The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slotcar Legends March Round - Boondall

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slotcar Legends March Round - Boondall

Post by wixwacing »

I don’t know if I have mentioned this before, but slotracing just doesn’t get any better, and that’s not the beer talking, either! I have come to the conclusion that, in spite of having some of the best tracks to race on and in spite of having some of the best models EVER to race, it still just gets better. And I think for the first time I understand why! As far as Q32 and Slotcar Legends are concerned, we have the BEST bunch of racers I have ever had the pleasure to share a track with!! A good honest bunch of fun loving slot racers who are out to enjoy themselves. Make no mistake, there are a few of us that take it a bit more seriously than others, but when it comes to the finishing flag the magnanimity is universal! From the hardest tryer to the fastest driver, we all find time for each other and this outpouring of respect and celebration is the result of yet another great meeting.

So what caused this outburst of kudos. ‘What’s he on? Can I have some’ I hear you say! Well, I suspect that you’ll just have to wonder! This last Saturday there was a gathering of fourteen souls for the March round of the ‘Slotcar Legends’ racing group. Three great classes and six hours of slotfest and kangaroo burgers! Not to mention copious quantities of Grappa for some at least, (Suit you sir!). Norm started proceedings with a blinder of a headache but I hope I’m right in saying the evening’s proceedings alleviated it a little. I bet you’re wondering how things went. Well, they went like this.

The afternoon started well at not long before 2.00pm with a handful of stalwarts already on the track for practice and setup. The classes for this meeting were to be Can Am, DTM and Historic GP up to 1962. Three carefully chosen classes for the tortuous and constricted corners of Jordan’s four lane circuit. Also new to the event was a range of ‘Racingline’ tyres. Jordan has availed himself of a home moulding kit and has produced some of the more popular tyres for 1/32 RTR racing models.

By little after four we had accrued twelve racers and the first competition was posted. This was Can Am. ly suggested for the MG Vanquish owners it was decided to run straight 1/32 models as there weren’t quite enough models for a field. I had researched the Can Am qualifying models and it appears there were an awful lot of models which qualified. It appears Can Am was a sort of ‘open’ class for sports cars back in the sixties and by the time 1973 came around, just about every supercar had tried it in one form or another. Needless to say, our entry field reflected that diversity. Popular models were the Porsche 917/10’s and 908’s, Lolas and Ferraris.

The speed element ensure the marshalls were kept busy and fortunes waxed and waned. Norm’s metallic red Porsche 908 was proving hard to catch by most while Glen was feeling comfortable with a 917. Other racers had chosen models which should have been fettled a bit before racing and the tight corners were proving a hazard to them. It was pleasing to see a couple of very nice Chaparrals in the fray and not too dusty either. With a good bunch to marshall things went fairly smoothly and the final results showed how close the competition really was!

It has to be said that once again Ken was driving exceptionally well and he managed a fourth spot and first Group B driver home. Newcomer Grieg too was consistent and on more than one occasion I had to bite my lip whilst waiting for an overtaking moment which almost never materialised.

Event 1		Can Am ’66 - ’73 	30 laps

Position		group B		Driver		Time

1.						Glen			11’ 23.946”
2.						Norm			11’ 27.849”
3.						Phil			11’ 28.896
4.			Ken
5.						Kev
6.						Paul
7.			Grieg	
8.			Peter
9.						Alan
10.			Jordan
11.			Eggy
12.						Bob

Next event was the set class. This was for DTM models with 18,000 rpm rated motors. By this time Justin and Sweety had turned up and the entry list burgeoned. I took a couple of laps off the race time and we were ready to do it. Once again a good selection of models here with the Scaley DTM’s making very good and very quiet progress. Grieg had some last minute struggles with his Carrera model but had it working by the latter heats.

One of the earliest heats saw Ken, Justin, Kev and Sweety line up for their contest. It was an absolute debacle with Sweety being the man behind the mess. I had it on good Authority that he only completed one lap of that heat without deslotting. The marshalls had to turn their skills up another notch as the mobile chicane let himself be known to all other track users. Eventually the heat was over and the marshalls were stood down! Later heats saw Jordon putting in some exceptional times. All was revealed when it was exposed that Justin had been racing for him while he was on mess duties!

