A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

New to hobby

Local racing fixtures and results
Rypien
Spectator

New to hobby

Post by Rypien »

G'day lads,

Not sure if this is in the right section of the forums, if not apologies.

I've never raced 1:32 scale slot cars before. 15 years ago i raced some 'box womp' and the odd 'HO Scale AFX' slot cars for fun. But recently i've been looking at the great range of Scalextric cars and tracks and have been really impressed.

I love all things motorsport and the quality of the replicas in 1:32 is awesome. I'd love to start collecting some JGTC and GT style cars (along with some historics). But where to start....?

I'm on the Gold Coast and was wondering if anyone could point in in the right direction of any local shops that deal with 1:32 or if there are any tracks locally that i could run. I tried to find iLol industries but it seems to have shut its doors. Stumbled across this forum and have enjoyed reading some of the race write ups.

So, any local shops/tracks?

cheers.
If it ain't a rota, it ain't a motor.
Perro
Team Strategist

Re: New to hobby

Post by Perro »

Hi and welcome. Try iLOL at Gibb Street, Arundel. QLD 4214. Jamie has just moved from 14 Gibb St to a new spot just further up the road. A great guy and great shop and then just wait until you see his tracks. Amazing. Ph 550 6204

Cheers,

Glen
Rypien
Spectator

Post by Rypien »

Hey mate.

I drove along Gibbs Street and couldn't find the shop. I though it was No 14 unit 1 but it was empty. Had a quick look along the road but couldn't see it. Might have to do another drive by so to speak.

EDIT: Found the new location at the end of Gibbs Street across the road. Got there and met the guys. Good blokes. I saw all three of their tracks and they are impressive. Saw the early stages of an upstairs LAN room for PC racing (which i'm also into). Bought myself a Ninco Porsche GT car and have left it with them to run in, get tyres right, and add some magnets. Can't wait to pick her up and do some laps. Apparently they run GT cars on Wednsday evenings. 8)
methomann6868
Telemetry

Post by methomann6868 »

Hey Mate, Welcome to 1/32 Slot car racing, You have chosen well with the Ninco Gt Porsche, I don`t think you will be needing to add any extra magnet into your car. Maybe a stronger magnet if you want. All 1/32 scale cars come with a magnet in them these days and are ready to race straight out of the box. Thats why they are called RTR Cars. Anyway maybe a little lead weight you might need to add to your car that you can pick up from Bunnings in small sheets. Very easy to cut with tin snips or maybe go to your local Tyre Mechanic and buy some lead weight strips off them. But make sure that there lead weight strips ad not stainless steal strips. Take a look in the technical section of Slot Car Outhouse it tells you in there how to work out the ratio of where to position your weights.
Im sure you will have alot of fun with 1/32 scale slot-ties. :grin:
Lets go Racing

Rhys McCormick
Rypien
Spectator

Post by Rypien »

Cheers.

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the rules of the various classes within 1:32 but will look forward to getting educated. Also looking forward to seeing how you can set up and prepare these cars.

Thanks for the tip of adding lead weight.

As far as adding magnets, i've just left it with the iLol guys. Apparently they run the GT class with a certain limit of magnet downforce (or something similar) that they test with a special machine they have. I think they are adding an extra magnet to get it up to the limit. Also going to run the engine in for me and also make sure the tyres are good. I drove a Lambo that these guys had done similar things too and it was soo much faster and more consistent than my out of the box Porsche.

But like i said, i'm new to 1:32 and need to read up on how things are done and the rules and regs. Loving the variety of brands, classes, and cars in this class soo far. Looking forward to starting racing and collecting cars 8)

Just need to source a nice 787B and some sort of RX7 or RX8 GT style bodykit to fit the Ninco :-) Then perhaps look at getting my own controller (nothing too flash). Soo much to learn.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Just need to source a nice 787B
Slot.it make one, but the new kid on the block is mr.slotcar. A feast for the scale purist.

look here
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche