The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Specs for the new Trophy Class

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Specs for the new Trophy Class

Post by wixwacing »

With one week to go on the poll, and to save a bit of time, I am going to pre empt the result of the poll and bandy some ideas about .

Should the class turn out to be Historic GP I am proposing the following guidelines.

1. Class to cover cars from 1950 to 1962.
This is to promote a form of parity. This covers cars like the Brabham Cooper T53 and the Phil Hill Ferrari 156. It will exclude The Lotus 49 and the Gurney Eagle. These models are too quick and their footprint is too far advanced compared to the pre 63 models which will be what most will be racing. I consider they would not be in the spirit of the event.
2. To be run as a non magnet race on plastic tracks.
This is because the magnets in the projected models vary greatly from make to make.
3. Run at a predetermined lower voltage than normal.
Possibly at ten or eleven volts where possible. Most tracks now have variable voltage power supplies. This hopefully will impart an 'NC1' type feel to racing and reduce deslots and encourage closer racing between all racers.
4. Motors to be restricted to 18,000 rpm
As for 3. above
5. Tyre tread area to be no wider than the wider Classic Ninco tyre (9mm?).
6. Ballasting to be allowed
It goes without saying that a lot of models are going to be hard to drive without some extra weight!

Other guide lines to be in line with 'Slotcar Legends' guidelines, ie Plastic wheels, hard bodies etc

So let me have your thoughts

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Perro
Team Strategist

Re: Specs for the new Trophy Class

Post by Perro »

Phil is there any problem in opening the front end of the class to pre 1950. This will then allow the Pink Kar Bugatti and Auto Union to be eligible. As far as tyre width, wheel base and motor spec are concerned there would be no advantage over any of the cars you have already included but it opens the class to even more cars. On the downside I guess that for the class to look more authentic the Bug and Auto Union may be to early in the era to have really been included. And yes I do have a Bug.

Perro.
Last edited by Perro on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

Phil,

My concern is with the wide variety of motors that we run, would turning the voltage down put some at a disadvantage to others. By this I mean some of us have already put NC1 motors in our cars. If the voltage is turned down it may make ours so slow that they are not up to scratch with the others.

Also some of us may not have varible power supplies. I do so it is no problem for me.

Regards

Egg
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi John

Valid point. The motors at the greatest disadvantage should be the long armature motors (SCX NC2/5 and Boxers). These have a high current draw and even when the current is there the voltage reduction slows them noticably. 'S' can motors are low current motors and are affected less. Perhaps you might like to conduct a test for us all.

Run an 'S' can motor on a variety of voltages over twenty laps or so and log the lap times and note the change in lap times. Run an NC1 model and do the same. Finally, run an SCX and note the changes.

It won't be necessary to compare motors as it would be purely an exercise to see how each type of motor is affected individually. I suspect the NC1 may well be the least effected, but I am prepared to be proven wrong.

Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Perro wrote:Phil is there any problem in opening the front end of the class to pre 1950. This will then allow the Pink Kar Bugatti and Auto Union to be eligible. As far as tyre width, wheel base and motor spec are concerned there would be no advantage over any of the cars you have already included but it opens the class to even more cars. On the downside I guess that for the class to look more authentic the Bug and Auto Union may be to early in the era to have really been included. And yes I do have a Bug.

Perro.
Any more regarding this comment?
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Sorry Glen, I must have had a senior moment. No worries. I put 1950 as a token start point as it was the first year of the official world GP championships, no other reason. Pre 1950's are more than welcome.
The only pre 1950 model I have reservations about is the twin rear wheeled 'D' type Auto Union as made by Pink Kar or any other twin rear wheeled model. I know what they go like and I feel this would also be outside the spirit of the event. Also, it will exclude closed body GP cars like the 300 SLR Merc which also raced in GP.

Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Thanks for the quick response Phil. Like you I had this niggling doubt about the dual wheeled Auto Union but I was counting on no one (that we race with anyway) on knowing much about them but further investigation has revealed exorbitant prices and difficult availability may do us a favour in that regard. Failing that, plain old banning them may have to do.

See you on the race track,

Perro

PS. I got hold of 4 Scalextric RX and a SCX repro RX from a good fellow on Auslot after posting an add in the "Wanted" section of the forum. So hopefully all going well I will be able to convert a BRM and maybe a Vanwall for the class as well.