The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Results Q32 April Laguna Seeca

Local racing fixtures and results
Perro
Team Strategist

Results Q32 April Laguna Seeca

Post by Perro »

Q32 race group ventured to Bob's home in Strathpine where the sole plastic track on the race calender is located. The turn out was short a few of the regulars but the 11 who were able to make it had another night of high magnet mayhem and a lot of fun. The 3 classes selected complemented Bob's track perfectly so the scene was set for a night of high speed, high magnet action.

A long shot of Laguna Seeca with John (left) and Eggy(right)

Event 1. Classic Lemans sports cars roofed and unroofed.

This class is a crowd favourite being possibly the most popular of all the classes we run. The first heat started out being a Group B final with Eggy taking the honours in his 10 year old Fly Chevron which has many miles and numerous victories under its belt.

In heat 3 Bob driving a Scaley Ferrari 330 P4 raced the entire race side by side with Perro who was driving a Fly Porsche 908/3. Bob brought home the bacon and well done to him too. Bob being a B grader proved too much for Perro on this occasion. Bob was also in the toughest lane, the outside yellow mongrel lane but superior track knowledge helped and the heat was his.

Heat 4 saw Paul needing to pit to replace a wheel on his Fly GT40 but he still managed to win and set a cracking time to boot 6.364. The sign of a true champion.

Heat 5 was a historic occasion for Q32 with the inclusion of a Fly Ferrari 250LM for the first time ever. Eggy drove the gorgeous yellow car to its' maiden victory with a fastest time of 6.455.

Next heat saw Paul win again but this time he drove a Scaley Ferrari 330 P4 as did 2 other drivers and Alan drove his Fly 908/3 with his illegal aluminium wheels WITHOUT inserts. This marked another historic occasion for Q32 being the last time aluminium wheels are allowed to compete for points without inserts fitted to the wheels. Paul pulled out a 6.307 fastest so far.

Heat 7 was a fast one. Eggy in that damned Chevron, Norm in a Porsche 917, Perro in a red Fly Ferrari 250LM and I think John in a Fly Lola T70. Perro won but had to pull out a lap of 6.197 to beat the crew he was up against this time.

The heat of the night was heat 8. Ken, Paul, Bob and Peter raced almost side by side for the entire 25 laps and at the end all 4 drivers finished on the very same lap with Ken knocking off some big guns to take the victory. Very well driven Ken. The marshaling for this heat was just magnificent which means either things are on the improve in that area OR the 4 drivers who competed in this heat are also the worst marshals we have. I'll let you guys make the call on that one.

At the end of all heats the computer was consulted and the results were:

Perro 12.43
Eggy 12.53
Bob 13.08
John
Paul
Ken
Alan
Peter
Norm

Norm was unusually at the tail end but a few car issues caused him to suffer a few results he would rather forget. Paul too had similar problems but a fight back was on the cards.

Event 2. Modern Gt

Another popular class, Modern GT cars always produce very close racing with tight results on the leader boards. Heat 1 was hard fought and taken out by a newly arrived Justin aka Goon Boy. He drove a Fly Porsche GT1 in Faturbo livery and stamped his authority against some pretty tough opposition.

Heat 2 saw Ken launch a newly acquired Fly Spanish Venturi against Paul in a Scaley Viper, John in a Fly Porsche GT1 911 and Norm in a Fly Lister.

At this stage Justin Sweet turned up and a restart of the class was agreed upon. Perro took out Heat 1 driving a fly Porsche GT1 beating home Eggy by half of 1 straight who was driving a Scaley Aston Martin. Good racing.

Heat 2 had Paul drive a Scaley Maserati MC12 home to 1st place. It's not very often the big Scaley car achieves a victory but a car set up by Mr Stevens and in his capable hands, miracles can happen. Norm had another frustrating run with a wayward Fly Lister this time.

Heat 3 saw Goony lead for most of the way until Perro got past in a Fly Viper to pip him at the post. eggy drove an Aston and Peter was in a Scaley Porsche GT3.

Paul won heat 4 and again in the Maserati to prove it was no fluke from heat 2. Heat 5 and this time Goon Boy reversed the results on Perro. Both drove Fly GT1's but from different years. Pete was very fast in his Scaley Porsche and Justin trotted out a Scaley Ford GT in orange paint. Nice looking car that one.

Paul in a new car for Heat 6 with a Scaley Ford GT Club Car won and with a shrug of his shoulders he more or less said that it was easy. A SCX FXX was on track but I can not recall who was driving the car but it sure looked good.

Heat 7 and this time it was The Goon that pulled out a new car and took the heat win with a Scaley GT3 over John Fly GT1, Peter Scaley GT3 and Justin in Scaley Ford GT.

