The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Q32 October race meet, results

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Q32 October race meet, results

Post by wixwacing »

Q32 held their October meeting at Bob and Julies place at Strathpine.. Bob is a fellow hobbyist and some few years back had a large metal shed built on the back of his property to store some of the impressive aero models he has made. While he was at it he built it large enough to contain a very respectable four lane Ninco track and the space needed to contain a good crowd to race on it. I can only say it is very rare for this venue to have a low turn out. Perhaps it appeals to our more primitive instincts and who can avoid some breakneck magnet racing should the opportunity come along!!

So it was at last weekends meeting. Glen had chosen three breakneck classes for a bunch of SCM’s (me being one of them!) to do their damndest!! And they did!! Classes for contesting where Modern GT, Nascar and LMP ,

Woooooooah!

Another minor period of track maintenance was called for in the practice time as one controller’s brakes stopped working. The fault was identified and very soon the count down began for the first heat of the first class!! This was Modern GT!!

Some interesting model for this class, I was expecting a field of GT1’s but as it turned out there was a good selection of models including Scaley GT3’s, Dodge vipers, Listers, Ferraris and even a GT Ford?? With fourteen people in attendance and thirteen racing it was to be a good turn out and some great racing. Heat one saw the GT1’s take to the track and after a good start I was feeling confident, until my model shed a front wheel (and it wasn’t a Scaley!). Hastily I replaced it with a DBR9 but by then all was lost

Next up was a battle of wills. Glen and Eggy went wheel for wheel, lap after lap and as the race entered the closing stages Eggy decided the pressure was too much and deslotted, leaving Glen to win that heat. A couple of heats later, group ‘b’ racer Jordan pulled out all the stops with his Scaley GT3 and romped home in front of everyone else, with almost a fault free round. Another good show a couple of heats later saw Chris and Jordan finish in front of Paul and Glen.

This first class was proving to be a bit of a shake up for some. I couldn’t swear to it but I suspect Norm spent nearly as much time on his roof as he did on his wheels. But he must have been playing with us as LMP was to be his class to shine. Jordan slipped in a 6.262 sec lap and almost confirmed he might not be a ‘b’ grouper for long!! Bob, on home turf, edged in a 6.283, well done guys.
Results 

Event 1  			GT Modern 			25 laps

Position		Position		
overall			Group B		Driver

1.						Chris
2.						Justin
3.						Paul
4.			1.			Jordan
5.						Phil
6.			2.			Alan
7.			3.			Bob
8.						Eggy
9.						Glen
10						Robert
11.			4			Bill P
12.			5.			Peter
13.						Norm

It is hard to believe sometimes that the Nascars drive as hard as they do and I was surprised to see these models go almost as fast as the GT class, but they do!! The Scaleys take to Ninco track like a duck to water but the troublesome side of the SCX model shows if you try to race them un prepared. I decided t do the full blueprint prior to the race meeting and it paid off with my SCX model being a high finisher for an SCX model. Most of the guns had chosen Scaleys and there was little else to do but keep up!

Heat one of Nascars got off to a blinder but several laps into the race there was a call for a faulty controller. After some jiggling and a swap, the heat was re run and Norm took it upon himself to stamp his mark on this heat. But would he do it for the race?? Heat three was another mammoth tussle with Paul and Justin duplicating Eggy and Glens GT duel. This also went most of the race distance until surprisingly, Paul was the one to leave the competition abruptly with a deslot only a lap or two from the end.

A couple of heats later there was a controversial result when Eggy beat Justin by half a lap. In spite of what people were saying Eggy, I believe you won it fair and square!! I was put into a ‘soft ‘ heat by the computer and where as I should have cruised to the finish, I managed three or four deslots but amazingly still won the heat. There’s a lesson there some where, I’m sure! Inspite of the Scaley onslaught Paul and I both managed 7.0 laps with our SCX’s, which, if you could stay on, was a winning time. Finally the race was over and the last heat was run and this is how it went.

Event 2		Nascar		25 laps

1.						Justin
2.						Paul
3.						Norm
4.						Phil
5.						Eggy
6.						Glen
7.						Chris
8.			1.			Bob
9.						Robert
10.			2.			Alan
11.			3.			Jordan
12.			4.			Peter
13.			5.			Bill P

Last event was LMP, also restricted to 18,000 rpm motors @12v. This of course is a guide and some of the models in this class are veritable missiles and very hard to keep up with. Favourite for the event looked to be Norm’s sinister black Fly Lola. It was hammering out sub sevens before the race started and a good sub seven was to be only just good enough. There were also another couple of Lolas lurking in the back ground and a Scaley one, which used to be king of this event. A Scaley Porsche fronted up and dark horse was to be the Fly Joest Porsche, two of which took part.

