The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slotcar Legends report from the Narangba-ring!

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slotcar Legends report from the Narangba-ring!

Post by wixwacing »

Once again the faithful gathered in the name of good slotracing at the sumptuous home of Sue and John at Narangba, affectionately known as ‘Southfork’! The raceroom had been immaculately prepared for the occasion and guys started turning up from 4.00pm onwards, like eager first graders clutching their ‘little lunch’ boxes full of all sorts of slotcar goodies! Greeting us was Joe Cocker playing on the huge home theatre which was later to delight us with such things as Can Am revival racing and the Dixie Chicks......... Waaahoooo!

Being a Legends meeting the format, as always, was for the host to choose the opening class. In this instant it had been pre determined as LMP, open rules on motors and tyres. All other legends guide lines to apply. I had a nagging suspicion John had an ulterior motive here and sure enough, it wasn’t going to be long before it all became very obvious.

Gladiators, are you ready!!

Legends guidelines are aimed at a good mix of racing. Regulated classes to ensure racers don’t have to break the bank to have most of the class cars and unregulated to help some of the SCM’s vent their creative skills on model preparation, and the Trophy class, with which all participants have a set list of guidelines to prepare their models to, and to inject a bit of ‘unknown’ into the early stages of each season; instead of people bringing out ‘old faithfuls’ to rampage through the ranks with.

Lord help us!

With thirteen in attendance it was to be on for young and old and skill was to be less important than set up on the sweeping but tight four lane circuit. The ability to think a metre in front was to play an important part and those marshalls with four arms certainly had an advantage over the rest! Track owner John had quite plainly been burning the midnight oil as far as his contending models were concerned. The absence of a rally class left Justin making mid race decisions and car changes whilst others drove their trusty mounts ‘out of the box'; never touched since their last outing.

My main concern was with thirteen racers, heat change overs where going to have to be slick. One or two drivers still persisted in being hard to find when their heat was called. The time arrived and the track owner’s choice was LMP ’95 on, surprise, surprise…..not! And John was to ensure this race had his name on it. The opening heats saw some good driving and some good times in the low sixes and the odd foray into the high fives. Norm and his Toyota GT1 were to set the bench mark and I was a bit concerned that my once dominant BMW V12 was past its use by date. No matter, as the heats ensued and the track conditioned up, so too did lap times. That was until John put his Fly Joest Porsche into its first heat on yellow. High fives paled into insignificance as he lopped tenth after tenth off the lap time and settled for a 5.30 as his best lap for that lane. Justin struggled with a reply of 5.7. All of a sudden the focus shifted on to which of us was going to come second!!??

Time to give the face muscles a work out!!

The pressure got to some and Al managed to jump the start in his second heat which left him with a lap to find. With track condition improving and racing getting closer amongst the ‘also rans’, the marshalls got busier and busier until by part way through heat eight the track fell silent except for the plaintive cries of the drivers all wanting their models put back on first. Norms barnstorming came to an abrupt halt when his Proslot Toyota died unexplainably and valuable time was lost investigating its terminal fault. Jordan was bedogged by model problems throughout and one of Bob’s cars, the Spirit Dallara I think, actually split a tyre in a heat??

The last heat saw Jordan wishing HE had four arms as the ‘toll tunnel’ (because it takes its toll of drivers!) which he had chosen to marshall, became a permanent RTA scene. But, the heat ended and as always, the computer disappointed. Courtesy requires me to congratulate John on his success but I think maybe it might be the first and last time he will outsmart us! Eh guys!

Event 1			LMP ’95 >			20 laps

Pos.		Gp B.		Driver			Race Time (min/sec)

1.				John	(Fly Joest Porsche)	9’ 38.298”
2.				Phil (Ninco BMW V12)		10’ 14.515”
3.				Kev (Ninco BMW V12)		10’ 32.266”
4.				Glen
5.		1.		Eggy (on corrected time)
6.				Justin
7.				Norm
8.		2.		Ken
9.		3.		Peter
10.				Alan
11.		4.		Bob
12.		5.		Jordan
13.		6.		Sweety (Non class car)

Gentlemen, start your engines!

Next event was the ‘Set Class’ a chance for some strict ‘out of the box’ class racing with minimal alterations (weight/tyres). The class was Classic Trans Am and this caters for Classic Trans Am models excluding the two litre class. Camaros and Mustangs abound here and it is just a matter of personal preference as to which model you wanted to race. A couple of unusual entrants here with Eggy deciding to race a drophead and I raced a Pontiac GTO built under Legends guidelines for the class. As it proved, it was to be me and Eggy shooting it out on several occasions lap after lap. With only other deslots putting an air gap between us now and then.

