The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Q32 Race results 07 02 09

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Q32 Race results 07 02 09

Post by wixwacing »

A sunny day, a fair wind and about 2,000 flies were to greet us at the Q32 race meet at Alan and Jacqui’s last weekend. Undeterred we soon got down to some serious (and not so serious) practice. The local race groups usually allow a couple of hours warm up/practise before the start of racing. Some take this period very seriously and others look upon it as an opportunity to open a couple of coldies and weigh up the opposition.

Whatever the format, we all know that at the end of practice it is time to do the business, and no matter how well this time was spent the marshalls would ensure that it would all come unravelled in the heat of competition! No matter, on with the racing and first up was DTM.

DTM is a good class and in my view is not raced as much as it could be. Some fine models from several manufacturers and a chance for some of the better Carreras to show what they are capable of! In my case it was time to dig out an old war horse in the form of an early SCX Astra with Pro Turbo power. The Ninco models were going to be hard to beat but they weren’t necessarily unbeatable, far from it.

First heat saw controversy regarding lane power but this issue was soon sorted and the complainant was suitably reprimanded! Once everyone was back under control, Norm stormed into the lead and took the heat with a degree of comfort. Heat three saw inter group competition between Ken and Alan. Both made an early move which lasted the heat length.

In later heats Norm continued to stamp his mark on the order of things while I had to contend with Jordan occupying my space on the track on several occasions! A later heat saw a last minute deslot and some less than classic marshalling help Jordan take a heat off what was up ‘til then, a masterful Eggmeister. Bad luck John I know how it must have felt.

Heat nine saw Ken have another good heat and he gave Group A driver Glen a good run for his money. Well done Ken. In the closing heats Justin issued a very profound statement after a series of disastrous heats. “I’m only here for the rally” was heard on more than one occasion. Eventually the race was called and the results, accompanied by chants of “Ken for A grade” were as follows:
Race 1			DTM			25 laps

1.				Glen (Scaley Astra)		20’ 12.144”
2.				Norm	(Scaley Astra)		20’ 46.402”
3.				Phil (SCX Astra ProTurbo)	20’ 55.244”
4.		1.		Ken (Scaley Astra)
5.		2.		Jordan (SCX-NC8)
6.		3		Eggy (Carrera)
7.				Kev (Scaley)
8.				Alan (Carrera)
9.		4.		Bob (Ninco)
10.				Justin (Carrera)
11.		5		Peter (SCX)
Mmmmmmmmmm?

Next up was Classic Sports for NC1/NC8. Another Q32/Legends favourite and one which would bring out more driver ability than other classes. Lots of beautiful models in this class and mostly Ninco too. But this class allows other ‘favourite’ models to be upgraded to NC1 for the purpose. The race was for 20 laps duration and there was plenty of time to correct any early driver errors but the race was not too long as to become boring. A much anticipated class which unfolded as follows.

First heat saw me and Norm go race distance after a restart. I was lucky to take the heat by a small margin but the standard of racing was to take its toll. Some racers had brought their prized possessions for the occasion. One such was the blue Ninco XK120 Jaguar of the Eggmeister. Normally used to sitting in pride of place in his extensive collection, this model had been summoned to do battle with the Q32 elite. A desperate measure indeed and one, I suspect, that was motivated by the Eggman’s strive to regain A grade status!!??

Heat three saw carnage at turn three and a lot of ‘self’ marshalling attempts. As we speak, the stewards are watching the video replay. Always a nasty business but needs must when the devil drives, eh!! One of the high points for the event was when Glen and Jordan went head to head up to the last lap of their heat. Both driving Testa Rossas, but as always, for the most part, NC1 racing is civilised and heat succeeded heat with great aplomb and decorum. Small wonder that at the end of the event the computer decided in favour of its creator and issued results commensurate with its instructions.
Race 2		Classic Sports NC1		20 laps

1.				Phil			16’ 18.296”
2.				Norm			16’ 47.214”
3.				Kev			16’ 57.658
4.		1.		Eggy
5.				Justin
6.				Glen
7.				Alan
8.		2.		Jordan
9.		3.		Bob
10.		4.		Ken
11.		5.		Peter
Egg’s recall of the Jag to action obviously paid dividends.
At this stage the sumptuous spread prepared by Jacqui was augmented by a superb barbeque, and we took time out to re victual with an array of pabulum befitting the King of Egypt!!

