The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slotcar Legends results - Narangaburgring

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slotcar Legends results - Narangaburgring

Post by wixwacing »

First Saturday of the month and once again, slotcar Legends congregate to join battle at the Narangburgring in Brisbanes Northern suburbs. Special guest this moth was Chris Uttley who was up at the Gold Coast with his family, and as with every slotista, the draw of the track and the smell of ozone outweighs all other callings. Chris and I drove via Clontarf where we paid a visit to Adrian at Red Racer and while ther picked up a couple of Revell Mercedes 300 SE’s which just happened to be on clearance.

Travelling on we reached Narangba and most of the guys were there ready to go. Three classes today were NC1/8 touring cars, Modern GT unrestricted and the first round of the Slotcar Legends Classic Can – Am trophy. The ‘ring is a short but testing circuit and a model which is quick on most circuits needs to be even quicker here! The track also has its fair share of squeezes and this calls for the racers to be alert as well! A big ask for the legends!! But no matter, first up is a tour of the race boxes and a look at the new goodies.

First up was the UK Scalex club model. Local racer Chris had his on display and very nice it is too. It is a Mercedes GT722 SLR McLaren. Very nicely modelled and very well made. The tampo is practically faultless.

Another model which I am partial to is the latest Fly Lola T70 Mk lll in a very striking red!

The Eggmeister had brought along his latest acquisition in the form of the new Flyslot Alfa TZ2 another red delight!

But cente stage had to be centre stage was the Scaley Ltd Ed. Brawn GP……Mmmmmmmmmm! A very smart model……And owner Paul assures me it goes very well too!!

With minutes ticking away it was time for the first event, a last minute clamber for practice subsided and it was on. One thing with NC1’s is that if you slip up at anytime, you have to hope the race is long enough to claw your way back, and with NC1/8’s there isn’t usually much more than one lap between first and fourth.

The first ‘contra temp’ of the evening was more a biological , than a racing one. A particularly large gentleman from the land of ginger decided to use diversionary tactics which required adjoining racers to hold their breaths for almost their heat duration!! Racing eventually settled in and Chris D battled with his tricky Ninco CLK which refused to cooperate. It wasn’t until we put some extra weight in it that he actually finished a heat at the front!

The writing was on the wall and inspite of some close run battles between the front runners, Eggy showed us that he didn’t need any diversionary tactics and was capable of winning in his own right. One to eggy and the rest to prove themselves.

Next class was GT unrestricted motor. Some present thought this was going to be a Slot.it whitewash, but as it happens, a lot of racers decided not to use their Slot Its for every heat and the final result saw a good cross section of models. I managed to pull off heat two with my SCX Ferrari F40 to my surprise.

The track owner had obviously been doing some practice on the lead up to the race as he was very difficult to catch in most heats and it was going to be up to other racers and the marshalls to make sure he didn’t steal a victory. As it happened, Paul managed to squeeze out a five second lead over the heats and that was enough to give him victory. Gary was only a few seconds behind John too but turn-up for the books was ken who took a convincing lead for the boys from Group B!!!

A break ensued and there were pizza refreshments for the participants and after a meaningful discussion of most topics under the sun it was back to serious racing and the featured class to contest.

It has taken some time to establish exactly what models would qualify for this class and in the end, most people have conformed and there was a good show of classic Can Am cars including Glen’s Vanquish McLaren, a truly wide car! An expected show of Carrera Models in various degrees of set up and spread well across the results. Also making an appearance where an HSRR McLaren and an SCX Chapparal both driven by Paul. And he took the SCX Chappie to victory in its heat, red faces all round?

Alan showed true metal and was holding his own in the heats but a momentary lapse in concentration and whilst watching a car he thought his own, he managed to park it rather heavily at the end of ther main straight, making several in attendance look up!

We finally managed to get through the race and when it was time for the computer to display the good, the bad and the ugly, it seems the good were down the list and Eggy had stolen the result while the rest of us were being smug. Well done Eggy!

Once again a great race meeting and as always a lot of fun both on and off the track. I’m sure I peak for everyone when I say we look forward to John’s next meeting. In the meantime, where next???

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!