In this class the pace got hotter and hotter as the racing went on. A well prepared LMP of Paul’s pipped Justin at the post in their first head to head. I was having some good runs in my heats with my Spirit Reynard which was quick but could be even quicker in the right hands. Justin’s Fly Lola was also a quick car but things started to become unravelled after he lost a whole rear wheel whilst on a hot lap near the finish. Next up Paul opted for his Fly Joest and the bar was raised another couple of notches.

All this time Norm had been putting in some scorching laps with his ‘black death’ on wheels bringing the fastest lap down to early sixes, but so far he hadn’t had any truly ‘head on’ racing, but that was to change. Heat nine saw Paul, Norm and myself on the grid for the first time. Expectation spread through the gathered throng and the lights were green. A spectacular race by any standard where the lead changed several times each lap, but to no advantage. Finally Norm dropped back after a couple of mistakes and Paul and I went off, Lola v. Reynard. We traded corners for a good few laps and eventually Paul’s model let go, I took full advantage and for the last few laps I backed off to preserve my position. Paul closed on each remaining lap but by the finish I took the heat by about five car lengths.

Other racers too were having their own battles and one good performance was Chris with a brand new Ninco Acura. Ninco go well on their own track and Chris managed to defend his corner well against some stiff opposition. Young Rob too turned out an early BMW LMP which, although not on the pace. Had enough go to make it entertaining. Jordans earlier turn of speed had deserted him and Alan rustled up a very nice Porsche 917 Spyder minus driver to race himself.

Last heat raced and the results panned out as follows:
Event 3		LMP			25 laps

1.						Paul
2.						Phil
3.						Norm
4.						Eggy
5.						Justin
6.						Glen
7.						Chris
8.			1.			Bob
9.			2.			Jordan
10.			3.			Alan
11.						Robert
12.			4.			Bill
13.			5.			Peter
Fastest lap went to Norm with a 5.596 secs and there were three or four racers only tenths slower.

Yet another great afternoons racing and stiff competition in all classes and both groups. Many thanks to Bob for hosting and for Julie for catering. It was greatly appreciated. The circus moves on to Graceville on the 25th for the ‘Slotcar Legends’ October meeting. Stay tuned!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Re: Q32 October race meet, results

Post by yankfaraway »

It shouldn't surprise me anymore how alike we all are. Your group looks a lot like our group, and my metal building looks a lot like yours. I have my beer refrigerators on the front wall near the overhead door, too.
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

I somehow had 3 cars that fit the classes for the night, and whilst none were competitive for the classes, they were certainly fun to drive (or slide, most of the time) around the corners, especially the Ninco cars.

Ahh well, was good fun to race around, and fail in epic fashion :)

The BMW V12 LMP is nowhere near the pace for the racing on a plastic track, it could be there on a board track however. Same with the BMW M3 GTR, it's a car that shines on board tracks.. and NASCAR, well... good fun on board as well...
The Racer Administrator
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Hi everyone,

I must agree with Phil, it was another terrific nights racing thanks to hosts Bob and Julie for doing everything they do each time we race at their track in Strathpine and over feed us. The turn up was also great to see once again with 2 new faces mixing it the the regular bunch of guys. Racing was close as usual with some amazingly fast times being set by several of the top runners with consistency being the decider of overall results each time.

I think allowing the Spirit Reynards to run in the LMP class proved to be successful. Although very fast it was no faster than class regulars like the Fly Lola's and Scalextric MG Lola's. I think it will help to widen the selection of cars people can choose from for the class. That said as the results showed non of the cars that run well on board tracks really featured in the overall class results for LMP and on their home turf I think the Ninco cars will dominate next time we hit the wood. So come armed with a Fly Lola or Spirit Reynard and the Ninco boys will have you on toast and the new king of that group may well be the new Acura. Beaten on the night at Bob's by the faster cars like the Lola's it still showed a good turn of pace even on plastic. Just wait until it hits what I think will be it's favourite race deck, wood.

Finally thanks again Phil for bailing us out with another electronic glitch. How would we know it was a race meet without you having to repair something to do with the computer of power supply systems. Oh Bob please, please, please fit up the round earth pin sockets.

Regards,

Perro
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

It shouldn't surprise me anymore how alike we all are. Your group looks a lot like our group, and my metal building looks a lot like yours. I have my beer refrigerators on the front wall near the overhead door, too.
Hi Rob,

Perhaps we have discovered the 'Feng Shui' of slot racing!

Spooky!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!