when they do, its best on magnet track. Carnage and mayhem ensure this class ends with many a broken model and this evening wasn’t going to disappoint. It all started before the race did when new arrival Chris drove his Ninco Acura flat out into a deslotted model at the end of the straight. A quick body removal saw the lights fall out from the shell to be refitted another day. Biggest threat was going to be the Scaley and Fly Lolas, and they were!

Cadillac? Mmmm? I remember them!

Controversy soon ruled as a bona fide marshalling manoeuvre on my behalf caused Jordan to doubt my sex and ancestry but then it’s tough at the top! His highly collectable Joest Porsche was reslotted and life was good. After the pre race incident Chris decided to race a Scaley Porsche and did well with the model SOOB. Once again the Lolas tore off into the distance but they didn’t have it all their own way. I managed to claw back a couple of heats in the face of adversity. I was fielding an SCX Cadillac (remember them?) with a pro turbo motor. Not the quickest on the track but it cornered as if on rails!! Too quick in fact, it kept rolling the tyres off the wheels!!

Eggy and Paul went head to head in one heat and a forced error caused Paul to fall behind, but he clawed his way back to the fight and finished inches in front of Eggy at the final flag. Some good competition throughout saw some of the marshalls engrossed in the racing instead of watching their corner……Ken! During this event we were called away to a quality supper. This has to be one of the attractions of this venue and Bob and especially Julie laid on steak and salad, not to mention dessert!

Grub up!

Finally ten heats were run and once again the results were collated.
Race 2		LMP - ‘B’		25 laps

1.						Paul			11’ 21.954”
2.						Eggy			11’ 37.158”
3.			1.			Bob			12’ 13.036”
4.						Phil
5.			2.			Ken
6.			3.			Chris
7.						Norm
8.			4.			Jordan
9.						Alan
10.			5.			Peter
Last event for the night was the new trophy Class. This is for unmarked road going super cars. This also made people stop and think a bit and there was certainly diversity of the track. One of the nicest models in my view was Egg’s AUTOart Lamborghini Murcielago. This model is four wheel drive and is finished in the finest detail. Jordan braved the carnage with a beautiful Porsche Carrera and as a last minute choice I set up a Cartrix BMW Z3. A good model for the class was Alan’s choice of a Slot.it F40 with a Scalextric motor conversion to fit the motor class.

Peter, is a Pontiac REALLY a supercar??

Peter started the set with a very nice Audi R8 road care but found it hard going and changed to a Pontiac in the end?? A couple of Ford GT’s debuted but Paul’s model slowed noticeably as the heats advanced and he struggled to keep up. The heats were pretty furious and there were several model changes by a small collection of people!! Heat one saw Pete struggle with his Audi, eventually to come home ten laps behind the leaders.

Keep your eye on the littel red number at the far end!

As the cold bit in and tensions rose and patience frayed it was Eggy’s turn to be under pressure. Heckling from the marshalling positions saw him loose his cool which worked to my advantage. While he was racing AND dealing with the hecklers I pulled away and took my heat against him with my Cartrix BMW, Well done lads. It seems the miraculous finding of the Ferrari wing was all long forgotten by this point in the evening ……John?

Just look at the quality of the grid!

Eventually Alan proved victorious. Quietly driving and keeping his cool while all around were losing theirs! Joking aside, it was a great starter to yet another great class and it certainly bodes well for its board track debut. No doubt by the end of the series everybody will have their models buzzing. But for now it was the end of another great evening at Bob and Julie’s and the results seemed to be superfluous.

Event three			Road going Super cars			25 laps

1.						Alan			13’ 01.121”
2.						Phil			13’ 17.836”
3.			1.			Chris			13’ 19.997”
4.						Eggy
5.						Paul
6.						Norm
7.			2.			Bob
8.			3.			Jordan
9.			4.			Ken
10.			5.			Peter

It started to get really cold!

Yet another good round at a great venue and special thanks to Julie for all the hard work she put in that evening. It is greatly appreciated.
Next round will be a Q32 round so keep posted for more information, and I’ll see you there.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Re: Results - Legends - 2nd half - 2009

Post by Eggmeister »

Phil,

Another great report. Good to see the author in the photo's too. (Second from top, Man in the middle)

It was a cold night and the best part about it was when I found that fly porsche sitting at home the next day. I thought that I had left it on the roof when I drove down.

Thanks Ken for the wing. That's it no more.

REgards

Egg