First heat of the Trans Ams could only be described as cataclysmic. It was possibly a futile exercise putting lane markers on the model as almost everybody decided to race in someone else’s lane! The problem is a slotcar age old one. That of racing a fast class like LMP then making the change to a quick yet less stable class. It can take several minutes for hand – eye coordination to reset itself for the new challenge. Braking distances and cornering speeds have to be reset subconsciously before reasonable progress resumes.

‘Top Guns’ taking time out

Another phenomenon slotracing enjoys which is not reproducible in the real world of motor sport is that of seeing TWO Bob Jane Camaros in the same slot, Indian file!! Yes, you guys know who I mean! At a quieter moment in the pits I caught up with the Eggmeister making alterations to his topless model. He assured me that his good form was all down to his tuning prowess? I wonder if group ‘B’ status and its removal were a motivating force.

Peter demonstrated his ability on and off the track by not only NOT coming last but to be unflinching in the face of marshalling adversity. It seems that buy heat eight, nothing had changed and heat after heat witnessed midfield devastation, no one was excluded. I managed to finish a latter heat putting the Pontiac just in front of Eggy even though Ken and Alan conspired against me lap after lap. I pat myself on the back for the brazen death defying manoeuvres I carried out passing these guys every five laps or so.

But more to the point, while all this was going on, there was one driver who was beavering away in the back ground. Heat after heat, putting in good times and not drawing attention to himself!? You guessed! While we had duelled with the devil heat after heat. John was setting himself up for another victory. Good on you John. But this will be the second and last time he will outsmart us! Eh guys!

Last heat was run and as always the computer saw some of us right.

Event 2		Classic Trans Am		28laps

1.				John				12’ 22.390”
2.				Phil				12’ 36.470”
3.		1.		Eggy				12’ 37.251”
4.				Glen
5.				Justin
6.		2.		Ken
7.				Norm
8.		3.		Bob
9.				Kev
10.		4.		Peter
11.				Alan
12.		5.		Jordan
13.		6.		Sweety

Ken was giving out racing tips, $5.00 a tip!

Last up was Trophy Class, Historic GP. This had already been run at Bobs and now it was time to put it into action on board. Commensurate with the original guidelines, the voltage was determined by some pre race action and eventually it was set at 12 volts for this track. A good variety of models calling on the best that Scaley and others had to offer and the variety alone provided most of the entertainment. Once again the ‘slower class’ phenomenon kicked in and it took several heats for some guys to curb the driving excesses and settle in to a good steady drive. A great site to see these models in action on the track and some excellent driving by some in difficult situations.

Times were in the high sixes and low sevens so race distance was shortened to twenty two laps which I thought turned out just right. No noticeable front runners here with the likes of the Cartrix W196’s showing good pace and stability and again, John , handling a difficult Cooper T53 very well. A couple of Scaley Ferrari 375’s were out for a run too and they looked brilliant on the track. The field was completed by a Vanwall and a Maserati 250F and a visit by a Cartrix Kurtis Kraft Special.

I was a bit concerned as to which skills some drivers were using when one in particular finished his heat with a race average of 6.66 ??!! And there was more controversy over the eligibility of another front runner, but we won’t go there either? Lastly, first place went to a well earned effort and it showed that dogged persistence and supernatural help pays dividends! Well done Eggy, I can almost hear the chant of Jimmy Blacksmith (Eggy for A grade, Eggy for A grade!) So once again the computer pleased some and it was ‘stiff Cheddar’ for others.

Event Three	Trophy Class	Historic GP > ’62		22laps

1.		1.		Eggy				9’ 56.891”
2.				Glen				10’ 14.735”
3.				Phil				10’ 56.360
4.				John
5.				Kev
6.				Justin
7.		2.		Jordan
8.				Norm
9.				Alan
10.		3.		Peter
11.		4.		Bob
12.		5.		Ken
13.		6.		Sweety

Another great night of racing on an excellent track in excellent surroundings. Some surprises and some disappointment. Many thanks to Justin Sweet who travelled all the way up from the Southside. He is new to the local race scene but is already registering success in his group. A few well placed pointers and he should be smiling even more in the future. Jordan and Alan didn’t have their best night ever. No matter, there’s always Q32 at Eggy’s, Buderim, to come. Bob and Ken punched above their weight in various heats once again and I’m sure there must be a little private competition going on there, Mmmmmmm? Again thanks to Al for the mini bus service and a couple of coffees on our return to Clontarf, even if I did get home at 3.30 am!!

