The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slotcar Legends September Al's Clontarf

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slotcar Legends September Al's Clontarf

Post by wixwacing »

This month’s round of the ‘Slotcar Legends’ series was intended to be at Bob and Julies for an afternoon of magnet mayhem but as has happened to a lot of locals, both Bob and Julie have succumbed to the spring flu bug and poor Bob phoned me in the preceding week sounding very unrecognisable, heavy with virus no doubt. Anyhow, once again, Al stepped into the breech and let us race the round at his place for which, Al, we are very grateful! Alan had problems of his own and is nursing a poorly wife who had a fall on public transport very recently. Nonetheless, he welcomed us to his home and an excellent race afternoon we all had.

We weren’t expecting numbers to be much as there was illness about and some sent apologies as they were working and one in particular was called away to attend to his husbandly duties! But as it happened we were a healthy throng and as such, the racing benefited for it. I got there early just to generate some karma and along with a couple of early arrivers we set about fine tuning the models for the event. Al had been very busy and has completed some sprint car models, similar to his speedway cars only without the huge foils on the roof.

Early practice saw the monitor malfunction but luckily there was a spare under the track which goes to show you can never have too many monitors!! A couple of quick lane repairs and rebooting the program saw all systems go and with a delayed start whilst waiting for some latecomers, we got underway a little short of 17.00hrs.

First event was the same class chosen for Bob’s so I decided to retain it as people would have come prepared for it. This was GT Unrestricted motor. This allows for tinkering but the chassis and axles have to remain the same. There were some guys playing their cards close to their chest and some alarming developments when Paul arrived with a brand new Scaley Dodge Viper which proceeded to drive perfectly straight from the box, but more of that at a later time. Justin also had purchased a Ninco Gallardo and spent some time setting it up. It was looking like the rest of us were going to have it all to do!!

Alan rated his chances as limited but was looking forward to group B results (probably because he was almost the only group B driver!) There was some consternation when Justin claimed to have power surges whilst racing. It turned out to be poor braid contact and Alan took advantage and won the heat, but alas, it was to be mostly downhill for him from here! I am pleased to say that marshalling was as best we could hope for. This day it was the drivers which were reluctant to come to the track. John shone on heat six and set a fast lap of 10.64 with his Slot.it Nissan which was to set the pace, and not long after the times started to tumble.

I expect the track started to rubber up a bit. Kev contributed with some cunning stunts and drove his Proslot GT2 to a couple of good wins. Paul chopped and changed and toyed with our emotions whilst I was determined to make this an SCX Victory (who shouted dreamer!). Anyhow, after the race finished the results were as follows.

Slotcar Legends open motor GT class. 20 laps Group B results in parenthesis.
1.			Phil			15’05.208”
2.			Paul			16’25.790”
3.			Kev			16’47.812”
4.			Justin
5.			John
6.		(1)	Alan
7.		(2)	Peter

Fastest lap,		Paul 10.556”			Scaley Maserati MC12
A great victory for the SCX Aston Martin DBR with standard RX42b motor, eh boys!!

Next up was the set class, this was to be LMP with standard rated motors of 18,000 rpm @ 12volts. There had been a lot of testing in the early minutes and before this race. Some surprising entries and some old faithfuls. One surprise was Justin’s willingness to race an Scaley Cadillac!! Yes you heard right, but then again, my choice was a finely tuned SCX Cadillac!! The Bentley I had devoted days to kept jumping the slot on a couple of tighter bends and rendered it useless on Yellow and Red, No matter, the Caddy played its part

Other favourites were a ‘stealth’ Peugeot by Carrera, complete with two magnificent bar magnets, not that they were to help here! John settled for a trusty Porsche in the shape of his Joest and I was surprised to see so few Ninco’s in the running. Normally they crawl all over this class! A couple more SCX’s to pad out the proceedings and the game was under way!

Early heats proved to be chaotic with the marshalls doing overtime. It seemed everyone had forgotten their slotcar manners by this time and on more than one occasion the track was very quiet! A special thanks goes to Jordan for his marshalling skills. At the last lap of heat five, Justin and I were neck and neck when we tangled with three bends to go. Jordan graciously put me back on first to give me heat win. Thank you Jordan, the cheque is in the post.

With green and white to race I got the Bentley out and it proved a right decision as I sailed off into the wild blue yonder. By the end of the race I had salvaged a couple of places but not good enough. Kev had done the deed with his Ninco BMW and some textbook driving and not even the marshalls could help the rest of us. Justin’s Scaley Cadillac stood him in good stead and John had some fine heats with his Fly Joest.

Slotcar Legends  LMP  restricted motors  20 laps

1.			Kev			15’21.277”
2.			Justin			15’29.438”
3.			John			15’30.546”
4.			Phil
5.			Paul
6.		(1)	Alan
7.		(2)	Peter
8.		(3)	Jordan

Fastest lap		Kev		10.232”

Time for a break and the customary feed. Alan had rustled up some tasty comestibles and come the second interval we had ordered pizza to fill the gap. Eating over and on to the last event. This was the ‘Subaru’ Challenge. Open to all Subarus, New models and old alike. Once again it was expected for Ninco to do well but it didn’t stop a whole variety from being entered. Top contenders Paul and Justin brought out the big guns and the rest raced for last place. In the 25 lap onslaught, lap times fell to the 10.2’s for the race leaders and deslots would determine heat positions.

Jordan had another good run in heat two but came unstuck in other heats to blot his copybook. All the same, some improvement each time he races. Paul and Justin joined in mortal combat on more than one heat and with multicoloured Subarus all around they hacked their way through the back markers time and again. I had only taken an early race prepared Scaley model with me and was unable to take the race to them but no matter, it went well and acquitted itself as the first Scaley home.

On one heat there was a pile up in front of my racing station and as I came around the bend before, the marshalls were clambering for the models, but alas, not quickly enough! I had to move a couple of models myself to get through! Yes, I know they had been reslotted, but that’s life!!

Slotcar Legends ‘Subaru Challenge’ 25 laps
1.			Justin			19’19.792”
2.			Paul			20’13.196”
3.			Kev			20’25.322
4.			Phil
5.		(1)	Alan
6.		(2)	Jordan
7.			Norm
8.			Gary
9.		(3)	Peter
Yet another great race day and more fun than you could poke a stick at!
As well as the set racing, All and friends had some of his sprint cars on the oval and quite spectacular (if not a little fragile) they are. It could be hoped that we might include these as a feature event at some time in the future.

The Oval also races Nascars and generates some heart stopping events as models mount the crash barriers, unintentional, of course!

Next race day is the Q32 race afternoon at John’s highly drivable track at Narangba. Classes have yet to be announced. Regardless, I’ll see you there!!

If you are interested in racing with the 'Legends' please pm me this board or email me at pwix@yahoo.com

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!