The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Results-Q32 at the Mount

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Results-Q32 at the Mount

Post by wixwacing »

For the first time in a little while I decided to take myself along to the Q32 race meeting at the highly driveable Mt Perrorama at Caloundra. And with friend Greg we made the journey up the coast to this awesome track. A good day’s racing was on the card and to top it all there were 17 drivers at the start, and it was in no doubt that this was going to be a great meeting. Some of the best drivers that Q32 could chuck at you where there and it was good to catch up with good friend and fellow racer Paul especially as like me he has been a bit out of the loop of late.

Practice saw a whole bunch of guys looking for those final tenths to give them the edge on this five laned sweeper of a track. Straight line speed was going to be more important on this track than some of the smaller more technical tracks we race on but the big ‘if’ was going to be getting enough downforce from a quick model on the sweeping magnabraid bends.

First up was round two of the new trophy series Renault Meganes. Two choices for this event.... SCX or Ninco. Hands up those who chose Ninco??.......WRONG!!!. You guessed it. I had been doing some homework on the new (to me) Logan City speedway (call for details!). Owner Greg has a demon SCX Megane which I couldn’t catch with my Ninco, so I bought my ten year old SCX Megane out of retirement complete with aging pro turbo motor, and burned some midnight oil!

On the day, three SCX Meganes blitzed the field. They took off into the distance like scalded cats and the rest of the pack just wasn’t in it, SCX and Ninco alike. There was a tight bunch behind the three and they had some good racing amongst themselves. At the final flag the Logan boys crossed the line and when the results were published it was a bit reminiscent of the day three Ford GT40’s crossed the line at Le Mans! Well done to Greg for taking out the class win on his debut!

Next class was the modern GT’s. Once again a mixed bag here which is always good to see. Paul had obviously been reading something of mine on the Outhouse as he turned up with the same model as me for this event!!? Although he did try a couple of others out, the Carrera Z4 Bimmer was unstoppable. Chris raced a very quick dodge Viper and there were a couple of Maserati MC12’s putting on a good show, but best and fairest on the day was ‘Mr Quiet Achiever’ Garry with a very quick Scaley Ford GT.

I put in the quickest time with my Carrera Z4 but was dogged by senior moments in the early stages of the race. I jumped the lights at the start of one heat after someone feigned, and did a full on deslot under the only flyover after the track went left when my intention was to go straight on!! Finally after all the action the computer once again showed who was paying attention.....and who wasn’t.

Last up was the Modern F1 race. Now the word is that ALL F1 races without exception, end in carnage! And this race was no exception. I give eleven out of ten to all the marshalls, under siege from all manner of flying plastic, and I’m sure there was a small pile of front wings building up at a couple of the corners in most heats.

There was a potential choice of three different makes for this class although I suspect it was predominantly Scaley products that were going well. Glen had a hugely fast early Scaley Toyota (remember them?) and he was going to use it. Paul had an even more hugely fast Toyota and he was going to use his too! And I had a monstrously quick ING Renault and guess what, you got it!

The early heats saw me bore off into the distant future with Glen and Paul in pursuit. A few heats later Paul had a massive shunt which decimated the front of his model, and was going to race a second string model. Glen and Garry put in consistently good times and as I always say “Mr Average wins the race” so a mammoth effort was required. A bunch of racers in the midfield positions were also having their good times and their bad times. A race that was dogged with crashes tested racers and marshalls alike.

With my last heat at hand I just had to go for it and stay on. I achieved a track best of 7.120 earlier on and didn’t need to prove anything, but a couple of incidents inflicted on me by the great Sun god Ra saw what was an easy chance slip away. Conversely, Paul decided to race the battered Toyota and all, for me, was lost. Not only did he have a race average of 7.9 he had a best lap of 6.990 which was a new track record. I’m sure Shakespeare would have a good line for my distress!

It turned out as a war of attrition for some guys. Ken didn’t know what name he was racing under for one race??? Al suffered a litany of model failures. Dave wanted to change his name to Phil for the results bit. Eggy was fending off a barrage of badinage from all quarters. Newcomer Tim was flying one minute and then....not. John for once was always the bridesmaid! Bob suffered a skin lesion during a marshalling incident!!?? Kev was sidelined with a viral attack, Justin, was Justin!

So there we have it. Another great race day at the mount and nothing more to do other than pack up and go home. Many thanks to Glen for holding the meeting, and many thanks for the eats and nibbly’s that were forthcoming during the afternoon!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Perro
Team Strategist

Re: Results-Q32 at the Mount

Post by Perro »

Thanks again Phil for one of the years best reports to date. It's always a pleasure hosting you guys when you make the trip up the mount and especially you guys from the wrong sides of Brissy (both south and west), it makes for a long jaunt up the highway so your efforts are greatly appreciated. Greg drove his SCX Megane brilliantly on debut for a first up win much to the disdain of the track owner, me. Phil didn't you explain the rules about doing that kind of thing before deciding to make the trip up? I think the SCX were the cars to have on the day but can they maintain that dominance on the rest of the race tracks only time and results forthcoming will tell.

Carrera were the cars to be driving when we hit the GT class which makes for a nice change. Carrera seldom get to dominate when it comes to racing but they showed their drivability last night ahead of some good Scalextric cars and a few struggling Fly cars which is a real role reversal for the field of GT cars. I purposefully barred Slot-It and NSR cars from being eligible and I think it worked out to be a good move in allowing the so called lesser brands to have their day in the sun. The BMW Z4 was not an obvious choice for the class but it certainly proved to be the wisest one. The fact the cars were well prepared also helped but the platform with which to build on was the cornerstone of the race results. Well done to Garry for being a little more consistent with his Scalextric GT to put it ahead of the mega fast Z4's. I did think I was in with a chance with several of my cars but it was not to be. I think turning 50 just recently and/or the influence of the evil alcohol may have hindered my well thought out evil plans for class dominance.

When it came to F1 was anyone really going to beat the 2 guys at the front? But I did enjoy racing side by side with Garry for many heats which made for a fun nights racing. Thanks Garry. Finally the best part of the day for me was when John took me for a drive in his sensational Porsche 930 Turbo and then let me take the wheel on the way home. easily the fastest and best car I have ever driven,.......ever. The stories I am going to tell the boys at work! It was a real pleasure and honour to have been allowed the privilege to drive the car John and many thanks for a experience of a life time.

Cheers,

Perro