Heat 8 and Paul proved to be best once again from a very close finishing Eggy with Ken on his tail and Alan close behind in 4th.

The Goon beat home Justin in the next heat over John and Bob. Bob in a brave move chose a Ninco McLaren F1 GTR.

Here we see the cars lined up on the grid with John waving them off in a way that only John knows how.

Last heat went to Bob and in a Fly Saleen. Yes you read that right. A Saleen! from Justin in the GT Ford. Good drive Bob.

And the winner is:

Paul 12.03
Mr Goon 12.27
Perro 12.37
Eggy
Justin (exceptional drive Sweety)
Peter (well done Pete)
Ken
Alan
John
Bob
Norm (when are we going back to wood!)

Next up was everyones favourite. DINNER! And once again Bob and Julie's went over the top and produced a great feed for everyone. Thanks so much yet again, your efforts are greatly appreciated by everyone who turns up to one of your events.

A birds eye view of one of Julie's famous sausage sandwiches about to go down big time in the steel trap hands of Eggy.

Event 3. LMP

If the first two classes weren't fast enough then LMP was sure to test the reflexes. I think our fastest class?

Heat 1 and Paul set the pace for what was to come. Please have mercy on us Mr Stevens. Paul and his Fly Lola were unbeatable.

Heat 2 Perro with a Spirit Reynard narrowly beat Eggy in a Scaley MG Lola. Norm finally hit the track with a car that was up to his skills with a mat black Fly Lola.

Heat 3 and Ken had another win over John, Peter and Alan aka Camalco.

In Heat 4 while racing for 1st place with Eggy, Perro lost a wheel leaving it up to Eggbert to take the accolades. Eggy cut a 6.213 lap.

Heat 5 was a cracker. Bob and Ken showed that B grade can be as tough as their A grade bretheren with a great close race with plenty of side by side lapping for much of the race and Ken got the bubbly this time over Bob by a mere 0.5 metres after 25 laps.

Heat 6 and what a race. Eggy in his MG Lola up against Paul in his Fly. For 23 of the 25 laps the cars were literally only a hankerchief apart until Paul broke Eggy's will and off came the big fella. Amazingly close and a pleasure to witness. Fastest laps Paul 6.142, Eggy 6.167.

Not to be trumped Goon Boy hits the track in heat 7 wins the heat and with a fast lap of 6.128. Fastest of the night,....................so far.

Suddenly the actual race results took a back seat to who could pull the fastest lap. Heat 8 Paul 5.637. It goes without saying, he won the heat too.

Perro responded in the next heat but all of a sudden 5.742 wasn't good enough but took the heat win all the same.

Just to rub the proverbial salt into the already gaping wounds he had already inflicted upon us all Paul trotted out a Scaley Lister of all things and won using it. The nerve of the guy! Camalco followed him home in a Porsche LMP either a Scaley or a Carrera fitted with the obligatory aluminium wheels without centres of course.

At the end the computer spat out the enevitable:

Paul 11.14 (dominant)
Perro 11.30 (handsome)
Eggy 11.38 (a joke)
Goon Boy
Norm (back up where he belongs)
Ken (great drive)
Bob (nicely done Mr Seeney)
John (curse those Lolas)
Alan
Justin
Peter

From closest to camera, Alan (Camalco), Paul, Ken, Norm

This time left to right, Norm, Ken, Paul and Camalco not even racing cars just standing there with a squadron of miniature planes dive bombing them while their backs are turned. WAKE UP YOU BUFFOONS! They are behind you.

The Q32 monarch and thorough gentleman Terry at left with John wondering how to rig the computer to register that he won something, anything!

Eggy with wind. You don't believe me? This panel is scratch and smell. Go on I dare you.

Track owner and great host, Bob.

Thanks to everyone who turned up and made the night as good as it was. See you all at Alan's next week.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Results Q32 April Laguna Seeca

Post by kenneth »

After reading that - i really feel like i missed out :( on a great night of magnetic madness.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Excellent report Glen

It must be said that our local racers have the greatest diversity of models you're likely to see on a track anywhere!!

One thing concerns me, there seem to be a lot of pictures of chaps with hands on their hips?

Well done guys, see you at Al's

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

wixwacing wrote:Excellent report Glen

It must be said that our local racers have the greatest diversity of models you're likely to see on a track anywhere!!

One thing concerns me, there seem to be a lot of pictures of chaps with hands on their hips?

Well done guys, see you at Al's
It just means the driving was of such excellent standards that there was no need to marshal anything.

Hah!
The Racer Administrator