The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

The Red Team, laid back and leisurely!

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

The Red Team, laid back and leisurely!

Post by wixwacing »

Yet once again the Red Team met for fun and frivolity of classic slotcar racing. On the unwritten agenda were such classes as Scaley F1, Touring Gars, GTO’s and a whole variety of models so often not seen on the track these days. Highly driveable models which most people overlook when packing their race box, But! Not the Red Team.

Special occasion was the inauguration of new member Julian into the hallowed halls of the sacred edifice known affectionately as ‘The Garage’ where the Red Team practice their time honoured slotcar rituals.

Proof I do occasionally win

As part and parcel new members are presented with their ‘badge of office’ in this case a flame red shirt emblazoned with the Red Team logo, carefully depicted as Scalextric track in the shape of a hand controller…..Very fitting.

After the induction it was time to do battle. The words F40 were heard to trip off someone’s tongue and no sooner said than there were a couple of classics on the tracks. The Scaley F40’s were a product of the fridge magnet era but it is surprising how well they drive on board with some well prepared tyres. The SCX F40’s too are a non magnet joy to drive in competition with their siblings.

To follow up it was time for a bit of Classic Touring car, this came in the shape of the SCX Volvo 850 and the Peugeot 406. Both good models which work well on a sweeping track. Both have an early version of a steel traction magnet, which, while better than the Scaley fridge magnets of the day, are not up to the strength of modern magnets. The SRS 2 chassis work well and the active steering contributes greatly to their stability.

Another popular class is the Scaley BTCC models. Once again, well behaved when driven inside their limitations. The best models probably being the Vectra and the Laguna ‘out of the box’

The Scaley F1 series from the 90’s is also a Red Team favourite and on this occasion Alan Jones was able to race himself!! A win – win situation!

As the evening progresses things become a little more avant guarde, to the point where certain members attempt to race without putting a car in their lane, still, it was a long night and there was a designated driver!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: The Red Team, laid back and leisurely!

Post by kenneth »

That bloke doesn`t look like superman - it may be red and blue, but i don`t see any underpants over his jeans at all !!
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: The Red Team, laid back and leisurely!

Post by wixwacing »

Jordan

We may look unassuming, but, EVERY member of the Red Team is a Superman!!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!