Many thanks again to Sue and John for inviting us into their home and thanks to all who turned up. It should be a good Q32 day at Eggy and Kim’s next month, classes to follow.

Lastly, I would like us all to reflect on absent racers and their families. One in particular who is in our hearts and whom we are thinking about.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Slotcar Legends report from the Narangba-ring!

Post by kenneth »

Scrutineer Report for WixWacing Mercedes 154.
It seems a certain racer has been taking the interpretation of rules to the Ferrari headquarters for clarification, quite funny since it is a Mercedes (remember Stepneygate).
After one heat of looking at the bottom of the car and being asked, `what`s under here` & the reply was `black paint`, hmmm.
Everything seemed to be of the ferrous kind no ABS plastic here gents, upon closer inspection, the black paint seemed to be covering a brass chassis :shock: , along with black painted brass sidepipes.
The Wixwacing vehicle has also had it`s fuel checked for temperature,aerodynamic devices looked at closely, tyre compound & the drivers fuel was also suspect. The following document was found to be in possession of WixWacing and no effort was made to try and conceal it, which may go in the teams favour.
http://www.slotcarouthouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=99
At the moment both are sitting in Scrutineering waiting for the 258 page report on the nefarios interpretation of rules.
A 5 place penalty is the rumour for the next GP round, but all Executives are tied up at the moment with Chelsea - sorry in Chelsea for an all important meeting.
Regards
Corner Marshall.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

A 5 place penalty is the rumour for the next GP round, but all Executives are tied up at the moment with Chelsea - sorry in Chelsea for an all important meeting.

I'm sure there is a simple and plausible explanation for technical trivialities like this. A moments lapse in concentration during model assembly? A senior moment when picking the model from the race box where other legalities resided? Or even a tired and weary old person thinking of his wife and family and how he might feed them next week???

Whatever the reason I can only quote the famous English pop artist Elvis Costello!

"I don't wanna go to Chelsea"

Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

I had another good nights racing at John and Sue's home. The only thing better than the hospitality and the venue was John's driving, real top shelf stuff. I think the only hiccup from my perspective was determining the optimum voltage to allow the FF can runners to be able to control the cars at a reasonable controller stroke range while not compromising the power output of the NC1 type powered cars. Did we get it right? Well the first 3 places in the Historic GP class all went to the latter so maybe yes we did get it right however, I do sympathise with Kev and his Cartrix Ferrari 555 Super Squalo. His car suffered more than others and to about the same extent as the Cartrix Kurtis Kraft Special I lent to Peter. Fortunately the reduced power with the Kurtis aided Peter in some good results but for Kev who is more than capable of handling the extra power it hurt his speed. I know what it is like trying to please everyone on the night. Phil was just trying to get the right compromise for both camps and to his credit I think it was pretty close. Kev is going to try a NC1 in the Ferrari for it's next outing, over the standard factory TX1 if I am not mistaken, which is a little less powered compared to the NC1 and was therefore more affected when the voltage was turned down. Let's hope the NC1 does the trick but if it doesn't maybe a 0.5v increase from up 12.0v to 12.5v may swing the ledger back into the Cartrix camp. Hard to call but lets do what we can to keep it as even as possible for all and for everyone to appreciate the decisions are made to do just that. So thanks Phil for running the night and once again to John and Sue for hosting. It was a great night.
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

Howdy Guys

Glad to see the numbers are strong and the competitions is tight .

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and the words I'm hearing to myself are

Slot Car Legends T-Shirt

Where do we get one and when can we have it ?

Very nice . Would even match Jordans flower boardies he wore to Al's

Regards to all
Paul
Go hard or Go home
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Paul

Good to hear from you buddy, hopefully we'll see you soon one way or another. Let me know what your shirt size and colour preference is (see entry in 'carboot' section for colours) and I'll get one to you. We'll worry about the rest later.

Hi guys,

It was always going to be tongue in cheek when it came to voltage as we try and race a wide range of models. One thing was for sure and that was at thirteen plus volts there would have been greater disparity and more carnage. The 'Squalo' is a lovely model, I have it myself, but it and the BRM are down on power compared to the Lotus 16. The standard Merc 196's have the 'Sun' motor, a strange chromium beast which has the revs but is low on torque, it also runs very hot from memory. The Scaley models have plenty of grunt and voltage regulation was aimed more so at these models. Not sure of the cure as I suspect an NC1 may also be off the pace?? Maybe a Wix-rewind! Good news is the next round of Historic GP will be at Jordan and Therese's. The emphasis here is definitely going to be on handling and a lot less on straight line speed!