The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Legends results - Boondall.

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Legends results - Boondall.

Post by wixwacing »

Once again the madness of a Slotcar Legends meeting took place at the highly technical circuit at Boondall. With fourteen racers in attendance and a race card designed to catch one or two out, all that was left was to get racing underway; and at 3.00 pm that’s exactly what happened. First up. Go karts. Now there’s a wild card. I’m not sure but I don’t think these have been raced in earnest since the millennium! With a few spares available for those who didn't have them, racing got under way.

Surprisingly more drivable than expected, Jordan (track owner) blitzed his first heat, it later transpired he had been making some go-kart tyres from his secret tyre plant and second place was not going to be an option. Others struggled with the tyres but as it happened talent was going to be the main ingredient, new tyres or not.

Heat four saw Norm shoot off into the lead and there was a bit of a scramble for position behind him eventually Paul managed a few inspiring laps and caught Norm up on lap 22. Then it was up to Norm to keep up but Paul was on mission and it wasn’t going to happen. While all this was going on, Kev was quietly carving out a name for himself and when the heats were over, it was the silent achiever who took the honours.

Next up was Nascars, Mmmmm? Fast cars for a twisty track. Scaley, SCX and Carrera were the main contenders and there was nothing to choose between them. Once again it was going to be up to individual talent to decide who would head the final results.

Shenanigans were still part of the race format. In one particular heat the marshalls were beside themselves with panic. Continuous deslotting on the same two lanes kept them more that busy. It could be understandable that Allan had some traction problems but when Paul was also deslotting with regularity, questions needed to be asked.

It was finally tracked down to both guys having their models on each others lanes. A mix up from the start which was quite amazing. While Paul was watching his car, Allan was driving it for him; and Allan did vice versa with Paul’s car. Not the first time this has ever happened but I was amazed that it was allowed to go on for some three or four laps!!

Quickest on the track was Gary. He ran one heat at an average of 4.9 secs a lap and had a fastest lap of 4.7 secs. No one else managed to get anywhere near this.

Last up was the final round of the Can Am trophy. A class that was born in semi controversy but was to finish in harmony and good racing. The main contenders made their mark on the proceedings in the early heats and the rest had to grab points where they could find them. Norm as always was blitzing his heats and Justin was very impressive at times.

Eggy’s car was flying and he was fairly dominant in his heats for a while. Ken was on the receiving end of more bad driving than he was used too, partly because of his attempts to race the leaders from a backmarkers position. I myself seem to recall knocking him off more than a couple of time, but when the going gets tough.............

The biggest task was going to be staying clear of the backmarkers, and for some it proved impossible and a period in the hands of the marshalls was par for most of the heats. But finally the ordeal....and the series was over. And so the computer spat out the results and all that was left was for Bob, at his leisure, to compile the series results. Stay tuned.

Many thanks to Jordan and Therese for allowing us to their home and also many thanks to Jordan for the Barbeque and other comestibles. Once again a fabulous evening of slotcar racing and one not to be forgotten.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!