Last up was the Rally class. An event, by now, we had come to realise, was what Justin had come for! So, could he substantiate this claim?? Heat one was called and it was time to ‘Put up or shut up!’ I had decided to field a much set up SCX Peugeot and it proved to be capable of the job but, unfortunately, at this late stage, Several regional breweries had conspired against me causing me to struggle with the recognition of my car on the track! Let alone which lap I was on. So, someone else had to take the battle to Justin, but was anyone up to it?

Heat after heat saw Justin grinning like a Cheshire cat which said it all. Heat after heat he crushed all who went before and eventually the computer, contrary to my instructions, dealt us all a mortal blow and pronounced the results as follows!!
Race 3			Rally				20 laps

1.				Justin (Ninco Subaru)	        15’ 53.481”
2.				Kev (Ninco 997)		        16’ 11.879”
3.				Glen (Ninco 307)		16’ 14.998
4.				Norm (Ninco Subaru)
5.				Alan (Ninco Porsche 997/Subaru)
6.				Phil (SCX Peugot 206}
7.		1.		Jordan (Ninco Subaru)
8.		2.		Eggy (Ninco Citroen Saxo)
9.		3.		Bob (Ninco – several)
10.		4.		Peter (Scaley Subaru)
11.		5.		Ken (Ninco Subaru)

So that was it. All Justin’s pigeons came home to roost at the same time. Ken drove well and Norm and Kev also put in some good results. With the rest of the season to run, once again it will be survival of the fittest! Bring it on boys!!!

Perro
Team Strategist

Re: Q32 Race results 07 02 09

Post by Perro »

Hi everyone and to all those who attended the meeting I think you will agree it was an excellent start to the Q32 race season. I know the 2000 or so flies that turned up had a fantastic time. The highlight for me was the level of driving that has improved in leaps and bounds over the last few months. As Phil mentioned Ken and Jordan both gave me a hard time in a couple of heats in several classes and I for one really enjoyed the challenge as I hope they did as well. Another to improve his driving skills to another level and surprisingly on not just plastic track but on his dreaded surface of wood was Bob. I remember in 2 particular heats I deslotted and Bob over took me. I thought it was a case of simply retaking my position from him in the next lap or so. How wrong was I. He held position for many laps only to be taken out by another driver before I could pass him. I predict big results for Bob before too long.

I like most of us at Alan's thought Justin's prediction of wiping all before him in Open Rally was a very tall call. In fact in his first heat he crashed in turn 2 and when he was trying to catch up he crashed again and again. At quarter race distance he was 2 laps behind and I was thinking he had no chance of taking out the heat let alone the class. Well he did both and all credit to him. Revenge will be mine Goonster.

I had to suffer Eggy all the way home complaining whether he should of raced his blue Jaguar XK120 but I know I was happy to see it on track. It also performed better than he anticipated so it may even grace the tracks of south east Queensland once more.

Thanks to Alan and Jacqui for being the perfect hosts once more and thank you again Phil for a terrific race report up to the usual high standard.

Perro
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

Hey Perro,

I noticed you didn't complain too much when we had to stop in the forest!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

As i recall Phil i was your mobile armco for a heat or 2!! :P
It was a great night of racing .
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

Looks like it was good fun guys, unsurprisingly there are pictures of Eggy laying down the law!

Going racing this weekend myself... should be interesting to drive on a circuit I have no idea what the hell it's going to be like!
The Racer Administrator
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Rob good luck and you will have to let us know how it all went. And if there is any chance of pics that would be great. Yes another pic of Eggy laying down the law, unfortunately you don't see the "couldn't give a s**t" looks on all the other faces he think are listening to him. Things haven't changed at all then.
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

You guys have it all wrong. I wasn't laying down the law. I just noticed ken was walking towards the table to take the last cheerio.