While all this was going on the rest were carving places for themselves in the running order. Glen put in another steady drive but was narrowly outclassed by Paul and myself, both driving Mr SCX’s products! It was during this event that ‘chow down’ was called and the throng descended upon the new patio setting and barbeque, only to be sent back for another heat, then another, and another. Finally, snags and Kangaroo patties (which were very moreish) were gratefully received and the conversation continued on all things slot. It was about this time I noticed the host to be a little unsure of himself whilst standing?

Finally back to the track for the last few heats and the most momentous occasion was when Justin inadvertently drove another of Jordan’s heats whilst Jordan was available to drive,? Mmmmmm? And he put in another good performance. Being the gentleman he is (and with everybody being aware of what happened!) Justin let Jordan drive his (Justin’s) last heat! Woe of woes. It’s a long time since I have seen such a pitiful sight! I don’t know what Chef’s normally do when cooking but whatever Jordan had been doing he did very well. A distinct difficulty in focusing saw him trundle home like a lost buggy at a supermarket. I thought Justin fought back the tears very well!

So, with most of the rest of us happy with our performance, the event came to a close and the computer did what computers do!

Event 2 			DTM			28 laps

1.					Phil		10’ 32.083”
2.					Paul		10’ 34.353”
3.					Glen		10’ 40.963”
4.					Justin
5.					Kev
6.			Jordan!
7.			Norm
8.					Alan
9.			Ken
10.			Grieg
11.			Bob
12.			Peter
13.			Eggy
14.			Sweety

Last up was the trophy event. This is for Historic GP cars up to 1962. I have to admit that most drivers are slowly getting their cars sorted and this circuit was a particularly difficult drive and a great leveller too. Models which had previously dominated now struggled for supremacy and some ‘also rans’ were making the front of the pack. Kev’s previously non contending Cartrix Maserati 250F was now able to do something useful and Eggy’s good but just off the pace Mercedes W196 was almost the fastest model on the track, complete with NC1!! A credit to all who entered and Jordan! You can stop racing now!

The racing started well and these great little models were soon whizzing unencumbered around the tight little corners without a problem. It was as if the world had gone mad in reverse. The class most likely to end in tears with all those naked spinning wheels and tyres were a potential marshalls nightmare, yet here we were, lap after lap, totally in control and disciplined. I think I even saw a marshall yawn! Something they hadn’t time for in previous classes!

A couple of very nice Scaley 375’s in the race; one being Paul’s metal bodied special edition. Pre race Norm had got his Cooper T53 to perform well but it must have been to much for him as later in the race he took Eggy’s W196 for an outing with expected consequences. I ran a very drivable Cartrix Lotus 16 after aspersions had been cast over the legality of my scratchbuilt 196 some weeks before and wanting to avoid a lynch mob I bowed to pressure.

Being the generous soul that I am, I loaned a Cartrix 555 ’Super Squalo’ to Justin (Sweety) Sweet. His hand eye coordination was a little off so he decided to conduct an auction whilst racing. I’m not sure what the highest pledge was but for a moment there I was in serious doubt as to whether I would see my Ferrari again!

Eventually, all that was need was some affirmation of our talent levels and a soulless computer coldly dished out the results without fear or favour.
Event 3.			Historic GP   >1962

1.					Glen			10’ 55.318”
2.					Paul			11’ 21.737”
3.			Eggy					11’ 45.448”
4.					Phil
5.					Norm
6.					Kev
7.					Justin
8.			Bob
9.			Ken
10.			Peter
11.			Jordan
12.			Grieg
13.					Alan
14.			Sweety

So there we have it. By a little after 10.00 pm the troops slowly filtered into the night, Peter and I stayed to make sure Jordan was OK whereupon he wanted to pay for his new shirt at least three times. How good is THAT!

Another great race meeting and still nine months to go. Legends will be swapping nights in April due to Glen’s work load but that’s not a problem. I hope to have some more excitement for you for Saturday week, stay tuned.

If you live in the greater Brisbane area or are planning a visit to BrisVegas and would like to be part of the ongoing slotcar mayhem affectionately known as Q32 and Legends, don’t hesitate to pm me this board, email me at pwix@yahoo.com or call me on (07) 3822 7003

Ciao!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!